Options
    whoa, that's some seriously impressive eating @The_Enginerd

like super impressive.

i'm impressed.
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Don't think about what may or may not be 1 or 3 years down the road, take it one day at a time. If you get to a point that you've reached a goal and feel that you've outgrown the need for MFP, then that is the time to make that decision, but cross that bridge when you get to it. Now is not that time, so don't think too much of it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hey,

Like many of you, I joined this site because I wanted to make a lasting change in my diet and to hopefully lose a couple of pounds in the process. I have been logging religiously over the past 20 days and it has gone well.

The main issue for me is that I don't see this process as sustainable long term. (1) I feel like an accountant every time I eat, (2) Every meal feels like a business transaction with legal paperwork to sign, (3) I went from eating out twice a day to once in 20 days as my usual spots don't allow accurate logging, (4) I no longer judge food by just its taste - everything is a real estate deal with calories replacing money.

Anyone else having success with logging but wary of it being something that they can stick to long term?

I always considered this a learning tool...I never intended it to be a forever kind of thing. I always thought it akin to training wheels on a bike...eventually, you just learn to ride and the training wheels come off.

I started when I was 38 and lost my weight over the course of about 8-9 months...hopefully I'll live to a ripe old age...the idea that I would log for the next 40-50 years seemed pretty ridiculously unrealistic.

I learned a lot when I was losing and applied what I learned when I went to maintenance...I've maintained more or less going on 5 years this spring...I maintain healthy eating habits as well as regular exercise habits. My normal now is much different than my normal 5+ years ago...if you think you can just go back to your old ways, you'll likely have another thing coming.

I typically put on 5-10 Lbs over the late fall through early winter which is due in large part to the cycling season coming to an end and me becoming less active...I usually start getting back into the swing of things in January/February as my first cycling event is usually in mid April and the weight comes right off when I start training again and all of the holiday festivities and whatnot have come to an end.

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I've logged just about every single day since April 2011. It's easy for me!
  • sandy_taylor13
    sandy_taylor13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    For me, I have been on this site before, logged and lost weight, then stopped logging and gained the weight back (probably have done this 3 times). So this time, I'm not stopping. I lost the weight and I will continue to log so it doesn't come back. Just my own experience, if it is out of sight it is out of my mind and the weight will creep back up.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Logging gets to be second nature after a while if you keep going. It's always an estimate with calories in and out. I know I should be more careful with weighing and measuring (I don't) but for me even more than the numbers, it's a food "diary" ... I can look back at what I ate when, and it helps me remember that day and see trends over time.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    People lose weight all the time without logging. Is it sustainable? For some people. Others will not sustain their loss.
    Logging is a tool. It is a sustainable practice if it helps you. If not you have to find of different way of doing things.

You know you have to take in fewer calories than before whether you log or not. You have to make changes if you want to lose weight. If you want to eat out more start choosing lower calorie foods and drinks when you eat out or only eat half of what you used to. Learn calorie counts of foods and drinks you often consume. Learn more appropriate portion sizes.
  • db121215
    db121215 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had your same concern. How would I live like this, always being so obsessed with every morsel and beverage. Are the calories on the menu? What if it's not a chain restaurant, they won't have calorie information. I started in Feb 2017. Logged til August 2017. I lost about 65 lbs in that time. I also learned about food and that's important. You won't always be able to know the calories in X dish, but you know what is generally a better choice. I haven't logged since August. Made it through my bachelorette party, bridal shower, wedding, rejoices via food/drink that I didn't HAVE to worry about the damn dress fitting anymore, an all inclusive honeymoon, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Still down an additional 10lbs from August. I was warned by a friend. He said DON'T stop doing exactly what you've done to lose the weight. For him, he lost a ton and then stopped logging and went backwards. He needed to log to be held accountable, to see with him own eyes. I, so far, don't need to. Everyone is going to have different needs. Hang in there.
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Logged for 825 days today. Keeps me accountable, and it doesn't take but 5 minutes a day. A lot of the time I prelog my day and it is even faster for me.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I don't see it as any different from watching how much money goes into your checking account compared to how much goes back out... And I have become comfortable with the fact that I will likely log calories for the rest of my life if I want to maintain my weight, once I reach goal. But I'm fine with that. It's amazing how people don't want to spend time and effort on their bodies but will spend it doing just about anything else, no matter how useful (or useless) the other things may be... Do you want to invest in your health or just hope it works out for the best?
  • db121215
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »
    I don't see it as any different from watching how much money goes into your checking account compared to how much goes back out... And I have become comfortable with the fact that I will likely log calories for the rest of my life if I want to maintain my weight, once I reach goal. But I'm fine with that. It's amazing how people don't want to spend time and effort on their bodies but will spend it doing just about anything else, no matter how useful (or useless) the other things may be... Do you want to invest in your health or just hope it works out for the best?

I don't hawk my checking account. I know what I direct deposit and what I spend. I'm not rich nor in debt. I get your analogy, but some people may not need to spend the time and effort involved in long term logging. Indeed they are fortunate. Some may need to. Neither is right or wrong. It's dependent on what will work for that specific individual. And there's only one way to find out...there lies the rub for each of us.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    db121215 wrote: »

I don't hawk my checking account. I know what I direct deposit and what I spend. I'm not rich nor in debt. I get your analogy, but some people may not need to spend the time and effort involved in long term logging. Indeed they are fortunate. Some may need to. Neither is right or wrong. It's dependent on what will work for that specific individual. And there's only one way to find out...there lies the rub for each of us.

I think it's a very good analogy. Some people have enough money in their accounts that as long as they spend reasonably, they can check their statement at the end of the month and be confident that they are not overdrawn. Some are one careless purchase away from being overdrawn and need to pay attention to each debit. You probably know which you are!
  • db121215
    Options
    db121215 wrote: »

I think it's a very good analogy. Some people have enough money in their accounts that as long as they spend reasonably, they can check their statement at the end of the month and be confident that they are not overdrawn. Some are one careless purchase away from being overdrawn and need to pay attention to each debit. You probably know which you are!

Agreed on good analogy. I get it. Only one way to find out which person you are.
  • melissawill2017
    melissawill2017 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I think it completely depends on your personality type. I don't mind the daily logging and the longer you do it the easier it gets because I tend to eat a lot of the same foods. I do find it tedious at times; especially if I'm cooking a new recipe and need to weigh and measure everything out, but I figure it's just a small price to pay to help reach my goals. I love the accountability of logging my food intake and it really does help me to stay on track with portion control. I don't know if it's something I will continue for life, but I've always had the most success in dieting by logging my food.
  • JullzGood
    JullzGood Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Logging is super benifitial. And if you have staple meals you eat almost daily, it becomes a breeze. Been logging for like 410 days straight and it's just becomes second nature. You don't even think about it. And I contribute weighing and logging my food to all my success.
    -from someone who has lost over 100 pounds and still going within a year and a half. Keep up the logging!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I have done it on and off for several years personally. Once I get in good routines I log less, but if I start getting off track I find logging to be a great way to remind myself WHY things are off track.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

One need not log to be invested in their health and wellness...just because one doesn't log doesn't mean they're just hoping for the best.

I haven't logged in years...I'm very much invested in my health and wellness...I'm certainly not just sitting around hoping everything works out.

Most of the people in my circle of friends and family are lean, healthy, and fit...not a single one of them logs a food diary.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It depends on how many calories the food is Lounmoun, if someone is eating more than their body needs they will not lose weight and are likely to gain. One must have an iron will and a good eye for portion sizes to lose weight without tracking.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    whoa, that's some seriously impressive eating @The_Enginerd

like super impressive.

i'm impressed.
    I'm :o