Frustrated - 3 weeks no loss.

Options

Replies

• etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    How do you guys manage to weigh everything? You can't weigh everything for the rest of your lives. People look at that like a disorder. I rather not stress about it and give myself a disorder on top of depression and things I already have.

I am just weighing my food during my weight loss journey and hoping I get an idea of how many calories are in certain serving sizes. I definitely do not plan on doing it for the rest of my life as it is a bit tedious in my opinion. You could go about it this was as well! It's worth it so I can deal with it for the time being.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Like @quiksylver296 said above, spend $20 and treat it as an experiment. People are extremely bad at judging serving sizes, to the extent that they might be eating twice as many calories as they think. It won't give you a disorder to weigh your food for four weeks - or even just one week - but you will have some highly valuable data, plus a useful kitchen tool.
  • db121215
    db121215 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Weighing my portions helped me learn what an actual portion of food really looks like. I still use the scale for stuff I make at home since it's so easy anyway, but I'm much better at eyeballing portions when I'm out thanks to the time I spent logging accurately. And I stress way less about my diet now that I know my numbers are right.

If you aren't using a scale, you are probably eating more than you think. If you don't want to use a scale for whatever reason, lower your calorie total a little to make up for the innacuracies you are probably logging and eventually you should hit a number that works. Understand that to eat 1800 cals you may need to log only 1400 without a food scale (that's how off I was back when I didn't weigh).

Even if you only use it for a few weeks, at least it will shine a light on where you are missing calories and what you can do to fix it.

Historically I remember saying "Ohh, it's chicken, it's good for you" and just cooking it and devouring.
    When this all began for me, the first thing I weighed was chicken breast. I weighed what I would normally consume in a sitting. Oh my! Yeah, I had zero concept of portions to actual calories. Eye opening experienced. Same with coffee creamers - OOFA. Now, I've banished them and use almond milk.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    It's either weigh and log or be fat in my case. I've lost 35 lbs. (and I'm not that strict with weighing yet) but I log every day. Before that I was eating 2x what I should have been eating in terms of calories. It is shocking sometimes to see what a "serving" is and the calories in certain foods. Nuts for example--I used to eat a LOT of nuts and I can see now where I was wracking up hundreds of calories a day eating something that I thought was healthy--and they are but one needs to be mindful of how many/calories one is eating to stay on track with weight.