Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Men'n'Women'n'Health'n'Popular Culture

Options
AnnPT77
AnnPT77 Posts: 32,506 Member
I have no particular axe to grind with this, but I find it amusing to compare and contrast similar health/fitness magazines aimed at men and women. It doesn't get more similar - in theory - than Women's Health and Men's Health. Here are the covers of their annuals, just in time for New Year's resolutioners.

Any reactions?
uqph2ey6ipdy.jpg

My first was: At least they cut off both their heads. ;)

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't have much of a reaction to either of them. I'm a little disappointed that the women's one depicts that as "strong", but that's more based on my own preferences.

I do agree with the previous comment that the women's image seems more attainable/maintainable than does the men's, but I'm a man and only relate to one of them.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I have no particular axe to grind with this, but I find it amusing to compare and contrast similar health/fitness magazines aimed at men and women. It doesn't get more similar - in theory - than Women's Health and Men's Health. Here are the covers of their annuals, just in time for New Year's resolutioners.

Any reactions?
    uqph2ey6ipdy.jpg

My first was: At least they cut off both their heads. ;)

Same publisher, same general idea on content.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Belly fat reduction is a universal goal.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    I note the poses.

<interesting, frank, provocative, insightful comments snipped>.

Instead of us remembering - these are actual people, and while you can have the best body YOU can have, you can't have these bodies because you are a completely different person from these models.

I'd go further: Even these two people can't precisely have these bodies.

Photoshop, I'm certain.

I bet they even photoshopped her abs away to make her look softer.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Vune wrote: »
    I note the poses.

Instead of us remembering - these are actual people, and while you can have the best body YOU can have, you can't have these bodies because you are a completely different person from these models.

Photoshop, I'm certain.

And her left shoulder looks wonky.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,506 Member
    Options
    Vune wrote: »
    I note the poses.

Photoshop, I'm certain.

And her left shoulder looks wonky.

Now that you mention it, the whole upper arm to shoulder area looks a little odd. Perhaps she got "too bulky"? ;)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    The ideal body of a woman has changed over your and my lifetime. The ideal body of a man hasn't changed in 5000 years.

Hmm, don't think I agree - I feel the body most men actually train for has changed massively in my lifetime (DOB 1960).
    When I was young the (main) aspiration in gyms was to be big and strong - not big and very, very lean. Strength and size rather than aesthetics.

I simply don't remember the obsession with abs and muscle definition at all outside of what was a tiny niche of bodybuilders.

Eat / train / beer as opposed to supplement / train / sun bed perhaps?

That sounds about right.

I think if anything, guys have become more body conscious and more concerned with showing off muscle rather than what the muscle can actually do for them.

And the abs obsession is definitely something that was not around 40 years ago. Men or women.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    This is the reason I prefer Oxygen magazine. Big, strong women. Though, to be honest, I'm annoyed by their 1600 cal "muscle building" plans.
  • tomasart
    tomasart Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    He has a better tan.