what you eat matters; for satiety

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,401 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Lazy Sunday noon, I decided on a little experiment.

I usually eat about 55% carbs. Bread, rice, potatoes, pasta etc work best for me. So instead of having a lunch of two slices of wholegrain bread with ham for lunch a friend inspired me to eat something more colourful. I had a big bowl of skyr with lots of fresh fruits (banana, melons, grapes and kiwi) and a few nuts. I managed to get exactly the same macros as my bread lunch, that keeps me full until dinner time.

Right. 50 minutes after this very delicious lunch I'm hungry again. Back to bread then.

Note: this is for me. Everybody is different. Some people feel great eating green salads, others proteins or fats. So it's very individual. You have to find what works best for you.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its fat and carbs that keep me fuller, longer.

though, it seems to be different for everyone.
  • yirara
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

I usually eat about 55% carbs. Bread, rice, potatoes, pasta etc work best for me. So instead of having a lunch of two slices of wholegrain bread with ham for lunch a friend inspired me to eat something more colourful. I had a big bowl of skyr with lots of fresh fruits (banana, melons, grapes and kiwi) and a few nuts. I managed to get exactly the same macros as my bread lunch, that keeps me full until dinner time.

Right. 50 minutes after this very delicious lunch I'm hungry again. Back to bread then.

Fruit does absolutely nothing for me...

For me neither. Though I was curious still. But like I said: everyone is different.
  • yirara
    Options

For me neither. Though I was curious still. But like I said: everyone is different.

Same with low fat.....if I have low fat yogurt with my muesli I'm hungry within an hour...make it full fat and I'm good for a while

Well.. I don't digest fats well, thus eating a diet high in fat doesn't do much for me anyway, other than more frequent visits to the loo.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    And for me it's more fats and proteins that keep me Fuller longer. I tried to get at least 20 grams of protein a meal if not more.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Me neither, I can't eat it as a snack.

Protein and fat for me!
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    For me it's protein and carbs/fiber, with the emphasis on protein. Volume eating (e.g. the way some people eat huge bowls of low calorie salad) does nothing for me except drive me nuts with frustration :)

I agree that it matters for satiety, and clearly everyone is different but there seam to be a few patterns: either higher calory density foods (with perhaps an emphasis on specific macros) or high volume.

Oh and fruit - I love the taste of it but it is absolutely useless to me for satiety (except if it is a banana or avocado...) I try to work in one serving of fruit most days but if I need to cut anything in order to work in a treat, fruit is the first to go.
  • CatL1911
    CatL1911 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've found this to be true in the short term, but when I've done low carb diets in the past, after a couple initial (kind of miserable) weeks in the beginning, I then find myself staying full even on high protein and fat/low carb meals. Not that low carb is necessary for everyone, I just think your body can adjust if you need it to.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Fibre for me.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Protein is king for me. If I hit my protein goals I don't pay much attention to where I end up with respect to fat or carbs. I do have to watch my consumption of sugary or low fibre carbs (white rice, white bread etc) because I'm far more likely to overeat when I have them, but I think there's more going on than just satiety issues.

After protein, consumption of fruits and veggies is my focus. It may be that I am just keeping my fibre levels high by doing so, or there may be something else involved. I'm not convinced that if I met the same fibre levels with bran for instance that I would feel satisfied/satiated to the same degree.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    For those of you satiated by protein, does this include when you have a shake? Or just protein from foods?

Honestly curious.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    For those of you satiated by protein, does this include when you have a shake? Or just protein from foods?

Honestly curious.

Shakes do absolutely nothing for me lol. Though i learned to "fool" my brain, I add alot of spinach and thn when i want mroe food i put it off as long as i can telling myself spinach digests badly with other foods(Even though i eat spinach with all my other foods fine lol) so i need to let it do its thing before eating again lol. So in that way atleast a shake holds me over for a few hours xD
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Honestly curious.

Protein from shakes and bars work for me.

ETA Obviously I don't live on them, I try to eat food as much as possible for a variety of reasons, but when I'm pressed for time, they work for sure.

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

Honestly curious.

Works for me, although fat is my most satiating macro. A protein shake made with full fat milk will last me as long as a regular meal. But I'm not a volume eater. I doubt that would work for someone who is.
  • caiteh86
    caiteh86 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake with frozen banana and spinach right after the gym...keeps me full for about an hour and then I have a salad with chicken or scrambled eggs and toast. The one food that really fills me up is natural Peanut Butter mixed into steel cut oats...hits all the right spots!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Honestly curious.

Works for me, although fat is my most satiating macro. A protein shake made with full fat milk will last me as long as a regular meal. But I'm not a volume eater. I doubt that would work for someone who is.

Ya im a bulk eater who also has the socially embarassing need to eat with my hands. I love textures and need alot of texture in my food likely why it doesn't work for me lol. Little to no texture in a smoothie. Likely more a mental block in my case.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    This is really interesting because I'm trying to avoid bread because it just doesn't keep me full. Give me toast for breakfast (yes, wholemeal) and I'm starving 2h later. But I can eat a banana for breakfast and not need anything else for lunch.

So on "good" days my meals are mostly centred around loads and loads of vegetables plus some protein. This time around I'm not cutting out all bread, pasta etc because that didn't work last time. I'm trying really hard to get my portion control in check. It works ok with pasta and potatoes but just doesn't work with bread *sigh*
  • Sojo15
    Sojo15 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Banana Shake with PB2 and banana and some raspberries fills me up. I managed to keep my diet much easier by eating at least 2 boiled eggs per day.