what you eat matters; for satiety

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    For those of you satiated by protein, does this include when you have a shake? Or just protein from foods?

Honestly curious.

Protein shake to drink plus a spoonful of peanut butter to eat for fat would work. Protein on it's own, not really.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    For those of you satiated by protein, does this include when you have a shake? Or just protein from foods?

Honestly curious.

Protein shake to drink plus a spoonful of peanut butter to eat for fat would work. Protein on it's own, not really.

very good point lol. All the people who find the protein shakes satisfying are all adding other things thn just powder, Minimalist "smoothies" with just water and powder i sense wouldnt have near as many satisfied people lol
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Real food fills me up. Protein at every meal. I need fiber as well so I include beans or a multigrains.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I need starchy carbs. Bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, anything like that. Beans and lentils as well. I did low carb for 2 years and I was always hungry. I can have 6 eggs cooked in fat and be hungry an hour later, but 1 egg on a piece of toast will last me all morning. Large amounts of vegetables don’t do it for me either. I’ve eaten huge salads with a ton of vegetables and protein in it and 45 minutes later I’d feel hungrier than before I ate it. Fruit is the same, an apple wouldn’t even take my hunger away for 5 minutes.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Lazy Sunday noon, I decided on a little experiment.

I usually eat about 55% carbs. Bread, rice, potatoes, pasta etc work best for me. So instead of having a lunch of two slices of wholegrain bread with ham for lunch a friend inspired me to eat something more colourful. I had a big bowl of skyr with lots of fresh fruits (banana, melons, grapes and kiwi) and a few nuts. I managed to get exactly the same macros as my bread lunch, that keeps me full until dinner time.

Right. 50 minutes after this very delicious lunch I'm hungry again. Back to bread then.

Fruit does absolutely nothing for me...

Me neither,,in fact I feel it makes me MORE hungry!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I usually eat about 55% carbs. Bread, rice, potatoes, pasta etc work best for me. So instead of having a lunch of two slices of wholegrain bread with ham for lunch a friend inspired me to eat something more colourful. I had a big bowl of skyr with lots of fresh fruits (banana, melons, grapes and kiwi) and a few nuts. I managed to get exactly the same macros as my bread lunch, that keeps me full until dinner time.

Right. 50 minutes after this very delicious lunch I'm hungry again. Back to bread then.

Note: this is for me. Everybody is different. Some people feel great eating green salads, others proteins or fats. So it's very individual. You have to find what works best for you.

Yes, that's my experience too -- what I eat matters for satiety, but it's not particularly about macros, or not macros alone.

I find fruit filling (also veg, also potatoes, but not bread), and I've never found full fat yogurt or higher fat cuts of meat more filling than lower fat, but as others have said, these are how I experience them, others will be different.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    I need starchy carbs. Bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, anything like that. Beans and lentils as well. I did low carb for 2 years and I was always hungry. I can have 6 eggs cooked in fat and be hungry an hour later, but 1 egg on a piece of toast will last me all morning. Large amounts of vegetables don’t do it for me either. I’ve eaten huge salads with a ton of vegetables and protein in it and 45 minutes later I’d feel hungrier than before I ate it. Fruit is the same, an apple wouldn’t even take my hunger away for 5 minutes.

That’s interesting. I’m exactly the opposite. 6 eggs cooked in fat would fill me up from morning until dinner, almost. I need some fiber too. I believe you, but it’s just interesting how different we all are.

Yes, that’s why low carb was so frustrating to me. Everyone always talked about how eating that way took their hunger away, and it didn’t matter how low I took my carbs and how much fat and vegetables I ate, I was always so hungry. By the end of the 2 years I had put on 40lbs from just eating enough to try to feel full.
    whitpauly wrote: »

Fruit does absolutely nothing for me...

Me neither,,in fact I feel it makes me MORE hungry!

Yep, a lot more hungry! Especially apples for some reason.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

That’s interesting. I’m exactly the opposite. 6 eggs cooked in fat would fill me up from morning until dinner, almost. I need some fiber too. I believe you, but it’s just interesting how different we all are.

6 eggs cooked in fat wouldn't last long for me, without something more.

There's a huge variety of breakfasts that satisfy me, and the macros usually don't matter much, but the exception is high fat, low fiber (or high carb, low fiber). A plain bagel is not satisfying, pancakes with nothing else (but syrup) won't last, but neither will the same number of calories from bacon and eggs.

Chicken breast, potato, and lots of veg -- which is very low fat -- would be one of the highest satiety meals for me, and beans also are enormously satiating for me. Luckily I don't need every meal to be super satiating, though, and can eat a variety of foods. Fat adds to pleasure which adds to my overall feeling of satisfaction with my diet, so it's important for me although I don't think it helps with satiety (for me).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Honestly curious.

I need protein *with* carbs, not by itself, so no, shakes alone won't do it, though they used to when I was less active.

I tend to need a solid mix of protein, fiber, starch, and fat to feel satiated. So basically, a balanced diet with an emphasis on protein.

I had to go back to this because I'm picky this way:
    CatL1911 wrote: »
    I've found this to be true in the short term, but when I've done low carb diets in the past, after a couple initial (kind of miserable) weeks in the beginning, I then find myself staying full even on high protein and fat/low carb meals. Not that low carb is necessary for everyone, I just think your body can adjust if you need it to.

This is a common point made by many low carb advocates, saying that everyone will adjust to it given enough time, and I think it's overly simplistic. The point isn't whether you adjust or not, it's whether the adjustment leaves you feeling optimal. A lot of people have gone through that adjustment period and have decided for various reasons including mood changes, athletic performance, sleep issues, and yes, appetite issues -- that low carbing wasn't optimal for them.

And that was after electrolyte supplementation and letting the body adjust. Not everyone responds well to eating that way. Saying that they will is a fallacy.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    Protein, fat, and fiber fill me up.

To People saying this doesn’t fill them up, do you sit down and eat 12 ounces of chicken, have a huge serving of broccoli, and an apple and tell me you’re not so full that it’s hard to breathe?

That’s how I feel. And it sticks with me all day. I almost dread dinner because lunch almost killed me. My dinners are bigger than my lunches.

I know we’re all different. But, carbs just don’t do it for me.

Well, I don't eat meat, but I could have all that broccoli with some cottage cheese, but I'd need some starch with that to feel full. A little potato, maybe.

So yeah, I wouldn't be so full from that, nope. And yes, I'm a volume eater. It would be a pound of broccoli.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

I know, isn't it? Threads like these are helpful for newbies, I think because they serve to highlight how we each have to find what best suits us. Protein does seem to be a constant.

BTW, the eggs alone wouldn't fill me up. I'd need potatoes and veggies with them, and just a little teeny amount of fat to cook them all in.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options

I know, isn't it? Threads like these are helpful for newbies, I think because they serve to highlight how we each have to find what best suits us. Protein does seem to be a constant.

BTW, the eggs alone wouldn't fill me up. I'd need potatoes and veggies with them, and just a little teeny amount of fat to cook them all in.

*chips in* I'm not a protein girl ;) Starchy carbs and grains baked or cooked work best for me.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options

Honestly curious.

I prefer to eat my calories, not drink them (except for alcochol). So I don't do shakes. I am also one of thos people who don't see the point in smoothies. I found whey protein in yoghurt with some bran added makes a great snack for me at work, fills right up that little pit that forms between lunch and dinner.
  • gcaracciolo2
    gcaracciolo2 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Ya it's definitely tough to find what works for you. I love yogurt and fruit but the same thing happens to me. I'm hungry very quickly after I've eaten.

It's all about oatmeal for me. I love it and keeps me full for awhile.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    gosh how I wish a banana was filling for me. They're so cheap and my wallet wants me to be full from them but it would take too many bananas for it to work :(
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Ive had this discussion with a friend. She will eat an apple for breakfast and shes full til noon. I eat an apple and 5 minutes later Im so hungry its like I havent eaten for a month.