January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    hjeppley wrote: »
    Brief check in before I try to get some sleep: #BrutallyAwesome was the tagline for the Winter Night Half Marathon I did tonight at Eagle Creek Park in Indianapolis. It certainly lived up to its name! The 3-4 in of snow from earlier was packed down into a sheet of ice in most places on the trail and the trails were treacherous in places (slid down one icy hill). Still managed a decent pace (10:42/mi) and about 30 min slower than a "good" road half marathon for me. Given the conditions I was pretty pleased and I even finished 4th in my age group. I only gained an extra 2 min on the 2nd loop (2 loop course) despite my previous hamstring tweak becoming a bit more than a tweak. Generally felt strong and was passing other people most of the race until maybe the last mile or so. Photo was taken before it got completely dark--we used headlamps the whole way. Now icing my hamstring and finishing off a glass of wine.
    It is really late. This is not an ideal time for a race! 1gdevkq5odzh.jpg

Jan 1 Travel day
    Jan 2 Ran 4 mi + strength and stretching
    Jan 3 Ran 3.4 mi + strength and stretching
    Jan 4 Fail
    Jan 5 Walked 18000 steps at Universal Studios
    Jan 6 Fail because flight was delayed
    Jan 7 Ran 8.0 mi trail and snow + strength and stretching
    Jan 8 Ran 12.4 mi in slush + strength and stretching
    Jan 9 Water walking + strength
    Jan 10 Ran 6.2 mi + strength + stretching
    Jan 11 Ran 4.0 mi + stretching
    Jan 12 Rest
    Jan 13 Ran 10.1 mi + stretching
    Jan 14 Ran 10.0 mi + stretching
    Jan 15 Water walking + strength + stretching
    Jan 16 Ran 4.0 mi on indoor track, last 1 mi fast
    Jan 17 Ran 7.0 mi + yoga + foam rolling
    Jan 18 Ran 4.0 mi + foam rolling + stretching
    Jan 19 Water walking
    Jan 20 Night Half Marathon + extra warm up (13.7 mi total) + foam rolling + stretching

Jan goal: 120 mi
    Done: 86.8 mi
    To go: 33.2 mi

Upcoming races:
    Bound the Mound Half Marathon Feb 24
    OPSF 50/50 50K Mar 24

2018 Plan:
    Spring Fling 10K Mar 3
    DINO Eagle Creek 15K Apr 7
    April 28 Glacial Esker 20 mi Apr 28
    DINO Muscatuck 15K May 5
    DWD Gnawbone Marathon May 19
    DINO Brown County 15K Jun 2
    8 h @ Brown County Jun 16-17
    DINO Griffin Park 15K Jun 23

Big goal for the fall: 50 miler before I turn 50

Wow! A Half? At night? In Indy? In the winter? Were there a lot of participants? It looked crowded for the event. You certainly had better temps than had it been held the previous weekend, but still pretty chilly esp at night.

Congrats! You are really strong and determined!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    kevaasen wrote: »
    Ran F^3 Lake HM yesterday in Chicago. Great sunny day with temps in high 30’s to start with winds less than 10mph. Ran well in a congested start running around Solider Field stadium and the along the lake front out and back. Finished 1:47:20 which wasn’t a PR but not all races can likely have that result. Will keep plugging along to keep training for a hilly March madness HM (running MP vs HMP) and then will see if this Pig can really fly in Cincy in early May.

Wow! Fantastic time! Congratulations!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @bride001 @skippygirlsmom Yep, it's quite a chunk of the race. It's a loop at the far end of the lake and it's very easy to avoid by cutting down a side street. There are monitors on the course to try and stop people from doing this, but they must have missed a couple of people. It didn't affect the top results or age-group winners, so I didn't see the need to say anything. Although I was a bit surprised to see the winner of my age group was most definitely a guy. I think this was a computer glitch and he was very happy to pass his medal to the woman who was second.

Ha ha on the guy. Skip's friend used to hold the girl's 400m record indoor for a meet until we explained to the meet director that he was a guy and not a girl :smiley: It took them almost a year to move him to the boy's results. I was actually at a race where a guy ran with a girl's bib and she tried to claim the 1st place prize. Unfortunately for them the girl who actually won was well known to the race director and he knew for a fact she came in first. Quick look at the photographers photos and long and behold man coming in with her bib on.

@hjeppley fantastic half!! I missed your post earlier.
    @kevaasen super job on your half too!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @bride001 @skippygirlsmom Yep, it's quite a chunk of the race. It's a loop at the far end of the lake and it's very easy to avoid by cutting down a side street. There are monitors on the course to try and stop people from doing this, but they must have missed a couple of people. It didn't affect the top results or age-group winners, so I didn't see the need to say anything. Although I was a bit surprised to see the winner of my age group was most definitely a guy. I think this was a computer glitch and he was very happy to pass his medal to the woman who was second.

One race recently I was SHOCKED to see how well I placed. I won my age group and was way up the ranks. My time was pretty good, but not that good. Turns out my wife's number and mine got swapped in the system. We figured it out in time to get it fixed so the correct people got the medals. Stuff happens I guess.
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »

Wow! A Half? At night? In Indy? In the winter? Were there a lot of participants? It looked crowded for the event. You certainly had better temps than had it been held the previous weekend, but still pretty chilly esp at night.

Congrats! You are really strong and determined!

Yes, the temps were really nice (I wore shorts and didn't even wear my gloves for the second loop) but all that snow and ice was compressed making for a very tricky surface. I think I should have made a pair of "screw shoes". :smiley: About 200 people did the half marathon and about 350 did the quarter marathon. It is a very popular event that sells out earlier and earlier every year. It was my first year doing it. Because it was mostly single track they started us about 40 at a time at 1 min intervals which made for a really crowded first mile or so. I had to do a lot of passing including bypassing the line at the slippery stairs by bounding down the side of the hill instead :blush: Things eventually thinned out so that for the 2nd lap (only the half marathoners) it was really dark and there were times I wasn't sure where I was supposed to go. Some people ahead of us missed a turn. I also discovered that my headlamp doesn't last very long on a 50% charge. It was definitely getting dim by the end and with my gimpy-ness from my hamstring issue and the deteriorating surface conditions (basically a sheet of ice in many places) I slowed way down in the last 2 miles or so because I was afraid of wiping out. Probably cost me 3rd place in my age group (she was only 1 min ahead). In the last mile I managed to step through the ice with one foot on a stream crossing. That was enough to wake me up to get me the last bit of the way! Fun race and lots of crazy people of all abilities.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options

One race recently I was SHOCKED to see how well I placed. I won my age group and was way up the ranks. My time was pretty good, but not that good. Turns out my wife's number and mine got swapped in the system. We figured it out in time to get it fixed so the correct people got the medals. Stuff happens I guess.

@PastorVincent in the case of the 5K race I was in, they did it on purpose he wasn't even entered in the race, she was and he ran for her. It wasn't a mix up. It's funny because Skip and I will look at our chips and bibs like 5 times before a race to make sure we are not wearing each others. I actually write their names on the kids bibs during XC season because they lay them down put them on chairs and everything else before they put them on. Still they sometimes manage to swap shoe chips. ugh!
  • PastorVincent
    Options

@PastorVincent in the case of the 5K race I was in, they did it on purpose he wasn't even entered in the race, she was and he ran for her. It wasn't a mix up. It's funny because Skip and I will look at our chips and bibs like 5 times before a race to make sure we are not wearing each others. I actually write their names on the kids bibs during XC season because they lay them down put them on chairs and everything else before they put them on. Still they sometimes manage to swap shoe chips. ugh!

Oh yeah, in the case I mentioned, my name WAS on the bib I was wearing but it still got swapped. The story you told sounds more deliberate, but I am sure I am not the only one that unknowingly finished with someone else's bib.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @hjeppley congrats on your night half! I have done a 5k at night, which was cool. They lit the course with tiki torches and all that, but yours sounds so much more of an adventure!
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options

Oh yeah, in the case I mentioned, my name WAS on the bib I was wearing but it still got swapped. The story you told sounds more deliberate, but I am sure I am not the only one that unknowingly finished with someone else's bib.

I'm sure if you were wrong someone else probably was too.
  • fithealthygirl
    fithealthygirl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    exercise.png[\img]
  • DauntlessDiva
    DauntlessDiva Posts: 28 Member
    Options

YTD Stats:
    10,881’ gain
    70.89 miles

Jan 21
    14.3mi 2,946’gain
    Bulldog loop with Ta’Mara in 4:13:44, walked the distance! Wow.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    Did 10 miles today... trying out the Nike's for the HM.
    IDK -- I still had pain on the bottom of my feet -- but I can manage.
    It doesn't start till mile 6 or so. I thought it was my Brooks but it happened with these. Maybe my socks.
    A cycling friend mentioned some cream she has for that from the podiatrist. No time for that!
    Oh well, I'll be okay and maybe visit a podiatrist later.

Not ready for school tomorrow. eeeks... lesson plans and grading and lots of stuff to do.

I had pain on the bottom of my foot upon strike for a while. All I could find on it was that there may not be enough coushioning in the fore foot. The Nike's may help being new and perhaps the Brooks were woren. It just may take time for your foot to heal or adjust.

I hadn't had the same pain since adjusting my stride like the skateboarding push off, focusing a bit more on my landing. And I gave up some minimal shoes... Good luck with the HM! And school starting. May all your students be exceptionally bright!
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    01.01.18 - 10 m. TM @ 8:30.
    01.02.18 - 9 m. TM @ 9:15.
    01.04.18 - 8 m. TM @ 9:22 / Bike Trainer for 60 minutes.
    01.05.18 - 8.1 m. TM @ 9:10.
    01.06.18 - 9 m. TM @ 8:40 / Bike Trainer for 60 minutes.
    01.07.18 - 7.4 m. @ 8:31.
    01.08.18 - 8 mm. @ 9:00 pace. / Bike Trainer for 45 minutes.
    01.10.18 - 11 m. 8:31 pace.
    01.11.18 - 5.2 m. 8:40 pace.
    01.12.18 - 4 m. 9:00 pace.
    01.13.18 - 12.8 m. 8:25 pace. / Bike Trainer for 60 minutes.
    01.14.18 - 9 m. 9:20 pace. /Bike Trainer for 90 minutes.
    01.16.18 - 8.5 m. 9:20 pace.
    01.17.18 - 8 m. 9:25 pace. Head wasnt in the right damn place tonight.
    01.18.18 - 9.1 m. 9:22 pace. TM Rolling Hills program.
    01.19.18 - 7.3 m. 8:55 pace
    01.20.18 - 7.4 m. 8:45 pace / Bike Trainer for 60 minutes.
    01.21.18 - 10.7 m. 9:35 pace.

January Goal - 220 total running miles. Begin IM 70.3 Bike Training program.

Upcoming Events:
    1.27.18 - Mississippi Blues Marathon
    3.4.18 - Little Rock Marathon
    4.7.18 - Yakima River Canyon Marathon
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Posted this week's training log earlier today on the blog. Got warned the last time i linked to it, so i wont be posting a link this time.