January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Okay! So my husband and I went out experimentally to see if we were getting up to run tomorrow. Conditions are 20 degrees F, a patchy layer of snow over a thin sheet of black glare ice which was wobbly since it was over water. My trail shoes have rubber nubbins, which helped, which meant I only nearly died about twenty times in half a mile. My husband was basically skating the whole time. We walked around the block, covering .58 miles in 19 minutes. There is not only no safe way to run in this, we can't even safely walk a mile to reach the gym and the treadmill. Incidentally I hate my running gloves - after only twenty minutes my fingertips are still red and painful, and I think the gloves may actually be worse than bare hands - they get wet when I touch something like a car for balance then the water chills my fingers.

Looks like tomorrow is a stationary bike day with some cardio videos and bodyweight strength. I admire all you Viking types who run in all weather but I don't see how you manage. If I tried to take a running stride I would be on my butt instantly.

Sounds like you could use some Yak Trax and some water proof gloves. I bought a pair of the yak Trax a few years ago, but haven't had the conditions to need them. We have something similar issued at work that work great in icy conditions.

Or you could always screw your shoes. Like.... um , who was that? @vandinem ?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Okay! So my husband and I went out experimentally to see if we were getting up to run tomorrow. Conditions are 20 degrees F, a patchy layer of snow over a thin sheet of black glare ice which was wobbly since it was over water. My trail shoes have rubber nubbins, which helped, which meant I only nearly died about twenty times in half a mile. My husband was basically skating the whole time. We walked around the block, covering .58 miles in 19 minutes. There is not only no safe way to run in this, we can't even safely walk a mile to reach the gym and the treadmill. Incidentally I hate my running gloves - after only twenty minutes my fingertips are still red and painful, and I think the gloves may actually be worse than bare hands - they get wet when I touch something like a car for balance then the water chills my fingers.

Looks like tomorrow is a stationary bike day with some cardio videos and bodyweight strength. I admire all you Viking types who run in all weather but I don't see how you manage. If I tried to take a running stride I would be on my butt instantly.

Sounds like you could use some Yak Trax and some water proof gloves. I bought a pair of the yak Trax a few years ago, but haven't had the conditions to need them. We have something similar issued at work that work great in icy conditions.

Honestly, I don't see how Yaxtrax would help much... traction is only about half the problem, the other half is that the ice is over a layer of water, so even if you were glued to the ice the ice is not consistently attached to the pavement. I definitely need some better gloves though! This is my first winter after my diabetes diagnosis and I feel like my circulation in my fingers isn't what it used to be. Twenty degrees is cold, but not THAT cold.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    No running this weekend it seems. Got a bad cold and I am failing the neck test. My chest is congested so I am happy that I can breath and do a walk, but running is simply not an option.
    Not happy about it but I need to take care of this first.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't see how Yaxtrax would help much... traction is only about half the problem, the other half is that the ice is over a layer of water, so even if you were glued to the ice the ice is not consistently attached to the pavement. I definitely need some better gloves though! This is my first winter after my diabetes diagnosis and I feel like my circulation in my fingers isn't what it used to be. Twenty degrees is cold, but not THAT cold.

I have the same problem, and my gloves are waterproof. I have to pull my fingers inside the glove an make a fist to keep them some semblance of warm. The only thing that I know of that actually works is to stick hand warmers in your gloves and still retract your fingers and wrap them around the warmer. I have run for hours doing that. :)

Someone else mentioned these: ProActive Sports Winter Pull Up Mitts

They are basically large mittens you wear over your gloves tath you can pull back when you need access to your fingers. I have a pair but have not used them yet. I do not think I bought a big enough size cause the time I tried, I could not get them over everything, so buy bigger than you think you need.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I see. We don't have much wet cold weather, so I haven't had any experience in it yet. If it snows, or more likely sleets, it's never around very long.

Glad you didn't get hurt out there. 20's cold, not too bad for running. Horrible from car to store, and it's always windy here.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Looks like we got 5" inches and there are cars sliding off the roads around here. Probably warm enough to run outside (think its like 18F now) but with the cars so out of control, might hit the dreadmill. Not sure yet
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Looks like we got 5" inches and there are cars sliding off the roads around here. Probably warm enough to run outside (think its like 18F now) but with the cars so out of control, might hit the dreadmill. Not sure yet

Coming from me, this will be odd, but I think the DM might be the better option......
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Coming from me, this will be odd, but I think the DM might be the better option......

*falls over in shock*
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

*falls over in shock*

Cars are the only thing that really stop me from running... probably why I run mostly trail, since that particular problem goes away in the woods.