January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Ryokat wrote: »
    It's definitely scary living in a place where snow is an abnormality. I grew up in northern Missouri and learned how to drive on snow and ice from the start. These Okies are terrifying in winter driving conditions. They all seem to think their 4wd trucks can compensate for their raw stupidity...

A couple years ago, I drove the Pontiac (G8 GT) on a day that was supposed to be cold and clear. It ended up snowing and sleeting while I was at work and I got to drive home in it. I had very little trouble in my overpowered rwd (aside from stop lights, where it would go sideways at a dead stop if you forgot to put it in neutral :lol: ), but almost died a few times because of crazy impatient people in 4wds who thought they could go around me and lost control. Good times...

I was driving home (slowly) a few years ago during a whiteout in very deep snow when a guy in a Jeep zoomed by me. About 2 km later, I saw him on the side of the road, having clearly lost control. Then about 10 minutes later, he passed me again! It’s good that he was okay and able to get back on the road, but he obviously didn’t learn anything from the process. :|

Yeah, see that often. People think that 4WD will make them invincible on the roads. It helps, but it will do nothing for ice, not to mention stopping, and in all weather being stupid will kill you just as fast with 4WD... maybe faster.
  • DauntlessDiva
    DauntlessDiva Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    YTD Stats:
    4,972’ gain
    37 miles

Jan 13:
    2mi 0gain
    Walk & run at park

Looking forward to trail long run tomorrow.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    Nice medal @bride001. Sounds like a fun race!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @JessicaMcB @MNLittleFinn @7lenny7 and TrailHounds anywhere.
    I will never get a FKT but it looks and sounds like a Trail you would all love.
  • penko47
    penko47 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    exercise.png Came up a little short with 3.5 but I had to get to work :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Great race and medal, @bride001
    HonuNui wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    @HonuNui I keep meaning to ask... why were you gobsmacked?

@orphia I was organizing some music files and found a poem written to me by my son about 15 years ago. Had never seen it before. I had linked it in my first post of the month...but I'm too lazy to keep the link active...

@HonuNui So lovely. Thanks for that beautiful story.
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @bride001 great job on the race. Nice medal.
    @sarahthes great post by the police department.
  • JulieS3103
    JulieS3103 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    @sarahthes I love the police dept post! :D
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,725 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent @AlphaHowls That road looks like my daily commute the last week or so. Do people really have a hard time navigating winter roads?

I learned to drive in NJ, back when blizzards where not a rare thing, so the 5 inches we got here today in Pittsburgh was nothing to me. I mean, I knew to repsect it and alter my driving to match conditions, but was nothing to fear. Especially since I drive a Jeep. :sunglasses:

That image is from TN, near Nashville I think. On the I40. Some of those people have lived their whole lives and never seen snow.

But that is NO EXCUSE FOR THE DOLTS THAT LIVE HERE IN STORMING PITTSBURGH. Sheesh. Seriously. I watched people with local plates spin out, and slide, and tail gate and etc. Keep your sports car at home, and call a Uber or something. For real.

4WD or AWD is insuffecent to overcome stupidity.

If you look at the vehicles in the picture, most of them are semi-trucks so the drivers are probably not from the Nashville area. I think the ice took them by surprise and those big trucks are hard to stop on dry pavement.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @JessicaMcB @MNLittleFinn @7lenny7 and TrailHounds anywhere.
    I will never get a FKT but it looks and sounds like a Trail you would all love.

That looks awesome
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @zdyb23456 It's the same here if there's even a chance of snow or ice, buses won't run. Main road could be fine, but secondary roads could be too dangerous.

@skippygirlsmom My daughter has been driving for 6-7 years and has yet to drive in nasty weather. Thank goodness. She has a little Honda Civic. I'm sure it'd handle like newly born Bambi out there.

It gets treacherous here. I just dread freezing temps and any precipitation. When we lived in Delaware, I don't remember the roads being too bad as they has lots of snow. We we're lucky to get a blizzard one year. Still went out for a pizza run and found out that ice sets up in the tires and causes noisy wobbling.

Until we bought her RAV4, my wife drove a Civic, for her first 10 years of driving. They actually handle weather well. FWD cars actually handle just fine in pretty much all weather, as long as people aren't driving them like idiots... RWD is more of a problem.

I had a mustang in Wisconsin. That was fun! We weighed the trunk down, which helped a bit. It would still fishtail sometimes despite me being careful.

I once drove home on sheer ice. A normal 10-15 drive took me like an hour. I was barely rolling along and saw a few cars in ditches. Another time I hit a patch of black ice on a freeway overpass, spun out. Police told me there was nothing I could have done because you can't see it and overpasses are usually the worse because the wind goes under the bridge and freezes the rain/sleet where it isn't freezing anywhere else. That was another day with multiple accidents. My mom came across 3 before she got to mine. After those, I decided it was time to move.

Or get a new car! I grew up in WI and learned to drive there. I had a huge Chrysler Cordoba (in green) that had been my Dad's. I never had trouble in snow. I now drive a Mazda Miata and have for like the last 20 years (in NJ). It's a death trap in the snow. Not my driving, I just drive super slow and know how to drive in snow. But it's bad because all the folks in SUVs and light weight trucks get frustrated with me and pass me. At speed. And that is more dangerous than my slow plodding progress. I try now never to drive when it snows. Safer for me and the other drivers. Luckily that is usually just a handful of days in NJ.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @zdyb23456 It's the same here if there's even a chance of snow or ice, buses won't run. Main road could be fine, but secondary roads could be too dangerous.

@skippygirlsmom My daughter has been driving for 6-7 years and has yet to drive in nasty weather. Thank goodness. She has a little Honda Civic. I'm sure it'd handle like newly born Bambi out there.

It gets treacherous here. I just dread freezing temps and any precipitation. When we lived in Delaware, I don't remember the roads being too bad as they has lots of snow. We we're lucky to get a blizzard one year. Still went out for a pizza run and found out that ice sets up in the tires and causes noisy wobbling.

Until we bought her RAV4, my wife drove a Civic, for her first 10 years of driving. They actually handle weather well. FWD cars actually handle just fine in pretty much all weather, as long as people aren't driving them like idiots... RWD is more of a problem.

My Miata is rear wheel drive and super light. Both a major problems in snow.
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    @bride001 - Great race and great medal! I hated to miss out on that one. Maybe next year.
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    HRKinchen wrote: »
    Because, *woo!* am I glad I'm not running anywhere near that! :lol:

@HRKinchen If you remove the vehicles that's exactly what my Running trails looked like today. Everything we do is based on our version of what " Normal " is. For me it was decent run except for a few Trail/Road crossings with Driver polished corners ( to much accelerator ), the rest was all good.

The wrecks are what made me say "Woo am I glad...." As a Southerner, I have a love/hate relationship with cold. I love the beauty and novelty of it when it snows (and likewise like to visit places where it snows), but I hate freezing temps without the payoff of snow. Most of our winters, when they're even cold, are just cold and wet. And really, what's the point of that?! :lol:
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent @AlphaHowls That road looks like my daily commute the last week or so. Do people really have a hard time navigating winter roads?

@MNLittleFinn some people never drive on winter/snowy roads in their lifetime. Skip has been driving for over 2 years and has never had the need to drive on snow or ice because we haven't had any. Cars/trucks sold in this area don't automatically come with all wheel or four wheel drive, heck they don't come with a place to put a front license plate. We have little to no ability to remove snow, most places have no ability to salt or put sand down. I took Skip's SUV to work yesterday in case we did get snow because it has 4 wheel drive, but that's because I brought it in New Jersey. So to answer your question, yes people who don't drive in these conditions with any regularity have a hard time navigating such conditions. In my opinion they just need to stay home, but some don't have a choice.

Yep, I agree with @skippygirlsmom - most people in So California have never had to drive in snow and ice. Heck they rarely get to drive in rain or on wet roads... When we were first married and going to see my family in Idaho we needed to put chains on and my husband was clueless. I did it because I had lived where they were needed more frequently so you learned what to do in case you were out in the middle of no where and needed them.