January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent This was the first time I've had an issue. I'm used to being overlooked. Most people don't know what gluten is let alone celiac disease. I usually tell people I have an allergy. My husbands hate that I do that but it's just easier in an already stressful (for me) situation.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @Starflight00 Welcome! I can see you've gained insight from your early vigorous running like many of us. You'll fit in well here!

@katharmonic Love your race! Your fitness is awesome at the moment!

Okay I can't contain my excitement, Skip talked to the Coach where she's going to college this afternoon. He wanted to know if she wanted to be a Hawk and come run for him. She is so excited, after our unofficial visit they have exchanged emails on and off usually just chit chat. He said he will be in touch soon with more details. He cannot make her an official offer until April. I'm so proud of her and how she handled herself on the phone with him. My baby girl is growing up.

@skippygirlsmom Squeeeee! Yay for Skip!

@shanaber I don't use the Strava program I just sync my Garmin to it later. Once in a blue moon I'll see where I jumped over someone's house during my run. Doesn't happen often through.

This is how I do it also. I let the watch do its thing, and later Garmin Connect sends it out to Run Keeper, Strave, MFP and Apple Health. I have no problems that way, and with the watch doing all the work, my iPhone battery lasts a lot longer.

@PastorVincent @shanaber Ditto this. Strava actually improves on anything my 99% accurate Garmin GPS sends it.

Also ditto using fingerless gloves with attached foldover mittens and a handwarmer inside. Discovered that trick for myself in my winter mid-2016.

@girlinahat My heartrate is quite often lower on my faster runs. It's actually a thing. A friend who is a running coach says so, and his does the same, and it's the body, muscles, aerobic system all being more efficient at those speeds at in that form. It just feels easier, and your body moves better. He explained it a bit more scientifically that that, though. :smiley:
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    It’s not the run heartrate I question, it’s the Crossfit workout. Honestly, I felt like I was dying, with fast rowing, kettlebell swings and those blasted burpees, over and over… I am pretty sure it is something to do with how fitbit measures HR, and that it struggles to cope in that sort of situation. According to fitbit my resting heartrate is around 60 bpm, and a brisk walk takes me to 110-114, which is probably fairly accurate. Maybe next week I will put on my tomtom chest strap and log it as a workout to see what happens.

I’m also starting to think that Kettlebells might be the secret best workout ever. Admittedly I can barely bend my back and I ache at the spot where my traps connect, but aches like that are a good thing right?
  • Starflight00
    Starflight00 Posts: 112 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thank you all for the warm welcome! You are a chatty bunch, I can't keep up with names and races! :)

Anyone here running every day? Any pros/cons to consider?

exercise.png
    weight.png
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    It’s not the run heartrate I question, it’s the Crossfit workout. Honestly, I felt like I was dying, with fast rowing, kettlebell swings and those blasted burpees, over and over… I am pretty sure it is something to do with how fitbit measures HR, and that it struggles to cope in that sort of situation. According to fitbit my resting heartrate is around 60 bpm, and a brisk walk takes me to 110-114, which is probably fairly accurate. Maybe next week I will put on my tomtom chest strap and log it as a workout to see what happens.

I’m also starting to think that Kettlebells might be the secret best workout ever. Admittedly I can barely bend my back and I ache at the spot where my traps connect, but aches like that are a good thing right?
    @girlinahat all optical HR monitors have a problem if the muscles/tendons in your wrists are being flexed. I know that's why they give too low readings while rowing. I guess the same applies to kettle bell swings.
    If you manage to wear your fitbit halfway between wrist and elbow and still get readings, they should be more realistic.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

@girlinahat all optical HR monitors have a problem if the muscles/tendons in your wrists are being flexed. I know that's why they give too low readings while rowing. I guess the same applies to kettle bell swings.
    If you manage to wear your fitbit halfway between wrist and elbow and still get readings, they should be more realistic.

Thanks
    I do have fairly tendon-y joints so that could be why – it was certainly recording SOMETHING. I’m not sure I can get it to stay further up my wrist but might give it a go. Otherwise it’ll be dig the chest strap out and try that.