January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent @AlphaHowls That road looks like my daily commute the last week or so. Do people really have a hard time navigating winter roads?

@MNLittleFinn some people never drive on winter/snowy roads in their lifetime. Skip has been driving for over 2 years and has never had the need to drive on snow or ice because we haven't had any. Cars/trucks sold in this area don't automatically come with all wheel or four wheel drive, heck they don't come with a place to put a front license plate. We have little to no ability to remove snow, most places have no ability to salt or put sand down. I took Skip's SUV to work yesterday in case we did get snow because it has 4 wheel drive, but that's because I brought it in New Jersey. So to answer your question, yes people who don't drive in these conditions with any regularity have a hard time navigating such conditions. In my opinion they just need to stay home, but some don't have a choice.

It's not just in the south. We get plenty of snow in Rochester, NY, but a lot of people aren't very good at driving in it. The local governments are very good about plowing and putting down salt, so many drivers don't get any practice on slick surfaces.

This winter, we've had about 3 weeks of temperatures so low that the salt doesn't work and the snow packs down and hangs around till it warms up. The first week was really scary, the second was kind of scary, and now people are finally learning to deal with it; but I still see tailgaters on iffy roads. Scares me a little driving, but I know skills to do nothing sudden to surprise the idiot behind me. Scares me more when running, because the idiot tailgater can't see me until the lead car pulls over to give me room. A chain of a sensible lead driver and 3 tailgaters is awful; I'll run in a snow bank if I have to do that to avoid them.
  • Starflight00
    Starflight00 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    So I finally got out for a run today. Had originally planned for yesterday but my legs were aching from multiple reps of front squats in CrossFit so could barely walk. Plus I had a migraine which I think might be exercise (weights in particular) induced.

So I did a short run before my CrossFit class today. Only a couple of miles, would've done more but I didn't get up early enough. Then broke myself with rowing, effing Burpees and kettle bell swings. Now here's a thing - on my run, my heart rate on my fitbit showed between 150-165 BPM. During the WOD, when I could FEEL my heart pounding, and I was gulping down the water, doing with sweat, my heart rate showed as 110-115 BPM. Makes no sense to me whatsoever

It's a strange feeling, isn't it? What you could do is go old school and count it yourself for 6 seconds and then multiply by 10. Not super accurate, but good enough to cross check Fitbit.
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    So I finally got out for a run today. Had originally planned for yesterday but my legs were aching from multiple reps of front squats in CrossFit so could barely walk. Plus I had a migraine which I think might be exercise (weights in particular) induced.

So I did a short run before my CrossFit class today. Only a couple of miles, would've done more but I didn't get up early enough. Then broke myself with rowing, effing Burpees and kettle bell swings. Now here's a thing - on my run, my heart rate on my fitbit showed between 150-165 BPM. During the WOD, when I could FEEL my heart pounding, and I was gulping down the water, doing with sweat, my heart rate showed as 110-115 BPM. Makes no sense to me whatsoever

This. I just bought myself a real HR monitor because I was very skeptical of my Fitbit running readings (same kinds of numbers as yours). Today I ran 10 mi. According to my Fitbit Alta, my average HR for the activity was 172 bpm. According to my Garmin chest HR monitor it was 135 bpm. Quite a difference in how I view those workouts!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    A question for those of you who are Strava users - Do you have issues with it not starting and/or missing parts of your run?
    I do have auto pause turned on and it went into a paused state at the beginning and didn't start until about a quarter if a mile in. I turned auto pause off and it remained in the paused state so I completely restarted the run with auto pause off. It started then but then skipped over areas in the run - for example I run the cul-de-sacs around my neighborhood and the map jumps diagonally as if I flew across the houses and not around the streets. When it works I like it but mostly it is pretty frustrating...
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    A question for those of you who are Strava users - Do you have issues with it not starting and/or missing parts of your run?
    I do have auto pause turned on and it went into a paused state at the beginning and didn't start until about a quarter if a mile in. I turned auto pause off and it remained in the paused state so I completely restarted the run with auto pause off. It started then but then skipped over areas in the run - for example I run the cul-de-sacs around my neighborhood and the map jumps diagonally as if I flew across the houses and not around the streets. When it works I like it but mostly it is pretty frustrating...

I have a lot of problems with Strava, most recently it half recording runs, dropping full sections of trail, reflecting inaccurate info all around and claiming to be connected to my Garmin still after it was disconnected. I have an email in to them but I'm just going to stick to Connect which is mostly correct (I am skeptical of the HR). Deleted it again, it tanks my phone anyhow- more trouble than it's worth given I am not one to obsess over the metrics :/

Sorry that isn't more helpful @shanaber :(
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I don't use the Strava program I just sync my Garmin to it later. Once in a blue moon I'll see where I jumped over someone's house during my run. Doesn't happen often through.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I was a little sad I didn't get to stick around for Everclear. They played at 11:15 and I couldn't wait around for an hour on just a little banana. None of the food, free or for purchase, was gluten-free. It was a little disappointing but I had to get some food. I could feel a headache coming on. I ran almost the entire 6.2. I took two short walk breaks, one when I got Gatorade and the other when I couldn't push it anymore going uphill. I was running slower than my walk. LOL

Now I'm off to plan a gluten-free race series!

I feel ya... normally I can pretty much only get Gatorade and a banana in the after race food. Annoying, but I have learned to leave Enjoy Life Cocoa Loco bars, and other food in my gear so I can pull that out and have something in my stomach at least.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @katharmonic great race, love the pics!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @Starflight00 Weclom! Hold on to your hat, sometimes this thread really moves!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @shanaber I don't use the Strava program I just sync my Garmin to it later. Once in a blue moon I'll see where I jumped over someone's house during my run. Doesn't happen often through.

This is how I do it also. I let the watch do its thing, and later Garmin Connect sends it out to Run Keeper, Strave, MFP and Apple Health. I have no problems that way, and with the watch doing all the work, my iPhone battery lasts a lot longer.