Utah national parks. What to eat for (US only) picky eater?

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,419 Member
edited January 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Sorry to all Americans: I'm generally not too keen to visit your country. But anyway, I'll be visiting Salt Lake City for a conference later this year and decided to add 7-8 days of visiting a few national parks. My plan is: 2 nights each Zion, Bryce and Capitol Reef.

Now, the problem of food! The big reasons I don't like to visit the US is indeed the food*. I looked at restaurants near my lodges, and.. it's exactly what I thought it would be: massively big, fatty, and very meaty. The alternative seems to be something with mushrooms or molten cheese, both of which I don't eat. I generally prefer a small amount of meat/fish (<100gr raw), big pile of veggies and simple boiled rice or other starches without butter, sauce, cream, etc. Kids menues seem better suited for me, but I doubt I could pass as under 12 year old ;) Breakfasts seem equally troublesome as I prefer proper bread/flat bread/baguette with small amounts of cheese/meaty things and a piece of fruit, rice, dal, rice soup, or similar things. Again no big amounts of meat, no pastry, no celeral-type things.

Added to that: I'm on a budget. I could of course order a steak, but I find it difficult to justify to spend $25 plus tax for a huge slab of meat of which I only eat a small amount. Plus: It's usually starches and proper bread that keep me going throughout the day, not protein or fats (makes me tired, and I get hungry again very quickly as I don't digest fats well).

Argh!

Any suggestions?

*don't get me wrong: I travel a lot, and find something delicious and local to eat everywhere I go. The US though remains difficult for me.

Replies

• yirara
    Options
    hroderick wrote: »
    I'd suggest Arches and Moab instead of Capital Reef.

You can order kids meal or a to-go box for half your meal.

I strongly suggest getting a backpack and eating from the grocery stores. There's soft tortillas, single serving meats,, jerky and pemmican, fresh fruit and veggies, peanut butter and lots of hiker foods. Unless you're fortunate enough to find a roadside stand selling indian flat bread, the only fresh dough product within 100 miles of Zion would be a donut.

If you prepare and plan a hike every day, you will burn a lot of calories and see the best views. If you plan to hang out at the lodge making persnickety complaints, then don't come. We like it wild, rugged, and beautiful here.

Thanks a lot, this sounds very encouraging! I'm sure I won't have a problem in SLC, but the parks do worry me somewhat (mind, I'm usually super excited travelling somewhere and sampling local cuisine!). Actually, I had to laugh about your comment on the availability of fresh dough products :D I don't think I could live there.

Aye, I'll be hiking all day, and I don't plan the easy hikes. That's the reason why I need proper food that keeps me full. The most beautiful vacation I ever did was a cross country tour of Iran. Breakfast was usually fantastic, but for lunch and dinner I mainly got meat. I felt so tired and hungry the whole trip, and back home I found I'd lost quite some weight. Too much meat and fat is just not for me.

Oh, Capitol and the other parks are fixed though. I plan to see very specific things in each park that I cannot see elsewhere. Plus Arches and Moab are too far away for the time I have and time I wish to spend on driving. I'll be there during Memorial weekend anyway :( and it will be difficult to arrange other accommodation by now.
  • yirara
    Options
    U.S. national parks are not known for their food options, so you're going to have to lower your expectations.

For dinner, you can order kids menu items (expect to pay more), or you can ask for what you want, not off the menu. If you're polite they might be able to work with you. You can also ask for a dish without mushrooms or cheese.

For breakfast, what you want frankly just doesn't resemble most American breakfasts. Maybe eggs with toast and hash browns and fruit? Using the grocery store is a good idea too.

I'll keep kids menu items in mind if everything fails. Looks like I have the best chance of getting something nice in Zion, but the other parks look more difficult for me.

And yes, I know about American breakfasts *sigh* I forgot to mention eggs: another thing I don't eat :( So basically molten cheese, eggs and mushrooms. Otherwise I eat pretty much everything though many things just don't give me the energy I need. Groceries stores then I guess.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I would suggest driving into the towns that are near the parks (that's what my husband and I did) and eat at a local restaurant.
  • yirara
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    I would suggest driving into the towns that are near the parks (that's what my husband and I did) and eat at a local restaurant.

I think this is not so much a problem with Zion as Springdale is just outside the park. But if you hike from 8-19:00 or so then driving a longer distance.. well.. considering my hotel in Bryce is right inside the park I might indeed drive into Tropic at least as the choice of restaurants inside the park looks very poor. Some more options in Capitol as well I think. Lets just see how it goes. But yes, it's good to get some intelligence beforehand :)
  • yirara
    Options
    if youre going to be that picky (and this is coming from someone with major OCD food issues), buy a cooler and go to the grocery store. less stress and more control over your food.

Well.. picky is maybe exaggerating. I eat pretty much everything from mink whale to reindeer heart, odd veggies, super-spicy food, etc.. I find something to eat pretty much everywhere. It's just the food in the US (and Canada) that worries me. And with real pickiness: yes, no eggs (cooked, scrambled or whatever), mushrooms and molten cheese. Otherwise I eat everything.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    One of the great things about American restaurants is that in general, they are very willing to cater to customers' needs and requests. I recommend a combo of eating out and getting your own food at the grocery store. But there's no need to eat massive amounts of meat or just cheese and mushrooms. :)

Have you checked TripAdvisor reviews? I did a quick search near Zion. This one looks to have a very nice menu: http://www.klbzion.com/. Some items have cheese but I don't think it's smothered in the way you're thinking, and you can always tell them no cheese. This cafe seems to have some good options for breakfast, including oatmeal and an avocado toast that sounds yummy: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g61001-d3805868-Reviews-Deep_Creek_Coffee_Co-Springdale_Utah.html This one looks like it has nice wraps and salads: http://cafesoleilzionpark.com/

Almost everywhere will have chicken options if you don't want beef or pork, and you can usually ask for child-size portions and they won't fuss too much. I don't think I'd go for fish in the desert but that's just me.

Do a little research and I think you'll be fine. Enjoy your trip!
  • yirara
    Options
    One of the great things about American restaurants is that in general, they are very willing to cater to customers' needs and requests. I recommend a combo of eating out and getting your own food at the grocery store. But there's no need to eat massive amounts of meat or just cheese and mushrooms. :)

Have you checked TripAdvisor reviews? I did a quick search near Zion. This one looks to have a very nice menu: http://www.klbzion.com/. Some items have cheese but I don't think it's smothered in the way you're thinking, and you can always tell them no cheese. This cafe seems to have some good options for breakfast, including oatmeal and an avocado toast that sounds yummy: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g61001-d3805868-Reviews-Deep_Creek_Coffee_Co-Springdale_Utah.html This one looks like it has nice wraps and salads: http://cafesoleilzionpark.com/

Almost everywhere will have chicken options if you don't want beef or pork, and you can usually ask for child-size portions and they won't fuss too much. I don't think I'd go for fish in the desert but that's just me.

Do a little research and I think you'll be fine. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks a lot. My B&B in Zion has breakfast vouchers for the cafesoleil that you link to, thus that's good. Looking through the list of what they serve for breakfast I could imagine the Tofu scramble or maybe a bagel (never had one before!) with salmon, or a hummus wrap. There are a lot of options in Zion anyway. Things look bleaker in Bryce though, but it's quite possible that there are many more places to eat that don't have websites and don't show up in google *shrugs* Capitol could be either. So lets see.

I'm at least glad that it's possible to ask for smaller portions or something off the menu. I usually never do that, thus it never crossed my mind to ask :)
  • yirara
    Options
    You're assuming all Americans eat the same. We don't. We're not all obese, sedentary & ill from fatty, sugary foods. I've eaten at a fast food restaurant about a dozen times in my life & only when traveling & there aren't other options on long stretches of road. Then, I'm happy with whatever burger joint is available. When in Rome... As a picky eater myself, with 2 foreign parents, I understand your plight as we never ate the stereotypical American diet at home.

I spent almost 2-yrs on the road driving all across the states. What I did was stop at any local market (or WalMart or Target if that's all the town offered) to buy foods I don't normally eat, but would last without refrigeration, such as varying kinds of nuts, seeds, dried fruit (don't forget you need extra water when eating dried products) & for treats, things like yogurt covered raisins. There are plenty of bar type foods (Kind bars, for example) that aren't hideous... they're not my favorite, but it is carb based & is better than nothing when hiking/camping. Apples & oranges, my least favorite fruits, were always in my car as they last the longest. When hungry, I was glad I had them. Of course bananas, nectarines & berries don't last long in hot sun or freezing cold, unless you've got a small thermos to carry... probably not wise on a hiking trip.

For small bits of protein, jerky comes in a variety of flavors & meats... I've seen elk & buffalo jerky at a camping store in middle America somewhere. So, when you land, wander over into the camping/sporting isles of a store like WalMart, where you'll find freeze dried stews & other varying meals that backpackers & outdoors people carry. Many foods now also come in cans or small plastic containers with pull top/tabs, so they can be carried & opened without a can opener... tuna & fruit even come in foil pouches. Individual oatmeal packets & picking up an organic cereal with a box of plastic baggies might work for you, since you seem to prefer carbs & can portion out suitable sizes to carry in your backpack.

As far as flat breads & baguettes, which I also eat, find a local bakery or grocer in SLC where you can find them. You'd be surprised that most supermarkets have a bakery section with artisan breads. America is far different & has more to offer than you seem to think. If you're just judging by local restaurants in 1 state, then your impression might differ... I rarely eat out, I prefer to cook and/or carry my own.

At a sit-down restaurant, you can ask for an off the menu meal & many do it. I've asked for a plate of stir fried veggies in lemon-butter sauce... or, a plate that's got a baked potato, mashed potatoes & 1-2 servings of veggies. I've had a number of vegetarian friends who never have issues in restaurants, as they often order off the menu. Lastly, you have to think outside the box. If all that's available is a McDonald's, ask them to sell you a couple of buns with a side salad. KFC can give you veggies, beans & biscuits. Granted, it's white bread, but if you don't want any protein, it's better than nothing.

Enjoy your trip & don't focus on the food. You're not here for the food, you're here for the national parks. Have fun!

Thanks a lot :)
    No, I certainly don't assume all Americans are the same, but the kind of food menus I found online for restaurants in at least two of the three parks looks very same-y and contains very few things I'd enjoy.

I guess I just have to look through supermarkets and see what I find that fits my volume starch/veggy eating lifestyle most, with a bit of protein and fat thrown in. Tins of tuna are a good idea! When out hiking in southern Europe I usually have either a small salami or a tin of tuna in brine with me (plus lovely fresh local bread of course) to fill up lost salt and have something to eat that digests a bit slower.

I guess the plan currently looks like this:
    Leave the conference at around noon and get to the airport in SLC to pick up my car, drive down south as far as possible including a substantial dirtroad detour for a hobby. I'm still hoping to get to Cedar City and spend the first night there. Maybe I can get a proper supermarket there before I hit the sticks. And then next day upper section of Zion-Kolob and/or Snow Canyon, then sleep in Springdale for two nights and see if I spend two further days there, or drive on to Bryce.
  • yirara
    Options
    Just a note: I actually so look forward to this trip and I'm lucky that I get to go to start with <3 Just wish I had an extra week as it was really a coin toss between going down south or up towards Yellowstone.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You sound like you don't particularly like the USA. With that....you can eat what you want regardless of what 'country' you are in. Simply order what you like off the menu and make sure you choose a restaurant that serves more of what you like. If they serve more than you want in one sitting them take a box of food back with you to the hotel and finish it later. There are plenty of grocery stores in the USA as well so you can buy what you want there. ;)
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    The food near NPs out west is really hit or miss, especially if you have dietary restrictions for whatever reason. I'd recommend getting a small inexpensive cooler in SLC and shopping there before heading to smaller towns. We often have food along so that we can eat out if there is something good, or from our stash if options are limited. Things like hummus & pita, bagels & nut butters, canned tuna, salmon, chicken, sardines are all easy. Small salamis are available at upscale groceries. If you have access to a heat source, pre-cooked shelf stable rice, tasty bites (Indian food), canned chili, are all available. Particularly high quality grocery stores are Whole Foods or natural/health stores--they are more expensive but less so than eating out. I found that Cost Plus World Market has a lot of shelf stable international food that ends up working well. Also, in most hotels (not so much b & bs), you can replace your cooler ice for free.
  • yirara
    Options
    Thanks mate. No heat source. I have a tiny electric travel cooker, but only for European current, thus I would not be able to warm up anything with that ;) But that gives me an idea: is backpacking food readily available in small stores? Those dried meals (rice or noodle dishes mostly) where you pour hot water over? That might be something for day time at least. Here they cost about £5-6 per meal (tax included), thus I might as well bring a small thermos and a few of those along.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Biscuits and sausage gravy. Pancakes and peanut butter. Oatmeal and rasins. Carb up early then walk it off.
  • TaffyBranwyn
    TaffyBranwyn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Tuna also comes in plastic pkgs now, so you don't need to carry pull-tab cans, if that makes a difference to the weight of your pack. It's sold in any supermarket or WalMart type store. It's easier to eat sans utensils because it's dry.

The camping stew type meals are not available in all stores. I've found them in WalMart in the camping/outdoors isles. They're $7-9/ea.

Heating coils that require a current are mostly found in truck stop gas stations/travel centers (TA's, Love's) from what I've seen in my travels. I carry one (with an adapter to use in the car) in the event I want to heat water for French press coffee on long trips. Maybe an outdoor store, like REI would carry them, but I'm assuming you won't have a car for your trip. Although, I'm unsure where you'd use that in a nat'l pk, if you're wanting to heat hot water for the stew packs? If you buy a small $10 thermos at a supermarket, you could pre-fill it with hot water by running water through the hotel's coffee pot... I've done that & appreciate the effort when on the road.

Seems like you have a good plan. Enjoy your trip.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Can you stop at a grocery store and pack yourself food to eat while at the park?

I second going to Moab/Arches. Stunning location.
  • yirara
    Options
    Thanks a lot @TaffyBranwyn :)

I'm really looking forward to it to be really honest, simply because the US is not the vacation country I'd chose due to the long flight and long travels (and I love Roman and Greek antiquity). And I cannot simply get in on the visa waiver programme (downside of loving to travel: You're bound to end up in countries that the US doesn't like) and the paperwork, time and cost to get a visa is unreal! But anyway, boss is paying. So lets go!