WEEK 2 ~ Team Amazing Grace (CLOSED GROUP) August Challenge

Options
AUGUST CHALLENGE WEEK 2: Unleashing the Beast Within!

These are the Week Two Challenges. These should be done in addition to your normal workout routine. This is a challenge and is not a replacement! If you need a beginner workout please contact your team captain for ideas.

Week Two Daily Exercise Challenge Daily Exercise = 1 point per member per day. If EVERYONE does it, you will be awarded a 5 point bonus for the team! WELCOME BACK FROM YOUR DAY OF REST WE’RE STARTING WEEK #2 YOU ARE NO LONGER ROCKSTARS YOU’VE MOVED ON TO BEAST MODE!

Day 1 Exercise Challenge - 50 Squat Kicks*
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSu-wci9uTo )

Day 2 Exercise Challenge – 50 Swimmer’s Presses + 1 Extra Mile jog, walk,run (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYwzaUXK6gs) * You may use cans of soup or bottles of water if u don’t have weights

Day 3 Exercise Challenge – 50 Situps or Ab Crunches* + 50 Mountain Climbers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI8u58hPam4 )

Day 4 Exercise Challenge – 3 sets of 21’s + 100 Jumping Jacks (Bicep Curls may be done with cans of soup or bottles of water if you don’t have any weights) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xLcsg-5Dw8 ) 21’s The video is a little long sorry.

Day 5 Exercise Challenge – 50 Globe jumps + 100 Jumping Jacks + 100 Stair Climbs (jog or run) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKKKNR5USXc )

Day 6 Exercise Challenge – 40 Shoulder Presses + 1 extra mile + 50 crunches (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpWrzp9Mnyg) Shoulder Press

Day 7 Rest! You deserve it!

*Feel free to do these exercises in sets if you are unable to do them all at one time. Please do your best as you are much stronger than you believe. Please note each week the exercises will increase in difficulty. This will push each team member. Modifications will be provided for those who unable to complete the exercise as intended.

(NOTE: you can also switch days and do a different day's challenge. Just be sure to post and let me know WHAT exercise challenge you did each day). There is ONLY ONE REST DAY per week....

Week Two Weekly TEAM CHALLENGE.

Each team must coordinate a 100 mile walk, run, jog over and above their normal walking / running / jogging.

I need each of you to volunteer how much you can/will walk this week. If the team does accomplish the 100 mile challenge they will be rewarded with 5 bonus point. Everyone post to the thread, what they will "commit" to for this team challenge.

In addition to the 100 mile walk each team member must submit their favorite recipe to the group forum (here), along with the nutritional value. If someone submits your favorite you must find another recipe to submit.

Replies

• getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later.... I need to figure out my favorite recipe :wink:
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Yay for week 2!!! Bumping for easy access tomorrow. :)

Also, I posted this in the week 1 thread, but it probably really belongs here:

I am going to pledge 10 miles towards the 100 mile team challenge. I have been running 2-3 miles 2 days a week, on average. And I walk during breaks at work for 2 miles 5 days a week, but I sometimes miss a walk or two. So in a typical week I cover around 14 miles. I'm going to run more days this week, at least 4 days, for at least 3 miles each day. And I'm not going to miss any walks at work. That will give me 12 miles + my 10 miles of walking will put me at 24.
  • amazing_grace♥
    Options
    Also, for this week... I would like for all of us to take a few minutes and just tell everybody a little bit about ourself.... (just a little - it'll be painless - I promise!) I'll start......

I just turned 50 three months ago, I'm a mom of 2 grown boys and 4 wonderful grandchildren (2 of which are teen-age girls!! yikes!) and they ALL live about 35 miles away from me. I work for a large bank during the day, and am also a LMT (licensed massage theraist) and have a small business on the side. I'm single (but looking! hehe), and right now my days are almost nothing but work and exercise.... (hopefully that will change when I meet the man of my dreams!! hahaha). But in the meantime, I'm gonna lose this extra weight and learn to love ME again!! My first 100 days on this site I lost 32 pounds.... since then I seem to have hit a plateau so I'm very excited about this August challenge, and being able to bump it up another notch!!
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    bump for now!!
  • TNGirlyGirl
    TNGirlyGirl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    On average I walk 5 times a week for a mile and run 2/week for a mile each, totally 7 miles a week (plus any extra I could squeeze in!!) With school starting Monday it will be really hard to even do my regular exercise, much less add anything (it's always hectic with meetings and parent conferences the first month back!) so I can't commit to too much. I'll go for 5 extra miles this week -- just a warning, tho... it might be a 5-mile walk on Saturday!!!

About me... today is my 44th birthday :sad: My wonderful husband I have been married just over 2 years; I'm a mom to four teenagers (only 1 girl!!) and step-mom to 2 great boys. Beginning this month, we have 1 in seminary, 2 in college, 2 in high school and 1 in middle school. I am a 6th grade Language Arts teacher in a VERY diverse middle school which really keeps me busy. I've been on MFP since late April and have lost 24 lbs; my goal is to lose about 60 total on the way to a healthier, happier ME :flowerforyou:
  • taranmisty
    taranmisty Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    OK. I usually run for an hour 5-6 times per week. I commit to run for 69 minutes 6 times this week giving 6 extra miles.

I am a 38 y.o. mother of three. Gained more weight than I would have liked over the past 20 years and want to slim down for good. I have been on MFP since May 2011 and absolutely LOVE this site. Convinced my mom to join and a few friends from work. I am making progress and excited to continue this journey! Will have to think on the favorite recipe....does it have to be healthy?:)
  • maureendonahue
    Options
    On average I walk 5 times a week for a mile and run 2/week for a mile each, totally 7 miles a week (plus any extra I could squeeze in!!) With school starting Monday it will be really hard to even do my regular exercise, much less add anything (it's always hectic with meetings and parent conferences the first month back!) so I can't commit to too much. I'll go for 5 extra miles this week -- just a warning, tho... it might be a 5-mile walk on Saturday!!!

About me... today is my 44th birthday :sad: My wonderful husband I have been married just over 2 years; I'm a mom to four teenagers (only 1 girl!!) and step-mom to 2 great boys. Beginning this month, we have 1 in seminary, 2 in college, 2 in high school and 1 in middle school. I am a 6th grade Language Arts teacher in a VERY diverse middle school which really keeps me busy. I've been on MFP since late April and have lost 24 lbs; my goal is to lose about 60 total on the way to a healthier, happier ME :flowerforyou:

Happy Birthday!!!:flowerforyou:
  • maureendonahue
    Options
    My goal each week is to walk a mile 5 times per week. Time is a major issue with work, kids and some family drama. But I will commit to doing an extra 5 miles this week, somehow. It may mean 1.5 miles a day and I might need to go 6 days, but I will somehow do it!
  • song2sing
    song2sing Posts: 183
    Options

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Hope your day was fantastical!!!
  • walkingingrace2011
    Options
    OK I am at 230.8, down .6 from start of challenge. I'm married to a wonderful man and I have a 17 yr old son and two little dogs.
  • amazing_grace♥
    Options
    TNGirlyGirl - I LOVE the new pic!!!!

I hope you had a wonderful birthday!!!!
  • amazing_grace♥
    Options
    Ok, Team.... REST DAY is overwith!!! Are we ready to ROCK AND ROLL?????

We gotta step up and BRING IT this week...... RAWRRRRRRRR!!

I need the following people to give me their weights (Sunday - is our official weigh in day)

caza
    edithrenee
    healthymern
    kat
    taranmisty
    xtine
    yay_me

SO, MY PERSONAL CHALLENGE TO ALL OF YOU THIS WEEK, IS TO DO ALL OF THIS WEEK'S EXERCISE CHALLENGES ACCUMULATIVELY.... in other words, on Tuesday, we do Monday's (again) PLUS Tuesday's. On Wednesday, we do Monday & Tuesay in addition to Wednesday's challenge, etc.

This is not a requirement (for points), but I'm just challenging each of you to step it up if you want to break through your weight loss plateau's and kick some serious August behind!!!

We CAN do this!!!!!

Who's in?
  • maureendonahue
    Options
    A little about me: I will be 50 right after Christmas and have been married for 30 years. We have 5 children; 4 boys ages 30, 27, 25 and 22 and a daughter who is 19. (As the youngest, and only girl, she is a princess!) I also have a granddaughter that turned 3 in July. She loves to go shopping with Nana! Unfortunately, they live 1500 miles away, so I only take her a few times a year. Thank goodness for Skype!!

My favorite recipie is what we call "Cheese Chicken".

8 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1/4 c bread crumbs
    1/4 c grated parmesean cheese
    1 tsp. minced garlic (granulated)
    1/4 c (1/2 stick) margerine
    1/4 c shredded cheddar cheese (low fat)

Preheat oven to 350. Spray pan with cooking spray. Mix bread crumbs and parmesean cheese. Coat chicken breast in bread crumb mixture. Place in pan. Sprinkle tops of chicken breasts with shredded cheddar cheese. Melt margerine and mix with garlic. Spoon evenly over top of chicken. Bake at 350 for 45 min.

Nutrition information: 266 calories, 8 g carbs, 9g fat, 30 g protien, 0 g fiber and 479 mg sodium.
  • musky4
    musky4 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yay for week 2!!! Bumping for easy access tomorrow. :)

Also, I posted this in the week 1 thread, but it probably really belongs here:

I am going to pledge 10 miles towards the 100 mile team challenge. I have been running 2-3 miles 2 days a week, on average. And I walk during breaks at work for 2 miles 5 days a week, but I sometimes miss a walk or two. So in a typical week I cover around 14 miles. I'm going to run more days this week, at least 4 days, for at least 3 miles each day. And I'm not going to miss any walks at work. That will give me 12 miles + my 10 miles of walking will put me at 24.

MY GOODNESS - I AM EXHAUSTED JUST READING THIS !!! YOU GO GIRL (I WILL WATCH - LOL)
  • Xtine72
    Xtine72 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Committed to 10 Miles Jogging.
    Lost 1 pound.

:mad: Beast Mode ON
  • musky4
    musky4 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    GOOD MORNING - my weekend is gone already - i hardly exercised at all!!! -
    i worked till noon at my PT job - then picked 150# carrots and 75 ears of corn -
    all are done & processed started at noon on saturday and finished last night at 8:30 -
    i am exhausted - NOT a good way to start THIS week!!
    if you're a praying person - i could use it!
    thanks
    (yesterday: water - ck under target calories - ck (barely) - hardly any exercise but real busy)
  • walkingingrace2011
    Options
    I will commit to 10 extra miles this week (I'm assuming that is Monday - Sunday). My favorite recipe is just a quick snack of a Healthy Life English muffin (toasted) - 80 calories and 1 Tbsp of Kroger Hazelnut Spread with Cocoa - 80 calories . . . . makes for a quick eat when I'm on the run, which I usually am! I work 60 hours + a week and I spend approx. 8 - 8 1/2 hours exercising . . . also have a husband, son, 2 dogs . . . very busy!!!

Can't remember if I posted that I was under my calorie count and over the 8 glasses of water for yesterday.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    WOOT week 2! I don't know if I'll do accumulative every day, but I'll do some ...

My loss last week has really gotten my fire stoked. I'm ready to punt August's butt like the big game depended on it.

I have a couple GREAT homemede hummus recipes I'd love to share ... will post later.
  • caza6464
    caza6464 Posts: 29
    Options
    I can commit to 5 miles this week, sorry it is not more as i am back at work after 2 weeks off so will need to be doing a lot of hours in the store.

I will be having my days rest from excercise today (Monday) as i have had to do work in the evening as well so i will be doing Mondays excercises on Sunday as i am off that day, Monday is a day of meetings so i find it more difficult.

A little about me, I am 46 years old and i am married with 2 children aged 22 and 24, i also have 2 grandchildren aged 15 months and one 13 months, i live in England and work for a Swedish Home Furnishings company IKEA, i have been there 21 years this year. I don't really have any hobbies, i tend to spend too much time at work, so doing this challenge has got me to leave earlier so i can complete the challange. I started this diet 4 weeks ago and have lost 10lb, my aim is to lose 10lb over the next 4 weeks and then will re evaluate it.

Recipe
    Spicy Bean Casserole

1 medium sliced onion 1 large sliced carrot
    2 sticks of chopped celery 110g sweetcorn
    400g red kidney beans drained and rinsed 400g butter beans drained and rinsed
    400g chopped tomatoes 1 tbl spoon tomato puree
    1 tsp brown sugar 1 clove garlic, crushed
    275 ml veg stock cube 1 tsp chilli powder
    1 tsp ground cumin seed salt and pepper taste

Pour the tomatoes into a casserole dish and mix in half the veg stock, tomato puree and sugar. Add all the remaining ingrediants (except the rest of the stock) stirring gently. Cover and simmer for approx 30 minutes adding extra stock. When the celery is tender the casserole will be ready

Enjoy
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I actually LOVED doing those squat kicks! I think I have a new favorite! I love working out my legs though - these felt great :bigsmile: