What do you eat before an early morning workout?

Options

Replies

• fatvegan88
    fatvegan88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just take my preworkout and go hard. I have a hard time working out when I can taste food especially a banana or apple. Makes my stomach hurt.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I don't, But

PB, Banana
    PB, Bread

Basically, if you need something you'll want carbs/fat with some protein. Something that's relatively calorie dense, but not going to stress you stomach. Yoghurt bothers some people. As does citrus.

IF PB doesn't work for you , almond butter or Guac are just about as good.
  • Spaffdavidson
    Spaffdavidson Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I will try a few out and find one that works for me.

I used to be able to do a workout without eating anything beforehand but now half way through I'm struggling to keep the momentum of the workout going.

Thanks again everyone...all the suggestions are greatly appreciated!!! :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I personally don't feel the need to eat before an AM workout unless it is going to be particularly long. If I'm going to be doing a longer workout and I feel a bit hungry, I will have some dried fruit or a piece of toast with nut butter. These work well for me personally, they don't upset my stomach or make me feel weighted down.
  • 1beetleboy
    1beetleboy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I always run on an empty stomach but the suggestions of a banana r spoon of peanut butter are good suggestions.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    A pop tart and either a cup of black coffee or an energy drink mix.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I'm doing. I can do about 30-45 minutes of exercise in a fasted state; anything more than that and I need something to eat. Usually, I'll have a piece of fruit.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don’t work out in the morning but when I did I usually didn’t eat anything, just drank my coffee which had a little sugar and half/half. I might occasionally have a banana or maybe a piece of bread w peanut butter or something.
  • lucyluvhandles
    lucyluvhandles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Belvita breakfast bar and a cup of coffee is what I usually have before a workout. Not too heavy and gives me the energy I need to get through my workouts.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I like 1-2 tbsp of peanut butter on a slice of bread.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I eat a navel orange in the car while driving to the park where I run. About 20g of fairly quick carbs no more than 30 min before working out keeps my glucose levels good. (Type 2 diabetic.)

You don't need to eat fat such as nut butter before working out, your body can't digest it quickly enough to use it.
  • bcradio1
    bcradio1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Protein shake and a cheese stick for me
  • Live_life_well
    Live_life_well Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I workout at 520am and don't eat anything. However, I drink a LOT of water at the gym. Likely go through 1-1.5 litres of water. Tricks my stomach into feeling full which deceives my mind into feeling energized.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Coffee.

Do you really "need" the energy? Unless you are running a huge deficit you should have enough from the day before.

This. Coffee and some water for me. I figure that I have scads of stored energy. I do just fine for 30-45 min of intense exercise, but it’s not like I’m an elite athlete in training or anything.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I just have a zipfizz on the way to the gym
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I just drink water. I do LISS cardio or moderate aerobics in the morning for about 30 minutes and get through my workouts great. Anything longer and my strength-training workouts are done in the evening.

Some of my friends eat a banana with peanut butter and that helps them.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    A shake made with coffee instead of water.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I eat a boiled egg. I cook up about 6 on the weekend and put them in the fridge. They are ready to schnarff down on my way out the door. I tried no food and nearly collapsed once. Never again!