Keto Diet

Options
Hi everyone I’m Darby. I am on day 6 of my Keto diet. I’ve been able to turn down candy, cake, and pizza so far. No sugar is hard for me, hoping the craving will go away eventually.

What I want to know is what do you guys eat on a regular basis for your keto plan? I don’t want to get bored of my food.

Remember high fats!

Replies

• dboyer30
    dboyer30 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Darbi also! I've been on Keto/HFLC since 1/1/18. I eat a lot of eggs, cheese, cottage cheese, almonds, pepperoni. Most of my dinner meals consist of chicken, beef or pork (pork chops or pork loin) with a veggie such as broccoli, brussel sprouts, salad, cauliflower, green beans, etc. I also cook up a lb of bacon at a time and have it in the fridge when I need it. A few seconds in the microwave and it's ready to eat. Pinterest has a lot of ideas for meals. I also make a bulletproof coffee in the morning (coffee, irish butter, coconut oil with a bit of truvia and cinnamon all blended together). So good! Good luck!
  • Randi10Burnett
    Randi10Burnett Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey buddy. I eat alot of cheese(mozzarella), bacon thick cut, steak, eggs, turkey, ground beef. And umm my coffee. Olive oil mayo. I also put peanut butter on my veggies mainly cauliflower amd broccoli!
  • Randi10Burnett
    Randi10Burnett Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ill see if yu are able to see my meals
  • kristinemarie1013
    Options
    Hi! I have been doing strict Keto for ten days now. I weigh the exact same as when i started. I do feel less bloated and had a huge energy rush the first week, now i feel like its gone. Ive been hitting all my goals with my food macros. Im starting to feel a little un motivated. Is this normal not to lose anything in the beggining?
  • ronaldhong
    ronaldhong Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Darby! My wife and I have been eating a lot of eggs (fried in the AM; hard-boiled throughout the day; made cheesy muffins), bacon (we batch prep like Darbi to keep readily available), broccoli/mushroom/zucchini stir-fry in Alfredo sauce, pork chops or steak (whatever’s on sale at the grocery store), avocado, pistachios, almonds, coconut clusters, blue cheese, pepperoni sticks, homemade curries, and a ton of coffee and water. We cook everything in ghee; drizzle everything in either butter, EVOO, avocado mayo, Alfredo sauce, and/or roasted flax seed.

There’s a great site (www.ruled.me) where you can download an amazing 30-day meal plan. We’ve just be hackin meals together for the last little bit, but we are getting ready to dive into the RULED meal plan and have our goal set for the month of February - excited!

All the best!
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have been doing strict Keto for ten days now. I weigh the exact same as when i started. I do feel less bloated and had a huge energy rush the first week, now i feel like its gone. Ive been hitting all my goals with my food macros. Im starting to feel a little un motivated. Is this normal not to lose anything in the beggining?

Hi Kristine Marie. It affects people in different ways, just as any diet. Some people lose a lot initially, then slow down and lose more sensibly. I did. Some don't lose any, but do lose inches. Did you measure yourself before? All the main areas: Neck, waist, hips, butt. I also measure ribs, arms and legs. Before and after pictures can show differences too, even if the scale doesn't move.

Maybe someone with more scientific expertise can explain why one loses inches and looks visibly slimmer, yet the scale doesn't move. It's probably not a big mystery, but to me it is! LOL!

Make sure you are getting your sodium in. Use No Salt or LiteSalt to get potassium and magnesium in. Keep at it. I've got a friend who hasn't really lost anything scale wise either, but she is down 3 pant sizes. Good luck!
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I’m Darby. I am on day 6 of my Keto diet. I’ve been able to turn down candy, cake, and pizza so far. No sugar is hard for me, hoping the craving will go away eventually.

What I want to know is what do you guys eat on a regular basis for your keto plan? I don’t want to get bored of my food.

Remember high fats!

My meals are boring. But not to me, because I like what I eat! Whenever I try a new recipe, I end up eating more. So although it might be boring, it's easier to log and keep up with eating the same things over and over. One thing I learned early on, was to keep it simple. Stay away from sweeteners as much as possible. Its the easiest way to get thoaw sugar cravings out of your system.

Mornings are usually eggs of some form, bacon (of course) and maybe berries or an avocado. Lunch is usually leftovers from dinner the night before, or McDonald's artisan grilled chicken sandwich without the bun and a side salad. I've also had their quarter pounders without the bun too.

Dinners might be steak, broccoli, green beans, pizza toppings, tuna/egg salad, hotdogs, cauliflower, hamburger, or breakfast all over again. I usually include cheese in some shape or form too. Like I mentioned earlier, my meals are boring. But I've gone from 227 to 190 since October 1, 2017!

Know how to correctly calculate your macros. Try this calculator. I find it's one of the best out there: https://www.freedieting.com/calorie-calculator

Then figure out what your "ideal body weight" is: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f3/54/bd/f354bd4586c637072e3fa06a50190b0d.jpg
    I don't suggest that you NEED to get down to it, but it's just to help with calculations. Take the lowest weight in your category and divide that by 2.2 to get that weight in kilograms. Like say you're a man, medium frame, 6' tall. Your activity level is low or nonexistent. Your "ideal" weight would be 157 pounds. That's way too low in my opinion, but let's just go with it. So you divide 157 by 2.2 and you get 71.4 kg. If you're more athletic, you'd take the higher weight of 170.

Ok, so you have 71.4 kg. Multiply that with 0.8 to 1.5 depending again on your activity level. Since "you're" not active, we use 0.8. We get 57.1. Let's just go with 57 grams of protein/day. If you're more active, that number would be higher.

So, on Keto, you ideally want to consume 20 or less grams of carbs. In the first calculator, you would have found out what your daily caloric intake is. If we are going with a sedentary male, age let's say 30, height of 6', weight around 250 lbs. So your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is 2561 calories/day. To lose weight, your calories would be around 2040/day. So lets pick a number in between, say 2250 is a nice round number. Subtract 20 carbs and 57 protein from that number. You have 2173 calories left over for fat. There are 9 calories per gram of fat, so divide 2173 by 9: 241 grams of fat.

57 grams of protein is H E LL to achieve! I go over my limit of 50 all the time! So don't sweat it. These numbers are just suggestions. It's also good to stagger your calories/day. Eat up to your TDEE one day, go lower than 2250 another. My TDEE is 1796. I ate 1897 calories yesterday, 30 carbs and 77 protein! I lost a pound. I usually try to keep my caloric intake to around 1550. I tend to go over a lot. But not over my TDEE. Until yesterday, due to poor planning on my part! A calorie deficit is necessary for the most part though.

Anyways, this all is one way to do it. You'll discover that there are MANY suggestions on how to be successful on Keto. You find the way that works best for you and can be sustained for a length of time. My main tips are to keep it simple, drink water, keep up with your electrolytes, not only weigh, but measure too, take before photos, and eat the foods you enjoy. I don't like brussels sprouts or asparagus. I hate seafood/fish except tuna. If I had to consume any of those foods for the sake of Keto, I'd never make it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jazzb9363 wrote: »
    Know how to correctly calculate your macros. Try this calculator. I find it's one of the best out there: https://www.freedieting.com/calorie-calculator

Then figure out what your "ideal body weight" is: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f3/54/bd/f354bd4586c637072e3fa06a50190b0d.jpg
    I don't suggest that you NEED to get down to it, but it's just to help with calculations. Take the lowest weight in your category and divide that by 2.2 to get that weight in kilograms. Like say you're a man, medium frame, 6' tall. Your activity level is low or nonexistent. Your "ideal" weight would be 157 pounds. That's way too low in my opinion, but let's just go with it. So you divide 157 by 2.2 and you get 71.4 kg. If you're more athletic, you'd take the higher weight of 170.

Ok, so you have 71.4 kg. Multiply that with 0.8 to 1.5 depending again on your activity level. Since "you're" not active, we use 0.8. We get 57.1. Let's just go with 57 grams of protein/day. If you're more active, that number would be higher.

So, on Keto, you ideally want to consume 20 or less grams of carbs. In the first calculator, you would have found out what your daily caloric intake is. If we are going with a sedentary male, age let's say 30, height of 6', weight around 250 lbs. So your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is 2561 calories/day. To lose weight, your calories would be around 2040/day. So lets pick a number in between, say 2250 is a nice round number. Subtract 20 carbs and 57 protein from that number. You have 2173 calories left over for fat. There are 9 calories per gram of fat, so divide 2173 by 9: 241 grams of fat.

There's no reason to have such low protein -- in fact, I think it's a very bad idea if on a deficit and there's no reason for it on keto when it's easy to get protein. I HIGHLY recommend following the links nvmomketo gave above.

You can also be in ketosis with more than 20 g of carbs, especially if you mean gross (not net) carbs. Generally under 50 g net will be ketosis, although it makes sense to give some wiggle room, especially if one is not that active. I aimed for around 35-40 g net carbs when I was doing it.

But bigger point is protein -- no reason to have a lower protein goal at keto than would ordinarily be recommended at a deficit, and about .65-.85 g per lb of a healthy goal weight (I tend to average this to .8) is good. For a 6 ft man, depends on goal, but say one's goal is 165 -- then around 132 would be good, no need to stress to try to keep it half that, which probably would lead to more muscle mass loss and a diet harder to sustain for most.

Around .8-1 g per kg is the normal minimum protein needed, but it's not a cap, and it's low for someone at a deficit, and you certainly would not calculate it based on the lowest healthy body weight for your height if your goal is to maintain or build muscle!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jazzb9363 wrote: »

Remember high fats!

My meals are boring. But not to me, because I like what I eat! Whenever I try a new recipe, I end up eating more. So although it might be boring, it's easier to log and keep up with eating the same things over and over. One thing I learned early on, was to keep it simple. Stay away from sweeteners as much as possible. Its the easiest way to get thoaw sugar cravings out of your system.

Mornings are usually eggs of some form, bacon (of course) and maybe berries or an avocado. Lunch is usually leftovers from dinner the night before, or McDonald's artisan grilled chicken sandwich without the bun and a side salad. I've also had their quarter pounders without the bun too.

Dinners might be steak, broccoli, green beans, pizza toppings, tuna/egg salad, hotdogs, cauliflower, hamburger, or breakfast all over again. I usually include cheese in some shape or form too. Like I mentioned earlier, my meals are boring. But I've gone from 227 to 190 since October 1, 2017!

57 grams of protein is H E LL to achieve! I go over my limit of 50 all the time! So don't sweat it. These numbers are just suggestions. It's also good to stagger your calories/day. Eat up to your TDEE one day, go lower than 2250 another. My TDEE is 1796. I ate 1897 calories yesterday, 30 carbs and 77 protein! I lost a pound. I usually try to keep my caloric intake to around 1550. I tend to go over a lot. But not over my TDEE. Until yesterday, due to poor planning on my part! A calorie deficit is necessary for the most part though.

Anyways, this all is one way to do it. You'll discover that there are MANY suggestions on how to be successful on Keto. You find the way that works best for you and can be sustained for a length of time. My main tips are to keep it simple, drink water, keep up with your electrolytes, not only weigh, but measure too, take before photos, and eat the foods you enjoy. I don't like brussels sprouts or asparagus. I hate seafood/fish except tuna. If I had to consume any of those foods for the sake of Keto, I'd never make it.

Keto is sub 50g of carbs. Some may have to get down to 20g depending on their medical conditions and activity level. Also, that little protein is a recipe for muscle loss (which is already harder when you are glycogen depleted) which will cause a reduction in metabolism and make it harder for you to get a leaner body; if you are losing muscle, you aren't losing fat at high of a rate.

It is more optimal to get 1.5 to 2.2g/kg of weight in regards to protein. Or an easy way to calculate it, is aim for roughly 1g per lb of your goal weight.
  • pendennis
    pendennis Posts: 117 Member
    Options

This can be normal as you shift your eating. Try to give it a whole month to see if your energy picks up. I felt the same but I stuck with it and my energy shot back up. There are alot of great recipes out there which can really satisfy. My question would be how are you getting your fat macros? There are great fat bomb recipes which may help your energy levels.