Why I left Weight Watchers new "Freestyle" Program

Options

Replies

• lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    ztaylor205 wrote: »
    This zero points food list is amusing-- some of these can be quite caloric (like beans and fatty fish like certain types of salmon.) Even salsa can add up, if you're the kind of person who heaps it on. I've eaten about 1,000 calories of shrimp in a day before (200 grams of protein!) and even that would count as "zero points," because zero times anything is zero.

Not to mention that shrimp (and beans) is a boatload of sodium!!
  • monamghanna
    monamghanna Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also left Weight Watchers recently after the new program was introduced. I tried it for a few weeks but hated the restrictions, as in being told what to eat instead of just being given a number of points per day and eating what you wish. I had already lost a reasonable amount of weight with calorie counting, initially on paper then using MFP (with an older account I deleted). I tried Weight Watchers for a while, and liked the old system, especially having the weekly points and how it encouraged you to eat healthier. But now it's more restrictive to me, and I'm back to calorie counting. I struggle with eating too much with calorie counting, but at least I know it works and it's not a 'program' which can be changed without warning. I've got 16kg left to lose (I've lost about 28kg already) so I hope I reach my goal.
  • LBeekman2017
    LBeekman2017 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This almost sounds like their 20 20 plan...you didn't have to track much...just have 20g fiber minimum and 20g fat max in a day. Needless to say, you could work the system just like people have been doing with smart points and now freestyle. There is even a new colab on YouTube for WW freestyle trader Joe favorites. Most are 0 point items...and most are fake sugar sweetened or high sodium and all of it prepackaged and $$$.
  • nicpalumbonyc
    nicpalumbonyc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    MissyCHF wrote: »
    The point is, the longer a member takes to get to goal, the more money WW are coining in - simple arithmetic!

It’s funny, because I reached my goal in November, and was willing to continue on WW for maintenance because the smart points was really easy for me to follow. Paying the monthly fee was worth it because the program was easy to follow and I felt good. When they switched, I complained openly on Consumer Alerts. WW reached out and offered me a free month, which I felt was reasonable. I’m holding out a bit longer in the hopes that they’ll realize that they need to bring back smart points. Lol.

• LifeIsThePits
    LifeIsThePits Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow! I would get myself in SOOOO much trouble trying to follow the 200 food list! Some of those are really not as low in calories as you’d think, so I can’t imagine anyone just grazing alllll day on these “zero point” foods and still being successful. There has to be some kind of guideline, not just a free-for-all. Glad you’re here on MFP and I hope this is the community you’re looking for!
  • ldecaprio
    ldecaprio Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have done both, tracked points and tracked in MFP and MFP is more "real life" for me. It wasn't until I tracked in MFP that I really learned about calories. Just having a rough estimate in my head of what foods are what calories, I can make informed decisions on the fly and still be within my daily calorie goal. I could never do that with points. Welcome back and I wish you nothing but great success here!
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do well on freestyle..I joined in Oct. 2017- didn't lose a pound, in 3 weeks. Probably thanks to the 0 point foods!. So i cancelled..and decided to stick with myfitnesspal . Down 2 pounds in 2 weeks. Some of us have eating disorders..and do overeat..therfore eating way too many calories, and not losing weight. I'm glad you posted this.
  • CatDancing4u
    CatDancing4u Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm with all of you...just re-joined here because I cant eat enough on 23 points without cooking a huge slab of fish or bowls of veg for dinner and I don't always want to cook! Lost 30 pounds last year on Smart Points but can't handle this Freestyle thing. Previously I had a sandwich for lunch and the same for dinner and lost all that weight. Not enough points now to do the same method. I'm out.
  • namasara
    namasara Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your fantastic post. I left WW yesterday and am feeling sad and disappointed in myself. Did I make the right decision? Am I giving up on myself? BUT, I can't continue to pay for a program that I'm gaining weight on. I was eating so much every day because it was free, and it was counterproductive for me. I'm so glad that some of us have had the courage to take control back and come here. I'm hoping for success and sending you positive vibes!!!
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    namasara wrote: »
    Thank you so much for your fantastic post. I left WW yesterday and am feeling sad and disappointed in myself. Did I make the right decision? Am I giving up on myself? BUT, I can't continue to pay for a program that I'm gaining weight on. I was eating so much every day because it was free, and it was counterproductive for me. I'm so glad that some of us have had the courage to take control back and come here. I'm hoping for success and sending you positive vibes!!!

If you are switching to another program like mfp from ww, I don't see it as giving up on yourself. If the program was not a good fit for you and did not work for you, it is a rational choice to try something else. Good luck on your mfp journey.