Surprising Calorie Findings

Options
1235»

Replies

• JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    DanK1988 wrote: »
    My choice would honestly be cooking oil. I mean jeez 1 tablespoon is 120 calories and that's barely enough for me to cook 1 diced potato without it sticking to the pan and burning.

I use PAM quite often, instead of oil or butter. It isn't calorie free but has a lot less than oil. Some of my pans are older so I like to put a little something on it just to be sure it doesn't stick.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Yeah nuts have SO many calories, but are so good and so good for you!
    They're only so good for you if you can manage to fit a decent portion in, which is sadly hardly ever for me. Eating the pitiful official serving size only makes me want about 12 more servings immediately.
  • dlm4mom
    dlm4mom Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Sausage. A roll is 16 ounces, 2 ounces (1/8 of a roll) is over 200 calories. My "healthy " casserole with assorted vegetables with 1/2 sausage roll on the top serves 2. So 400 calories per serving plus the vegetables. I am very sad. Crap.
  • nknis8556
    nknis8556 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Raw almonds, particularly the fat content.

Also, I was shocked at the sugar content in dried cranberries (unsweetened). For some time, I had been snacking on them; I immediately stopped doing so once I realized how much sugar was in them and, after some time, greatly reduced the frequency of using them as a topping for greek yoghurt.
  • Sammisummers
    Sammisummers Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and alcohol, namely cocktails!
  • CatL1911
    CatL1911 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    On the high end: VH stirfry sauces. And realizing that even a 'thin' hand-sliced piece of bread was often around 1.5 oz.

On the low end: Shakshuka (basically poached eggs atop a chunky tomato-eggplant sauce). I was looking for an option for dining out with friends and saw it on the menu at a Middle Eastern restaurant. And then I realized that there's almost no way to make a super-caloric version (unless you do something obvious, like serve it swimming in oil. The restaurant actually brings it in a bread bowl, but I request it without). It can run from 150 to around 500 calories.

At brunch last weekend my husband got spinach and cream shakshuka, and it's the only shakshuka I've every really liked, and of course the most calorific :'(

Dates are a real bummer for me, and I usually avoid them now because of the calories. Jachnun and bourekas are two of my favorite things that are pretty shocking - it's hard to believe you can pack so many calories into one dish. I would say the most surprising to me is how widely the calorie count can vary in things like sandwiches or pizza or even popcorn.
  • KatieNicole95
    KatieNicole95 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It's that moment when you realize one it that you used to eat frequently is over your daily calories for MAINTENANCE. What I used to order at my local Japanese restaurant, with the egg rolls, fortune cookie, and TWO full containers of shrimp sauce is over 3,000 calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    dlm4mom wrote: »
    Sausage. A roll is 16 ounces, 2 ounces (1/8 of a roll) is over 200 calories. My "healthy " casserole with assorted vegetables with 1/2 sausage roll on the top serves 2. So 400 calories per serving plus the vegetables. I am very sad. Crap.

Yeah I stick to poultry sausage now!
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    JennJ323 wrote: »
    DanK1988 wrote: »
    My choice would honestly be cooking oil. I mean jeez 1 tablespoon is 120 calories and that's barely enough for me to cook 1 diced potato without it sticking to the pan and burning.

I use PAM quite often, instead of oil or butter. It isn't calorie free but has a lot less than oil. Some of my pans are older so I like to put a little something on it just to be sure it doesn't stick.
    PAM IS a good way to save calories yes, but have you ever read the ingredients list on the back of the can?
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I was surprised when I checked the calories of my favorite Longhorn Steakhouse dish. I love their Parmesan Crusted Chicken.......loved is more like it now. It is 1260 calories (almost my entire day's worth) or 630 if you only eat half. I figured out a way to make it less calories at home :)
  • cryonic_273
    cryonic_273 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    A handful of cashews - 1200 calories.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    A handful of cashews - 1200 calories.

Wow, you must have big hands!