Shirataki Noodles?

Options

Replies

• tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I've used the konjac noodles twice now, both times in a stir fry. After following online advice, I rinsed them really well several times then put them in a hot pan to evaporate some of the moisture which adds to their rubber band texture. Then added them to spicy stir fries and they've bulked them out nicely without any odd flavour or texture. A win as far as I'm concerned.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    You can easily make your own and they are fun and easy to do (and cheap):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVsKmlMUZA8
  • azkabanned
    azkabanned Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    canyonGeek wrote: »
    These are the best ones I've ever tried. No rinsing, no dry frying, just 90 secs in the microwave. For real. They're even good with spicy tomato sauce and cheese, which the others are definitely not. My current favorite is Pad Thai style with peanut sauce. Awesome. Only drawback is they're not 0 cal / 0 carb. Still pretty low, though. (The extra 70 calories is why they chew more like pasta, less like rubber. Totally worth it.)

Picture's not great. Just proof that I'm eating them : )

o2dtl4vky2ep.png

ETA: FWIW, I still eat the 0 cal ones sometimes. I rinse well, then boil, then dry fry and they turn out OK. I just don't think of them as "pasta" or "noodles". I think of them as fiber to bulk up a dish. And they're fine with veggies, chicken and a good sauce.

Looks like a legit pad Thai! Just without the mountain of dried pork flakes on top.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    meowthhh wrote: »
    All I know are the advantages of Japanese shirataki noodles (zero calorie, lots of fibre), but do any health conscious MFPers know if they’re secretly bad for you?

They’re very tempting if I can go nuts on the noods and not worry about calories

@meowthhh my daughter introduced them to me when I first when low carb back in 2014.

I hated them at first but the low carb part and not being highly process (basically one ingredient) I kept on until I figured out how to prep them to get away from the taste smell issue that I had with them.

Now I take them out of the frig and wash them a few times in cold water (well water in our case) then I just heat the sauce and pour it on the cold noodles and suck them down.

My go to fast keto food at the house are picked boiled eggs and StarKist Selects solid yellowfin tuna in extra virgin olive oil but I am a lazy old man that is not into food prep. :)

Let us know if you master the prep part and how you do it.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    They are highly processed. I think they taste terrible to be honest. I would rather have a vegetable cutting a noodle shape then shirataki noodles. I was told that they are definitely not healthy and to avoid them

You were told wrong. 3 ingredients go into making them , high fiber and a good source of calcium.
    FWIW, any food that requires preparation (i.e. slice/dice/mixing/cooking = processed).
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get past the rubber band texture
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »

It is just a mind over matter kind of thing. :)
  • azironasun
    azironasun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I love them, you just have to prepare them properly. It’s basically just straight fiber. Perfectly healthy for you. It just seems new and amazing to Western culture. Amazing in Asian style noodle dishes. People get really disappointed that they don’t taste like flour style pasta but that’s just not really how they’re meant to be used best. Pad Thai sauce, peanut sauce, etc is where they really rock.

They are TERRIFIC in Asian noodle dishes. I love Pad Thai and have recently started making it using shirataki noodles. It tastes great. The noodles pick up the flavor of whatever sauce you're using while providing virtually no calories. The key is in the preparation. Rinse the noodles thoroughly before using to eliminate as much of the 'fishy' taste as possible. I then put them in boiling water for about 4 minutes to finish them off before adding them to a dish. They let me enjoy Asian dishes while keeping the calories in check, so I can lose weight. I enjoy Shirataki Pad Thai at least once every other week.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »

Dry frying helps somewhat with that.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Not that bad if you drain and rinse thoroughly. The initial smell from the package is atrocious

Good way to bulk up a meal. They have no real taste. FYI - they are not zero calorie.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Love them. You got your traditional Japanese shirataki and the tofu kind. I find the ones without tofu are a little less heavy in my stomach. Don't know what I'd do without them honestly. I make a decent very low calorie mac and cheese with a protein for about 300 cals.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Not only do you drain and rinse, they really need to be dry fried. I even dry fry and drain the pan a few times before I consider them done. Moisture is not their friend.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I once loved them. You have to prepare them correctly. I ate them almost daily for about 4 months to volumize my meals. I got so clogged up, I think something was seriously wrong with me. I started taking magnesium citrate supplements and stopped eating these noodles. I'm back to normal now. I haven't had any in almost a year. I will never eat them again. I'm sure I ate too many of them, but the experience has me afraid to even eat them sparingly now.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    I once loved them. You have to prepare them correctly. I ate them almost daily for about 4 months to volumize my meals. I got so clogged up, I think something was seriously wrong with me. I started taking magnesium citrate supplements and stopped eating these noodles. I'm back to normal now. I haven't had any in almost a year. I will never eat them again. I'm sure I ate too many of them, but the experience has me afraid to even eat them sparingly now.

@leejoyce31
    I saw your private message on this. I'll answer you here if that's okay.

I DO have chronic constipation, but it is not from shirataki noodles. I go extended periods of time without eating them.
  • Aerocrazd
    Aerocrazd Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I make a decent very low calorie mac and cheese with a protein for about 300 cals.

Can you give me a recipe for this or tell me where you have posted it before. It sounds interesting. Also, what type of shirataki noodles do you buy? I'm having a hard time finding them except the ones with tofu. Thanks!
  • bglasgow15
    bglasgow15 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I actually like them, though I've read lots of posts to the contrary here. RAMEN LIVES AGAIN in my life. I prep them by dumping them in a colander under cold running water (frankly, they stink at first) and toss them for a minute or so to rinse them well. Then I throw them in a lightly oiled hot pan and sear them off to heat them and further remove the funky flavor. Depending on the dish, I'll season them while they sizzle with salt and pepper, Italian seasonings, or coconut aminos.
    Here's my latest recipe using them.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/138435296718189
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Aerocrazd wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I make a decent very low calorie mac and cheese with a protein for about 300 cals.

Can you give me a recipe for this or tell me where you have posted it before. It sounds interesting. Also, what type of shirataki noodles do you buy? I'm having a hard time finding them except the ones with tofu. Thanks!

I buy regular ones at Japanese groceries but I use the tofu ones for the mac and cheese. They are literally macaroni noodles. I dry fry them, then add like 3-4 wedges of laughing cow cheese while the pan is on the burner still. I use a rubber spatula to get the cheese melted, and add the meat. I eat two bags at once because I am beastly.
  • randomlyred
    randomlyred Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    leejoyce31 wrote: »

Are you sure you are talking about the same thing and that these were the cause? Cause as far as I know they are nothing but water and fiber so you should the exact reverse reaction when eating these :)

If you have IBS you can get flares by eating too much of either kind of fibre - I have the same reaction to shirataki noodles. They're pretty much 100% soluble fibre and that messes up my guts.