Keto vs Low Carb advice?

Options
Hello everyone! I wanted to ask and see what resources you use on doing the keto diet and getting fabulous results. Also, would it be preferably better to go low carb or keto? I’m really needing help because it’s always been confusing to me. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
  • Dehlahcruzin
    Dehlahcruzin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    A better resource that explains keto well and correctly is reddit Keto's FAQ. https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
    I don't like dietdoctor anymore. They've aligned themselves with certain people whom I feel misrepresent LCHF.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    A better resource that explains keto well and correctly is reddit Keto's FAQ. https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
    I don't like dietdoctor anymore. They've aligned themselves with certain people whom I feel misrepresent LCHF.

Thanks for the link. That looks like a good source. It's quite sensible about protein, for example.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I've been doing low carb now for about a week and a half and have lost 7 lbs. What I have found, is that by lowering my carb intake, I am also lowering my calories. If you eat the right low carbs foods, it will automatically lower your calorie intake. On any diet, you can not just eat what you want because it's low calorie or low fat or low carb. It comes down to WHAT you eat. Pork Skins are zero carbs. That doesn't make them healthy. Also, I can't make myself do the high fat in this diet either. I just can't wrap my brain around taking in so much fat. So I stick to the healthy low carb foods. Lean meats, veggies, eggs, cheese and certain nuts. You have to find what works for you. Personally this has been the easiest diet I've ever done. Granted it's only been a couple of weeks but I'm not hungry, keeping my carbs under 50 and my calories have been 1300 or less and I drink a lot of water. Good luck on which ever route you choose. It's different for everyone.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    TONYAGOOCH wrote: »
    I've been doing low carb now for about a week and a half and have lost 7 lbs. What I have found, is that by lowering my carb intake, I am also lowering my calories. If you eat the right low carbs foods, it will automatically lower your calorie intake. On any diet, you can not just eat what you want because it's low calorie or low fat or low carb. It comes down to WHAT you eat. Pork Skins are zero carbs. That doesn't make them healthy. Also, I can't make myself do the high fat in this diet either. I just can't wrap my brain around taking in so much fat. So I stick to the healthy low carb foods. Lean meats, veggies, eggs, cheese and certain nuts. You have to find what works for you. Personally this has been the easiest diet I've ever done. Granted it's only been a couple of weeks but I'm not hungry, keeping my carbs under 50 and my calories have been 1300 or less and I drink a lot of water. Good luck on which ever route you choose. It's different for everyone.

I've been eating pork rinds about every day for over 3 years. Bloodwork is top notch. Weight is nice, too. :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There's no way I'd ever consider keto outside of a medical condition that basically required it. Some of my favorite foods are carbohydrates, and not the junky kind. I love my veg and fruit and things like lentils and legumes and potatoes and other root vegetables are some of my favorite things, so I'd be absolutely miserable just eating a bunch of fat.

I could probably do lowish carb...and when I cut weight I typically do cut back on carbs because that's the easiest macro to flex out...but I couldn't do keto unless someone told me I'd die if I didn't...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    climana wrote: »
    debpet666 wrote: »
    . it explains how keto works.....its not just calories in calories out

Of couse it is. ..eat 4000 calories a day for a month keto style and see the results.

Look up Sam Felhams 5,000 calorie keto experiment. Seems like the science does point to better results with lower carb. CICO applies, however the body burns fat differently than carbs. Carbs spike insulin and lead to storage whereas overeating fat causes more Calories Out through compensatory mechanisms like thermogenesis. I'm a traditionally trained dietitian but I can't ignore the strong body of science supporting keto diets. Hoping the tides are starting to turn.

When equating for calories and more importantly protein, there is zero difference in weight loss between keto/low carb diets and high sugar/high carb diets.

And fats are much easier to store as fat. If you don't believe it, look at over feed studies on de novo lipogenesis. The rate at which carbs are stored as fats is small.

Basics of fat metabolism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpMbsz9T2vA

Keto can be advantageous for those who are satiated by fats and/or enjoy that style of eating.
  • squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    There's no way I'd ever consider keto outside of a medical condition that basically required it. Some of my favorite foods are carbohydrates, and not the junky kind. I love my veg and fruit and things like lentils and legumes and potatoes and other root vegetables are some of my favorite things, so I'd be absolutely miserable just eating a bunch of fat.

I could probably do lowish carb...and when I cut weight I typically do cut back on carbs because that's the easiest macro to flex out...but I couldn't do keto unless someone told me I'd die if I didn't...

I'm always confused when I see posts like this that imply keto restricts veggies. I eat more veggies now than I ever did before and I have become more creative in the types of veggies I eat. I limit starchy veggies, yes, but they aren't out of the equation...nor is fruit as long as it fits in my day. How is this different from other ways of eating? I think most people on keto don't just "eat a bunch of fat." We don't spoon down oil. However, I love salad with ranch dressing and broccoli with butter, etc. It's freeing not to vilify fats as I once did.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    There's no way I'll ever do keto unless there's a medical reason as bread, rice, potatoes, pasta and the likes fill me up most. Normal veggies and fruit don't do much, neither yoghurt/skyr. Protein causes reflux and too much fat causes runs to the loo as I don't digest too muhc fat well.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    squeeeyk wrote: »

I'm always confused when I see posts like this that imply keto restricts veggies. I eat more veggies now than I ever did before and I have become more creative in the types of veggies I eat. I limit starchy veggies, yes, but they aren't out of the equation...nor is fruit as long as it fits in my day. How is this different from other ways of eating? I think most people on keto don't just "eat a bunch of fat." We don't spoon down oil. However, I love salad with ranch dressing and broccoli with butter, etc. It's freeing not to vilify fats as I once did.

Keto does restrict veg. I think if you ate few veg before, you won't notice it and may eat more, but there's a restriction.

I did keto briefly to try it, and was used to eating 10+ servings of veg a day, and I had to restrict veg and was always struggling to get in my self-imposed limit of 60 total g of carbs (around 35 g net), and I only ate veg, some nuts (not a lot), avocado, and a small amount of full fat dairy as my carb sources.

If you are going below 20 g, as many people seemed to be recommending, or insisting on less than 50 g total (as one challenge I briefly tried to participate in -- and many were WAY under and seemed to think the lower the better), then you cannot get in the amount of veg many of us think are important (especially since some seemed to be using carbs on other things). I quit in part because I found this annoying, but mostly because I also love fruit and it was summer and I'm not passing on fresh local fruit. (No fruit other than avocado would have fit in unless I cut way back on veg to fit it.)

Ultimately it wasn't useful for me, as I didn't mind keto but didn't perceive any benefits compared to not keto, and I wanted to eat less meat (and cheese and eggs) which for me would not have been possible doing keto.

However, I totally support people trying keto and think it can be helpful for people, but IME it's absolutely true it can be an issue if you like to eat lots of veg.
  • squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    squeeeyk wrote: »

Keto does restrict veg. I think if you ate few veg before, you won't notice it and may eat more, but there's a restriction.

I did keto briefly to try it, and was used to eating 10+ servings of veg a day, and I had to restrict veg and was always struggling to get in my self-imposed limit of 60 total g of carbs (around 35 g net), and I only ate veg, some nuts (not a lot), avocado, and a small amount of full fat dairy as my carb sources.

If you are going below 20 g, as many people seemed to be recommending, or insisting on less than 50 g total (as one challenge I briefly tried to participate in -- and many were WAY under and seemed to think the lower the better), then you cannot get in the amount of veg many of us think are important (especially since some seemed to be using carbs on other things). I quit in part because I found this annoying, but mostly because I also love fruit and it was summer and I'm not passing on fresh local fruit. (No fruit other than avocado would have fit in unless I cut way back on veg to fit it.)

Ultimately it wasn't useful for me, as I didn't mind keto but didn't perceive any benefits compared to not keto, and I wanted to eat less meat (and cheese and eggs) which for me would not have been possible doing keto.

However, I totally support people trying keto and think it can be helpful for people, but IME it's absolutely true it can be an issue if you like to eat lots of veg.

Fair enough. Although, I'd venture to say the average diet likely does not consist of 10+ servings of veggies a day...at least not in America. So limiting carbs may encourage some to meet that limit with more filling foods. At least that was the experience for me. I'd rather have a ginormous salad with lots of toppings and some protein than a small baked potato that would eat up my carbs for the day. Don't get me wrong, I've always loved veggies, but if I don't limit carbs, potatoes and bread will always be my first pick. High carb foods are my weakness and I know many others who share that same weakness.

I will say that yes I eat fruit, but it's more restricted in a sense than veggies for me...but I feel like that's a personal choice as I'm not a huge fruit fanatic.

I will also add that there's tons of benefits to just eating in a way that's sustainable and I'm certainly not going to preach that one diet fits all. In fact, I only went to keto to help control inflammation. Weight loss is a side effect. However, I'm a month in and in my experience, it's been way easier to sustain than any other time I've switched diets. I do believe I'd like to continue this way forever. I think it's a matter of best fit for each person and you just have to find what works for you.