Lyle McDonald: Legit or FOS?

Options
tmoneyag99
tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
edited January 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I keep seeing posts about Lyle all through out MFP and Bodybuilding.com. BUT, I don't know how credible he is. I'm sure he is a sharp dude, but so was Andrew Wakefield. So sharp he knowingly provided false data related to vaccinations so that he could sell HIS vaccinations and now we have a whole movement of people who won't inoculate their children against dangerous diseases.

Point being, I see all of Lyle's studies and posts, but I sometimes have difficulty finding other data to support his findings. Such as the idea that fat cells fill up with water during weight loss.

Excuse me while I, albeit temporarily, exercise my skepticism.

Replies

• rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Obviously, his theorys did not work on himself.

He's not a bodybuilder. Been a skater as far as I know.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Having never heard of the guy I did a quick flick through his stuff.
    It’s an interesting theory he’s got there (squishy fat), while it’s not a dieting theory it is certainly one that would help in explaining why weight loss fluctuates between one week and the next while everything else remains constant. He also says himself there’s not a great deal of scientific evidence to support his claims.
  • redonkulousd
    redonkulousd Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    His lifting programs work. Science schmience aside, this is a fact.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    _mr_b wrote: »
    It’s an interesting theory he’s got there (squishy fat), while it’s not a dieting theory it is certainly one that would help in explaining why weight loss fluctuates between one week and the next while everything else remains constant. He also says himself there’s not a great deal of scientific evidence to support his claims.

There is, however, evidence that fat changes density and it's not always 3500 calories, but often it's higher due to lower water content than the model used to calculate that number.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

There is, however, evidence that fat changes density and it's not always 3500 calories, but often it's higher due to lower water content than the model used to calculate that number.

Which he also wrote about: https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/3500-calorie-rule.html/
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Which he also wrote about: https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/3500-calorie-rule.html/

Yeah, one of the first places I came across that.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Other than genetics and the difference in genitalia, arguably the largest biological difference between women and men is in the relative amounts of the primary reproductive hormones.

I was open to reading Lyle's article regarding women when it was recommended elsewhere here on MFP (https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/announcements/women-nutrition-fat-loss-teaser.html/).

Then I read the above quoted sentence written by Lyle it contains. It tells me all I need to know about him. And that would be he doesn't know anything, is too lazy to bother to learn otherwise, but is going to insist he's a subject matter expert nonetheless. Ain't got no time for such nonsense.

Men and women have biologically homologous genitalia. If you don't know this basic fact of human anatomy and physiology, you have zero business educating others about it, and anything coming out of your mouth after it is highly suspect regarding validity.

Never saw that, but yes, we start off with undifferentiated genitalia that develops to female unless DHT is present at a particular time. I'm trying to recall my embryology right now lol.

Although, I imagine he was speaking in terms of observable difference to a lay audience. I'm not sure though but his site is not an academic treatise.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Other than genetics and the difference in genitalia, arguably the largest biological difference between women and men is in the relative amounts of the primary reproductive hormones.

I was open to reading Lyle's article regarding women when it was recommended elsewhere here on MFP (https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/announcements/women-nutrition-fat-loss-teaser.html/).

Then I read the above quoted sentence written by Lyle it contains. It tells me all I need to know about him. And that would be he doesn't know anything, is too lazy to bother to learn otherwise, but is going to insist he's a subject matter expert nonetheless. Ain't got no time for such nonsense.

Men and women have biologically homologous genitalia. If you don't know this basic fact of human anatomy and physiology, you have zero business educating others about it, and anything coming out of your mouth after it is highly suspect regarding validity.

Don't mistake tactfulness for knowledge. His style and voice aren't for everyone, but his knowledge is as respected as anyone's in the industry.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Don't mistake tactfulness for knowledge. His style and voice aren't for everyone, but his knowledge is as respected as anyone's in the industry.

Nobody would ever accuse Lyle of being tactful lol, but a couple years ago he did come out with a public apology and indicated he had some disorder that made him overreact and become very belligerent at the slightest provocation. I think it might have been ADHD and/or OCD or something similar, and he said he was seeking treatment for this and trying to moderate his responses to others.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Nobody would ever accuse Lyle of being tactful lol, but a couple years ago he did come out with a public apology and indicated he had some disorder that made him overreact and become very belligerent at the slightest provocation. I think it might have been ADHD and/or OCD or something similar, and he said he was seeking treatment for this and trying to moderate his responses to others.

Bipolar.
    https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/bipolar/an-open-apology-to-the-internet.html/

He's also written several recovery updates, which are interesting and insightful, starting here with Part I:
    https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/bipolar/bipolar-recovery-update-1.html/

Thanks, I forgot what it was that he was dealing with.