Lyle McDonald: Legit or FOS?

Options

Replies

• gogetemrogue
    gogetemrogue Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    A dolphins fin is homologous to my arm, I'm a crappy swimmer and Flipper doesn't even lift.

Exactly. :smiley:
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Whatevs!

I am sure that I can search through his web-site and catch more than one mistake. And I am sure that he has forgotten more about training, exercise and weight loss than I've ever learned. And that some other people that he associates with are even more scientific than he is in terms of their understanding.

But, you know what? He makes fairly well backed, relevant, and reasonable information available and presents it in a way that is understandable and often contains references that allow me to do my own further research!

I am not hiring him to be my god. Heck, I am not even hiring him at all! I am just mooching knowledge off his writings and applying the information as I see fit based on my own interpretation and further research.

And for him making this knowledge available all I can honestly do is thank him--deeply!

As for being skeptical... what is wrong with being skeptical? Taking any single sourced piece of information at face value seems stupid. That said... i wouldn't count on my fat cells getting water filled. Regardless, that won't stop water retention, or wooshes, especially when dealing with a stressed body.

I think his biggest arguments have been with people like Layne Norton over why so many female competitors have trouble losing weight for competitions after they have lost for them in the past. Layne speaks about metabolic issues such as adaptive thermogenesis and provides various evidence of that while Lyle takes the approach that the stress on female competitors raises cortisol rates leading to massive water retention. I don't know if that debate was ever resolved but I haven't heard much about it in the last couple years at least.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    ...Personally can't wait to read the womens' book to see what sort of research he's come up with.

Hint: Lyle credited Eric Helms with being a significant source. Eric recently completed his PhD, is a competitive bodybuilder and powerlifter, and has very solid research credentials.
  • susan23629
    susan23629 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of this person. What are his qualifications? Is he a doctor or sports Doc or a scientist? I looked him up after reading all this and found nothing.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ...Personally can't wait to read the womens' book to see what sort of research he's come up with.

Hint: Lyle credited Eric Helms with being a significant source. Eric recently completed his PhD, is a competitive bodybuilder and powerlifter, and has very solid research credentials.

I believe he has also credited Dr. Brad Dieter who has done lots of work on athletic performance and food- has a PhD in exercise physiology and was a contributor to the Alan Aragon Keto meta-analysis
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    his website is

https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

for those who want to read up on what he says.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    susan23629 wrote: »
    I have never heard of this person. What are his qualifications? Is he a doctor or sports Doc or a scientist? I looked him up after reading all this and found nothing.

He has a degree in, I believe, bio chem but is not a primary researcher. He works mostly as a coach and author. His knowledge and experience is generally respected by published researchers in the fitness field from what I've seen.
  • AnvilHead
    edited January 2018
    Options

He has a degree in, I believe, bio chem but is not a primary researcher. He works mostly as a coach and author. His knowledge and experience is generally respected by published researchers in the fitness field from what I've seen.

According to this interview with him, his degree is in kinesiology/exercise physiology.

ETA: For anybody interested, it was just announced today that his women's book has been published (well, "published" in the sense that it's available as an e-book). 438 pages, 34 chapters and 2 appendices, 850 references.
    (Disclaimer: I have no interest, financial or otherwise - just information.)
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Overview, for anybody who's curious:

Table of Contents:

Foreword
    Chapter 1: Introduction to Women’s Physiology
    Chapter 2: The Normal Menstrual Cycle
    Chapter 3: Hormonal Modifiers
    Chapter 4: Types of Exercise and Goals
    Chapter 5: What is Body Composition?
    Chapter 6: Measuring and Tracking Body Composition
    Chapter 7: Altering Body Composition
    Chapter 8: Energy Balance
    Chapter 9: Metabolic Adaptation
    Chapter 10: Women, Fat Gain and Fat Loss: Part 1
    Chapter 11: Women, Fat Gain and Fat Loss: Part 2
    Chapter 12: Menstrual Cycle Dysfunction
    Chapter 13: Stress
    Chapter 14: Fixing the Problems
    Chapter 15: Introduction to Dieting
    Chapter 16: Determining Maintenance Calories
    Chapter 17: Adjusting Daily Calories
    Chapter 18: Goal Setting
    Chapter 19: Calculating Nutrient Requirements
    Chapter 20: Nutrient Sources, Electrolytes, Fluids and Diet Products
    Chapter 21: Flexible Eating Strategies
    Chapter 22: Around Workout Nutrition
    Chapter 23: Meal Frequency and Patterning
    Chapter 24: Supplements
    Chapter 25: Estimating Dieting Times
    Chapter 26: Identifying and Breaking Plateaus
    Chapter 27: Adjusting for Metabolic Adaptation
    Chapter 28: Training Guidelines
    Chapter 29: Sample Training Programs
    Chapter 30: Hormonal Category Templates
    Chapter 31: The Category 2/3 Dieter
    Chapter 32: The Category 1 Dieter and Amenorrhea
    Chapter 33: Ending the Category 1 Diet
    Chapter 34: Studies of Dieting in Elite Athletes
    Appendix 1: Physique Peak Week and Making Weight
    Appendix 2: The Stubborn Fat Protocols
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    His big pink monstrosity The Women's Book Vol. 1 was *finally* released just a few hours ago....I've been waiting for ages for this!

Yes, OP, he is completely legit, wonderfully knowledgeable, and keeps very good company.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Erfw7471 wrote: »
    His big pink monstrosity The Women's Book Vol. 1 was *finally* released just a few hours ago....I've been waiting for ages for this!

FYI, according to FB posts, his website is currently overloaded and randomly inaccessible. Be patient, lol.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Gah. I'm trying to buy the book but everyone killed the site.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

According to this interview with him, his degree is in kinesiology/exercise physiology.

ETA: For anybody interested, it was just announced today that his women's book has been published (well, "published" in the sense that it's available as an e-book). 438 pages, 34 chapters and 2 appendices, 850 references.
    (Disclaimer: I have no interest, financial or otherwise - just information.)

Thanks I couldn't remember the degree but I knew it was definitely related to fitness. It's been a couple years since I really looked at his stuff.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Gah. I'm trying to buy the book but everyone killed the site.

Yeah his book release has shown up a few times on my feed. Seems to be popular.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    In case anyone had trouble with downloads or purchases

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    The women’s book came out today:

https://store.bodyrecomposition.com