Funny looks when buying healthy food...

I HATE when I go grocery shopping and I'm trying to shop healthy. Like I'll get a pack of v8 juice, a random assortment of fresh fruits, whole wheat pasta, etc. And I always feel like the skinny little thing behind the cash register is looking at me and thinking, "Yeah you NEED to be eating that kind of stuff."

Anyone else ever feel like this?

Replies

• pbeans
    pbeans Posts: 42
    LOL! Yes! I feel like I'm being judged. I also hate bumping into someone and them checking out my buggy. I feel like they are judging me also. Mostly, I think they are thinking "why is she fat if she eats like this?"
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    That's when you look them back in disgust at the crap THEY have in their cart! :bigsmile:
  • I always feel a little funny when I am buying something new, and I stand there comparing the nutrition labels for like 5 minutes. I feel as though people are judging me just the same. I just have to remember it's probably all in my head!
  • spade74
    spade74 Posts: 42
    yeah lol....
  • HannahPendrigh
    HannahPendrigh Posts: 147 Member
    I used to think like this, and the same when I went to the gym but then I thought.. well I bet they'd judge me more if I was buying a massive cake. Same with the gym, at least I'm doing something about it, at least I'm not sat in Mcdonalds!
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    You know what? I stopped caring what other people think a long time ago. If I have crisps or pasties in my basket, they're probably for someone else anyway. On the other hand, do you go looking what other people buy and judge them on it? Cos most people are too involved in their own lives to bother.
  • Scoobies87
    Scoobies87 Posts: 379
    Reminds me of my trip to tesco last week when I was looking at the pizza isle and a random man said said to me 'not good for the figure love'.

I felt like punching him!
  • kkova811
    kkova811 Posts: 89 Member
    I got those looks just a few hours ago! Its ok because we all know our goals. Today I bought a bunch of fruit and wheat thins and some of those individual cheese wedges and yogurt and the cashier made sure to count out loud all the fruit I bought!
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 904 Member
    For sure!! Especially when I shop for vegetarian food. I’m far from a vegetarian, I just like a lot of the food. I get looks like yeah, right!!
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    I think it look strange when I buy groceries for myself and my boyfriend. So there will be kale, avocados, tomatoes, lean protein, and granola (my stuff) and then... Lunchables, mayonnaise, sugary yoghurt, soda, ground beef, crisps (his).

I'm somewhat slight (now). A man behind me once mused "Do you really eat that stuff?" when I was loading my boyfriend's groceries onto the belt. I doubt cashier's even notice; I don't notice things like that.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    I am the totally opposite. I feel absolutely paranoid if I buy anything unhealthy. For example last week my husband ask me to buy him chips, and I got him the huge bag , plus my toddler ask for icecream and I gave in. At the cash register, I was so ashamed to pay for them. Plus I always buy white bread, because my husband refuses to eat whole wheat and I do not eat as much bread to worth to buy a whole loaf for myself. i always feel the cashier is judging me because I buy white bread and I have a toddler right there with me.
  • Scoobies87
    I always feel a little funny when I am buying something new, and I stand there comparing the nutrition labels for like 5 minutes. I feel as though people are judging me just the same. I just have to remember it's probably all in my head!

I would kill for your abs (slightly off subject I know!)
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    I've had cashiers make comments about all the organic fruits and veggies I buy, as if it bothers them for some reason. ::shrug::

I usually chalk it up to people being bored and looking for something to pick on, lol
  • lindsey_mickeyd
    lindsey_mickeyd Posts: 101 Member
    I used to think like this, and the same when I went to the gym but then I thought.. well I bet they'd judge me more if I was buying a massive cake. Same with the gym, at least I'm doing something about it, at least I'm not sat in Mcdonalds!

Yeah that's absolutely true! And you know what though...I must confess, I'm guilty of judging fat people when they buy cakes or sweets...maybe that's why I'm so self-conscious now??
    Reminds me of my trip to tesco last week when I was looking at the pizza isle and a random man said said to me 'not good for the figure love'.

I felt like punching him!

OMGOSH!! That's SOOO rude!! Why do people think it's ok to actually SAY something like that to a perfect stranger who's probably already self-conscious enough as it is?? I probably would've been like, "Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize I'd asked for your opinion."
  • daniey89
    daniey89 Posts: 23
    haha i know what you mean or if your at lunch and someone says.."thats a very healthy lunch you have there" I always get kinda awkward..not too sure why but yeah. And i totally know what you mean about reading nurtitional labels..and people judging the food in your basket.
  • definitely feel the same way .... but we are doing the right thing and in a few weeks or months you can feel a bit more confident when you lost more ... hopefully get the same check-out gal ... and then whose laughing :wink:
  • Scoobies87
    I think it look strange when I buy groceries for myself and my boyfriend. So there will be kale, avocados, tomatoes, lean protein, and granola (my stuff) and then... Lunchables, mayonnaise, sugary yoghurt, soda, ground beef, crisps (his).

I'm somewhat slight (now). A man behind me once mused "Do you really eat that stuff?" when I was loading my boyfriend's groceries onto the belt. I doubt cashier's even notice; I don't notice things like that.

I used to work at tesco. I always used to pay attention to what people bought, it made my day go quicker! When someone came along buying healthy food It used to make my day-it was so refreshing to see!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,318 Member
    You know what? I stopped caring what other people think a long time ago. If I have crisps or pasties in my basket, they're probably for someone else anyway. On the other hand, do you go looking what other people buy and judge them on it? Cos most people are too involved in their own lives to bother.

Ha ha, I'm glad I read a thread earlier on the different words used on different continents! I'm in the U.S., so these are unusual for me.

Crisps: European for "cookies"

Pasties: European for dough filled with meat, cheese or the like. Not sure we have a food equivilent of "Pasties". . . . but if you go to a local strip club in some more conservative towns you'll see a generous number of these. Two per woman. . .if you get my meaning :laugh:

Every once in a while I do. But honestly I am more self-conscious when buying goodies then healthy foods. I feel like everyone is thinking "oh look at the fatty buying cookies, rolls and soda!" lmao.. :D
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    I always feel like that at the health food store. I buy all kinds of vegan things for myself and a carton of eggs and turkey for my fiance. I always get these confused looks from the cashier and they assume that the person after me has the eggs and try to finish ringing me.