Has anyone here done intermittent fasting?

Options
2»

Replies

• CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I thought one of the benefits of IF was increased metabolism, but no one mentioned this. Am I mistaken?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I thought one of the benefits of IF was increased metabolism, but no one mentioned this. Am I mistaken?

Yeah, doesn't really do much if anything.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've been on 8:16 for practically forever ;)
  • MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I just found this with a quick search:
    Intermittent fasting. As in, eating 500 calories 1 to 2 days a week, or going 12 to 18 hours a day without food. More a dieting pattern than a diet, science says it can help you lose weight (a smaller eating window means less calories consumed), but even better, research has linked it to improved blood sugar levels, decreased risk of heart disease and cancer, and, according to neuroscientist Mark Mattson's research, it might just help your brain ward off neurogenerative diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's while improving mood and memory.

Does anyone know how many days, weeks, or length of time you can do Intermittent fasting?

I wouldn't call going 12 hours intermittent fasting. That sounds more like a standard eating routine. It's also still possible to overeat while doing IF.

Can you provide sources to this research?

5:2 and such can be done while you're losing weight (as your deficit is created from the 500 calorie days). 16:8 can be done as long as you'd like. Many people were following that pattern long before they came here.

I just started a thread on Intermittent Fasting on Challenges. I am posting research and welcoming any more research and information there and challenges.
  • MaryBethHempel
    Options
    I just started a thread on Intermittent Fasting on Challenges. I am posting research and welcoming any more research and information there and challenges.
  • MaryBethHempel
    Options
    I posted there because so many go to Challenges and have never heard of Intermittent Fasting.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I find that it makes it easier to stick to my calorie goal and feel satisfied In the evenings. I don’t have any time schedule that I stick to, I just don’t eat breakfast.
  • LindsayGii
    LindsayGii Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Fasting has been shown to reset levels of IGF1 which is a growth hormone. High levels of IGF-1 put cells into 'go' mode and so increase the risk of colorectal, breast and prostate cancer. Low levels of IGF-1 reduce those risks. So fasting -IF - has health benefits but because you eat normally most of the time it won't reduce weight much on it's own. There is a really good BBC Horizon about this. Also this article http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-25549805
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    fatvegan88 wrote: »
    If you are one of those people that’s constantly hungry and a binge eater, I think intermittent fasting is amazing.

That’s me and I find I’m finally not literally hungry enough to kill lol I feel great and it’s showing me a lot about my body and connection to food.
    I’m only 2 weeks in and I eat a lot of carbs because vegan. But I have lost 7 lbs.

n=1, so take this for what it's worth...

but binge tendencies and IF can be a slippery slope. It could work really well, or it could exacerbate the binges.
  • enane1
    enane1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do a pretty easy window of IF - eating between 11 AM to 7 AM. I do it because it stops me from eating everything in my kitchen late at night. I just make sure my last meal of the day is big enough that I don't go to bed hungry. It's really helped me with binge eating- but I could see how it could trigger someone too. I feel GREAT though and I'm able to eat within my calorie goal consistently.