Ok guys...Realistic Expectations. How long are we talking?

Options
So I've decided this year, I am not going to get lackadaisical when I start to look "alright" but instead I'm going to go all in and do this for an entire YEAR and PUSH MYSELF and see where that gets me.

But I'm curious as to what my time frame looks like? Here's some stats + goals:

FEMALE
5'5"
146 lbs
26-28% body fat (I do not have a large chest, so sadly that is not contributing too much to this figure!! No pun intended LOL)
Medium build

Goal Weight = Sexy (Best guess is 125-130 lbs and 21% body fat)

I'm on 1300 calories a day with a desk job, currently only working out 20-30 min a day, 3-4 days a week, just doing calisthenics. In 2 weeks I'll incorporate some cardio: 20-30 min on the treadmill, 4mph. As strength increases, I'll add in weights.

Protein is 40% of my diet so as not to lose muscle. Macros are 81g of carbs / 51g of fat / 130g of protein.

I understand everyone's journey is different. But I was wondering about how long it takes to see the kind of results I'm looking for. How long it took for any of you...A year? 7 months? I think having realistic expectations is going to help me (mentally!) stick to my goals.

Replies

• southrnchic479
    southrnchic479 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom - no actually MFP gave me 1249 for 1lb a week with 15 lbs to lose. I upped it to 1300. My BMR is estimated @ 1467 so I thought 1300 was appropriate?
  • southrnchic479
    edited January 2018
    Options
    sdolan91 wrote: »
    http://www.losertown.org/eats/cal.php
    plug in your stuff and it'll give you a little timeline

I find MFP timeline to be a big fat lie haha. It's NEVER worked for me :P

MY BAD. Didn't even see the link. I'll check it out :P
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Looking at it strictly as a math problem...

146lbs @ 27% BF = 39.5lbs of fat mass
    125lbs @ 20% BF = 25lbs of fat mass

Losing 15lbs of fat is 15ish weeks depending on how aggressive you are with the deficit/losing.

Obviously this is oversimplified, but it's a starting point.

From my experience... the biggest problem with "realistic expectations" is that I have no idea how light or lean I need to be to reach my goal appearance. I've hit my goal weight a few times. I've hit my goal BF% once or twice. But I've never been close to my goal appearance. So each time I hit a goal weight or BF % that doesn't lead to my goal look, I change my goal weight/BF% and start the whole damn process over.
  • southrnchic479
    Options
    @cwolfman13 that 5 year bit is both inspiring and terrifying all at the same time LOL. I think the key is (and I have always known this, I just have failed to implement it) is that this is a LIFE CHANGE. Not a means to an end. The methods in which I sculpt my body and feed it may evolve, but if I want results then that aspect has always got to be there. I changed my life about 5 years ago and lost 23 lbs and have never returned to that since, so now I've just got to get off my lazy @ss and finish the job lol!

@jjpptt2 yeah I'm right there with you - I have no idea how light or lean I need to be either - I've never been there (?!) LOL. Also, I totally did that math yesterday and was grossed out at the idea of having 40 lbs of fat on my body yikes! But yea, I just need to remember that it's going to end up being a lot of tweaking here and there, reassessing and "starting over". You're totally right about that.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on your goals.

I'm pretty much stuck with a recomp as opposed to a serious weight loss program, due to the simple fact that regaining lost and atrophied muscle and fitness is a MUCH bigger priority than losing the fat. I've got enough fat on me for things to steadily recomp, but it's not going to be fast.

My stats are:
    F/39/5'7"
    Current Weight: 154-155
    Previous "happy" weight (in another life, like 8 years ago): 127-131

I just increased my workouts again, so am now at the gym for about 2 hours a day/5 days a week. M-F job is a desk job, weekend gigs have me on my feet all day and/or riding on track.

I try to eat at a slight deficit, but I'll admit it's not a huge one. TDEE is ~2300, most days I try to be closer to the ~1850 mark. Some days I'm just plain old hungry and will eat closer to maintenance.

Not the fastest way to get results, but my measurements have been steadily (albeit slowly) shrinking, clothes are slowly fitting better, scale has barely budged in nearly 3 weeks.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I generally agree so much with what @cwolfman13 says I don't bother posting in a thread he has posted in. Just give it an appropriate hug to mean awsome.

However, in this case, I think he has not given enough time for your 15 lbs loss.

The first 10 will probably come off in 10-14 weeks, the last 5 could take equally as long, just keep on plugging away and don't get deterred.

If you are working on resculpting your body, (do find a good lifting programme in the 'which lifting program is best for you thread' stickied in the gaining forum)
    Switching to a .5kbs a week for the last 5lbs (personally I would consider doing it for the whole 15) will probably give you a better progression with your lifts.

Totally agree with it is an ever evolving journey. I too have been maintaining for a long time and my body, though I was happy with it when I hit maintenance, just keeps slowly improving both in capability and looks.

Cheers, h.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,611 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You don't get a sexy body in a year and then stop and retain your sexy body.

That said, set a reasonable deficit between 500 and 250 cal a day (sounds like you've done exactly that assuming you're planning on eating back your exercise calories), keep up the protein and sleep, and go at it talking measurements and pictures and weigh ins along the way (use a weight trend app too)--without time limits :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I generally agree so much with what @cwolfman13 says I don't bother posting in a thread he has posted in. Just give it an appropriate hug to mean awsome.

However, in this case, I think he has not given enough time for your 15 lbs loss.

The first 10 will probably come off in 10-14 weeks, the last 5 could take equally as long, just keep on plugging away and don't get deterred.

If you are working on resculpting your body, (do find a good lifting programme in the 'which lifting program is best for you thread' stickied in the gaining forum)
    Switching to a .5kbs a week for the last 5lbs (personally I would consider doing it for the whole 15) will probably give you a better progression with your lifts.

Totally agree with it is an ever evolving journey. I too have been maintaining for a long time and my body, though I was happy with it when I hit maintenance, just keeps slowly improving both in capability and looks.

Cheers, h.

True...the last 5 Lbs could be tricky

ETA: especially if she's in the low 20s BF% wise...
  • rachelpauline93
    rachelpauline93 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat :) I'm 5'6" and 139. I've been using Libra Tracker (andriod) app and it tells me my estimated date for my goal every time I put in my daily weight. I'm hoping to get down to 125 by the end of May but with my trend, Libra tells me it'll be May 16th. I'm gonna assume it'll take a bit more time as the pounds come off (10 so far)--But I'm planning on adjusting my calorie intake as I go along.

I think I reasonable goal is a pound a week, you don't have a lot to lose and a 500 calorie deficit will get you there in a reasonable amount of time.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    It could be 10 weeks, could be 40.

Really just depends on your calculations and how close you are to the goal number.

Also, remember it will be easier to lose the first few pounds than the last few. As you get closer to maintenance it will slow down significantly.
  • Syres20
    Syres20 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job myself and have trimmed down 26lbs in 3mths thanks to setting up achievable targets. My goal back in October was to lose 45lbs in time for my wedding anniversary in July.
    That would place me at 4.5lbs/mth or roughly a pound a week...very healthy pace, and very attainable. As an added bonus, it became a baseline target which triggered a competitive spirit to try doubling my numbers & results (which explains my current pace of 8lbs/mth)