Ok guys...Realistic Expectations. How long are we talking?

Options
2»

Replies

• BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I agree with starting your weight training now. Pick a program that fits you and get started. I have no clue what my bodyfat percentage is..but I went from one side of the scale to the other to the below stats now and it was over a course of going on 4 years in November.

F/33/5’1”/131

I started at 185 November of 2014 and ended at 121 in August of 2015. I have been slowing gaining but have maintained and recomped at 130-132 for the last year (Feb 2017).
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom - no actually MFP gave me 1249 for 1lb a week with 15 lbs to lose. I upped it to 1300. My BMR is estimated @ 1467 so I thought 1300 was appropriate?

Shouldn't you be eating ABOVE your BMR?
  • southrnchic479
    southrnchic479 Posts: 136 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    To all of the above: yes I absolutely am all in for doing this slowly. I think in the past when I plateaued at 143 (in the gym 3 days a week) after about 3 months I just gave up because I thought it wasn’t working but that just meant I had to switch something up. Also, my living situation has been extremely crazy. I am about to have some stability back in my life and that will definitely help in keeping my goals! The timeline was more or less for me to be able to pat myself on the back and say “don’t worry, you’re doing all of this right. Just give it time.” It’s absolutely a lifelong thing, and this is the year I change my life!

A rather broad question but as far as the strength training, I am only able to do body weight exercises right now. Other than that and my little 5 lb dumbbells, I really don’t know where else to start with the strength training. In a couple weeks I’ll have access to a gym with free weights and one of those cable machine things (I’m a gym newbie). It also has the lat pull down one but no barbells or anything like that. Is that going to be enough to get me started? I’m just so weak from never doing much of anything in my life, I don’t want to go all balls to the wall and hurt myself lol!
  • southrnchic479
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom - no actually MFP gave me 1249 for 1lb a week with 15 lbs to lose. I upped it to 1300. My BMR is estimated @ 1467 so I thought 1300 was appropriate?

Shouldn't you be eating ABOVE your BMR?

Why? I want to lose weight
  • southrnchic479
    Options
    Ohhhh .... may have to revisit my numbers ha. Thanks!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the body weight and dumbbell workouts in this thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I found Nerdfitness, (an excellent site) and a dumbbell routine, gave me good initial progress.
    I used the HasFit beginners dumbbell, but they have plenty of others on YouTube.

The cable machine is a very useful piece of equipment, so research what you can get out of it. The lat pull down will move you towards pull-ups.

Cheers, h.
  • southrnchic479
    Options
    @middlehaitch thank you so much!!
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My stats are similar! I'm 5'4", and last January started MFP at 143. It took 6 months to tone---walking, Pilates, yoga---and lose, with my lowest weight being 126. Now I hover around 128-129, which for me is fine...completely happy where I'm at! My BMI was 22.4 when I had all my numbers done for work last year.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I think people get overly focused on the math of it all...

20lbs, proper diet and exercise, I'd say 3 or 4 months if you get serious...

Eat lightly, eat smart, eat healthy, stay active and honestly who cares how long...

It's no wonder how 98% of people try to timetable this whole thing and 98% gain the weight back...

Make changes that you can stick with for life, or gain it back
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the body weight and dumbbell workouts in this thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I found Nerdfitness, (an excellent site) and a dumbbell routine, gave me good initial progress.
    I used the HasFit beginners dumbbell, but they have plenty of others on YouTube.

The cable machine is a very useful piece of equipment, so research what you can get out of it. The lat pull down will move you towards pull-ups.

Cheers, h.

I can also recommend the NerdFitness routine - it’s a basic circuit of maybe six basic but important moves, no equipment needed (you want one thing to lift - I used a container of cat litter or laundry detergent). I did it three times a week for a month or so and then moved onto Fitness Blender bodyweight workouts (free on YouTube or their website), which use all those same basic moves but have a lot more variety. They have a lot of dumbbell workouts too, but I think starting off simple was a good way to go. You won’t get ripped doing these workouts in a deficit, but I absolutely have noticed increases in strength and balance in particular.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    I think people get overly focused on the math of it all...

20lbs, proper diet and exercise, I'd say 3 or 4 months if you get serious...

Eat lightly, eat smart, eat healthy, stay active and honestly who cares how long...

It's no wonder how 98% of people try to timetable this whole thing and 98% gain the weight back...

Make changes that you can stick with for life, or gain it back

The only reason I was looking to “timetable” this is because I want to have a realistic way to track my progress. That way, if I feel that I am not progressing, I can remind myself “yes, you are. The changes are just so small you’re not able to notice them like you did when you had all that weight to lose, but you ARE doing it right.” Many times I doubt if I am doing the exercises right or eating enough etc because I was never taught anything about this. I’ve already lost 23 lbs and kept it off for 5 years because I changed my lifestyle, so this isn’t really a matter of “I want results RIGHT NOW” I just need to know what milestones I can expect so I don’t get discouraged. If I get discouraged because I feel like what I’m doing isn’t making a difference I may quit and that is the battle I am trying to beat. Trying to prep my mental game and change the way I approach obstacles in my life - no quitting. I know that this is another life change, in more ways than one.

Awesome stuff :heart:
    Great attitude! Keep it up, never give up and with that attitude, you'll get there for sure!