Where is my Coon cheese?

I type Coon cheese which is an Australian made cheese into the food database search and nothing comes up with the Coon brand name. Coon cheese used to appear in the food database but not anymore, has MFP become politically correct?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Ha you're right, and I remember using it before too, weird huh! Just use another brand name cheese that has the same macros/calories.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Eh? It shows up in my food diary.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited January 2018
    misskarne wrote: »

If you logged it previously in your Food Diary, the Recent list query will pull that record from your Diary and display it for you to log it again - even if it can not be found in the public Food Database under the same name.

For the missing item in the public Food Database, if it was not "verified" by MFP, it may have been edited by another MFP user to change the name.
  • Christine_72

I searched for it and nothing came up in the database. We're Bega cheese eaters, haven't had coon for years.
  • gainwait
    gainwait Posts: 40 Member
    edited January 2018
    When I type Coon in the food database it gives me two types of chocolate coons (whatever they are) to choose from but when I type in Coon cheese it gives me all the other brands of cheese but Coon. Coon cheese is still available in my personal food diary but only in slices, I wanted the calories in Coon block cheese and that's when I searched on the main food database and could not find it anymore.
  • Christine_72
    Coon is a very very odd branding choice to keep in 2018........

I know... That word is used the same way here as it is in the US.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    There's been a low-key move to rename it for over a decade, but it's never really gotten any traction.
  • Christine_72
    Here's how they came up with the name (taken from their site);

"The brand name recognises the work of an American, Edward William Coon, who patented a unique ripening process that was used to manufacture the original COON® Cheese".

It's a totally innocent name, it's just the ugly connotations some people connect with it.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I'm honestly shocked. Would definitely not still exist if it was ever a thing in the UK.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    I googled Coon Cheese. It's a type of cheddar cheese. So you can always check in other cheddar cheese and find one with similar fat content to use to aproximate to coon cheese.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Mmnmmm coon cheese. Love it.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Dafuq?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    I'm not googling what is, apparently, some kind of derogatory remark, but I've only heard coon used as a diminutive for raccoon. As in, Daniel Boone wore a coon skin cap.

It's up there with the N word.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    For the record, I didn't for one second think it was deliberately offensive because if you're going to use it in its full awful context then cheese wouldn't really be your first thought but still.......
  • gainwait
    gainwait Posts: 40 Member
    I'm honestly shocked. Would definitely not still exist if it was ever a thing in the UK.
    I haven't heard that word used for anything else but cheese here in Australia.