To Paleo or not to Paleo

Options
Thinking about a no carb diet. Can't seem to loose weight now that I'm 53. I got the stomach flu in early Dec which left my digestive track messed up. I've been taking a pro-biotic and eating Greek Yogurt daily and power walking on the treadmill regularly. Unfortunately I can't even drop a pound. I did the Atkins Diet 17 years ago and lost 15lbs easily. I just hit my target and really got sick of all the fatty meats.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale? Have you had blood work done recently?
  • aquamarinex
    aquamarinex Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would second a lot of this that the calorie deficit matters BUT I am finding that keeping my carbs under 100g per day which is about a third of what I used to eat is resulting in faster weight loss perhaps because by eating more protein I don't feel hungry. In the past feeling hungry used to result in falling off the wagon a lot and now I am proud of myself for sticking to it. Still got 16lbs to go mind you!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I too think it may be best if you just start with measuring, weighing, and logging your food. Start as you mean to go on. If you believe in a paleo diet then eat those foods now and in the future. If you go with Atkins, consider it a long term commitment because most will regain weight if they stop and go back to eating as they were.... Technically true of any diet.

I consider many ideas of paleo healthier than what some eat, but you don't need it for weight loss.

I have eaten low carb for years because it improves my health and makes it easier for me to control my weight. When I raise carbs my health worsens, my calories go up and I gain. For me it is a long term way of eating. Start as you mean to go on. KWIM?

BTW, there are zero carb diets but those are 100% animal products. No flours, sugars, grains, veggies or fruit. A low carb diet usually just excludes the sugars and grains or very high carb items. Paleo can be zero to high carb depending on your food choices.

Some people restrict calories in one macro (carbs) and others restrict calories in a few macros, but all diets for weight loss restrict food somewhere. ;)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Ann's linked post says exactly what I would too, it's some of the best advice I've seen.

Re paleo, it's NOT no carb, in fact to do it right I think you should eat lots of veg, and it permits fruit and tubers too. I think it can be an okay way to eat, but I don't see the point as I think legumes are extremely healthy and whole grains and dairy can be too.

Eating mostly from whole foods can be an easy and healthy way to go for a lot of us (depends on you), but there's nothing unique to paleo about that.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Consider trying this first:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm

(Yeah it's tacky to link my own post, but it's exactly the advice I'd give OP, I'm too lazy to retype, and it worked great for me, to lose 50+ pounds in less than a year at age 59. :) )

And that is why the Ann Plan (tm)needs a sticky- it is the perfect basic info post.

@kruskampj, do read the post @AnnPT77 posted. It is relavent.

I lost during menopause at 54 eating what I had always ate, just less.

Paleo may be a way to lose weight, but think of how you are going to maintain.
    Do you really want to eat that way for the next 30 years?
    If you can't see that happening, eat in a way that will carry forward.

If you are menopausal, hormone fluctuations can make you hungry at times, just like TOM. You may find being kind to yourself and eating at maintenance during those times beneficial.

Cheers, h.
  • ADoribs
    ADoribs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have done calorie tracking for the majority of my life and it has not helped me consistently keep weight off. I recently read a text that said while many people are “moderators” some are actually abstainers. My whole life moderation failed me so I thought I’d give abstaining a try. I quit sugar and processed carbohydrates ( pasta, bread, flour). It’s meant I’ve had to increase my veggie and protein intake and learn a lot of new recipes, but for the first time I’m losing weight without tracking calories and without feeling hungry. It’s really worked for me. If you’ve done and failed calorie counting I’d say it’s worth a try for you too if you have the time to learn some new things.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    ADoribs wrote: »
    I have done calorie tracking for the majority of my life and it has not helped me consistently keep weight off. I recently read a text that said while many people are “moderators” some are actually abstainers. My whole life moderation failed me so I thought I’d give abstaining a try. I quit sugar and processed carbohydrates ( pasta, bread, flour). It’s meant I’ve had to increase my veggie and protein intake and learn a lot of new recipes, but for the first time I’m losing weight without tracking calories and without feeling hungry. It’s really worked for me. If you’ve done and failed calorie counting I’d say it’s worth a try for you too if you have the time to learn some new things.
    sugar and processed carbohydrates ( pasta, bread, flour) sounds like it's taken from Bright Line Eating. Are you absolutely sure that normal food is a problem for you, that it's not treat foods (cookies, cakes, ice cream, chips, candy, chocolate, soda) that are hard to moderate?