Green tea diet

Options
12346»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My wife has Fibromyalgia and went from nearly bed ridden to 95% better in 3 years. I bring this up because we went from plenty of meat and potatoes to more of a WFPB diet. We still eat poultry once a week and seafood once a week and occasionally organic eggs. We also don't do dairy or gluten. We've learned a lot about being Vegan, though we are not. In many ways, it's just as tough because we don't do the gluten (a staple of a lot of vegans). Green Beans are an amazing source of Silica. Silica is incredibly important for hair/nails. Green Beans are the most digestible source, even frozen ones.

Like Emmy mentioned, you do also want to take a really good quality B Complex (we prefer Methyl Bs, like the methylcobalamin she mentioned). Another good source of silica is cucumbers and bananas but it's not as readily absorbed as it is in green beans. We also make sure we take a good Vegan Omega. Very important. Zinc is also (like Emmy mentioned too) very important if you're not going to eat eggs. Chlorella/Spirulina is a good source of B-12 that is vegan. Spinach/Kale, leafy greens are great sources of Folate. Still think it's best to take a full spectrum methyl B complex.

I think protein's a bit overrated by some (I'm a regionally competitive masters athlete in rowing). I train very, very hard (around 10 plus hours a week) and I don't supplement all that much with Vegan protein. If you eat plenty of lentils, beans, greens, quinoa and broccoli, you get quite a bit of protein from plants. We also eat quite a bit of nuts. I use some Sunwarrior as well around 2 or 3 times a week. We're not anti fat either. We eat nut fats, some limited fish oils and Coconut Oil and Olive Oil. I'm 190 lbs and less than 20% BF (and I'm only 5'10", so I'm not tall). I have no problem keeping on muscle.

My wife's hair and nails have never been stronger. Same with mine. I honestly think I have less gray hair now and I'm 53. My wife (pictured with me) is 57. She's nearly always guessed at in her mid 40s. People can't believe we have 3 grandkids as old as they are. She's dropped 30 lbs since losing dairy/gluten (without calorie counting) because that essentially eliminates most all processed food and restaurant junk food.

There are really crappy nutritional Vegans and there are better ways to do it. You do have to meal plan exceptionally well and supplement in my opinion. Being Vegan has to be very carefully planned and not done spur of the moment to be successful at it in the long-term. I know I'm kind of 'vegan light', but same philosophies apply. If someone doesn't cook/meal plan, Vegan is probably not a great idea.

The research states otherwise. Protein is one of the most valuable things during weight loss. Not only does it support muscle retention, metabolism and immune health, it is also the most energetic of the macronutrients. And ironically, when equating for calories, no diet produces faster or more sustained weight loss than a high protein diet.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My wife has Fibromyalgia and went from nearly bed ridden to 95% better in 3 years. I bring this up because we went from plenty of meat and potatoes to more of a WFPB diet. We still eat poultry once a week and seafood once a week and occasionally organic eggs. We also don't do dairy or gluten. We've learned a lot about being Vegan, though we are not. In many ways, it's just as tough because we don't do the gluten (a staple of a lot of vegans). Green Beans are an amazing source of Silica. Silica is incredibly important for hair/nails. Green Beans are the most digestible source, even frozen ones.

Like Emmy mentioned, you do also want to take a really good quality B Complex (we prefer Methyl Bs, like the methylcobalamin she mentioned). Another good source of silica is cucumbers and bananas but it's not as readily absorbed as it is in green beans. We also make sure we take a good Vegan Omega. Very important. Zinc is also (like Emmy mentioned too) very important if you're not going to eat eggs. Chlorella/Spirulina is a good source of B-12 that is vegan. Spinach/Kale, leafy greens are great sources of Folate. Still think it's best to take a full spectrum methyl B complex.

I think protein's a bit overrated by some (I'm a regionally competitive masters athlete in rowing). I train very, very hard (around 10 plus hours a week) and I don't supplement all that much with Vegan protein. If you eat plenty of lentils, beans, greens, quinoa and broccoli, you get quite a bit of protein from plants. We also eat quite a bit of nuts. I use some Sunwarrior as well around 2 or 3 times a week. We're not anti fat either. We eat nut fats, some limited fish oils and Coconut Oil and Olive Oil. I'm 190 lbs and less than 20% BF (and I'm only 5'10", so I'm not tall). I have no problem keeping on muscle.

My wife's hair and nails have never been stronger. Same with mine. I honestly think I have less gray hair now and I'm 53. My wife (pictured with me) is 57. She's nearly always guessed at in her mid 40s. People can't believe we have 3 grandkids as old as they are. She's dropped 30 lbs since losing dairy/gluten (without calorie counting) because that essentially eliminates most all processed food and restaurant junk food.

There are really crappy nutritional Vegans and there are better ways to do it. You do have to meal plan exceptionally well and supplement in my opinion. Being Vegan has to be very carefully planned and not done spur of the moment to be successful at it in the long-term. I know I'm kind of 'vegan light', but same philosophies apply. If someone doesn't cook/meal plan, Vegan is probably not a great idea.

Chlorella/spirulina is not a reliable source of B12 for vegans. The research is far from clear that the detected B12 is available to us -- some of it may be B12 analogs which can actually *block* the B12 our bodies can use. I would not recommend it to vegans as a B12 source.

http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/plant#chlorella
  • FaithGonzalesss
    FaithGonzalesss Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Well i did some research. Green tea is supposed to be a diuretic. Im assuming thats why its supposed to help with (water) weight loss. I personally now think its not the greatest theory for losing weight. I actually think it’s ridiculous. To everyone saying its stupid, your right. Im back to my normal healthy/nutritional meals and foods. Thank you guys for being wise and insightful.
  • monicapiazza
    monicapiazza Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy the taste then drink it to drink it. It may have some health benefits but it won't make you drop weight.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Watermelon has lots of water and surprisingly few calories. That might account for some of it.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    It does nothing for weight loss. Now, I find that it helps me if I'm feeling hungry between meals to sip on some green tea, but I don't think it helps me lose weight. It's just helping me not put chips in my mouth.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Ive read about how good it is to drink 3-4 cups of green tea a day for weight loss.

Has nothing to do with green tea and everything to do with increased water intake. Drink more water and you will increase resting energy burn by up to 25% and it promotes less eating while you'll feel full longer. It isn't going to drop pounds, but does help promote and support weight loss over time.