Such little progress...

bbell1985
bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member

I have been training my butt off for years. I've gotten lean, I've bulked and cut, I've maintained and recomped (maybe?), gained accidentally while training very hard...and in the end, sitting somewhere in the middle of my highest and lowest weight...I barely look any different.

I have had a coach. My training is progressive, and difficult and anal.

I barely look different from the first time I was this weight, even considering how hard I have trained over the years.

And to top it off, I'm really not that strong.

It's been 3.5 years since I've started all this. Will another year make a difference? Are my goals of strength and physique too conflicting? Or am I just genetically predisposed to a crap body that can only maintain it's weight on 1800 calories?

When I first made this thread it was called "so many years...so little progress". Maybe I'm just comparing myself to people who really HAVE been training so many years. Maybe it's just that I started so late and 3.5 years is nothing compared to 10...

Sorry guys. I'm so frustrated tonight.

Replies

• Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    First if that’s you in profile you are hot. It’s easy to see you train and put most people out there to shame.

What have your goals been? Are they all body image ones? Those aren’t bad but hard to judge ourselves. Maybe look at some goals that are quantifiable by a log. I strength train and I can easily see progression every week. Hitting anew PR always is an advancement. I couldn’t tell body differences until others comment on it.

Will another year help? Maybe, maybe not. I can promise you if you don’t lift you won’t look as good down the road.
  • bbell1985
    Okiludy wrote: »
    First if that’s you in profile you are hot. It’s easy to see you train and put most people out there to shame.

What have your goals been? Are they all body image ones? Those aren’t bad but hard to judge ourselves. Maybe look at some goals that are quantifiable by a log. I strength train and I can easily see progression every week. Hitting anew PR always is an advancement. I couldn’t tell body differences until others comment on it.

Will another year help? Maybe, maybe not. I can promise you if you don’t lift you won’t look as good down the road.

Good lighting and angle.

My goals are sometimes training for powerlifting. Once a year I tend to want to lean out. Trust me...every workout for 3.5 years have been logged. My training is in an excel sheet and laid out in 9 week blocks. I don't see progression every week as I am not beginner enough to work in a linear fashion.

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Have you ever looked at The Hybrid Performance Method plans? I've been tempted, but haven't wanted to pay. But it really sounds like right up your alley. Strength of a powerlifter with the physique of a bodybuilder.

https://www.hybridperformancemethod.com/
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    I am not sure what your goals are, but I looked at all your pics and you even looked good in the pic dated 2014. you have definitely made a lot of progress since then.

The only thing I think is you are your own worst enemy and expect a lot. I wish I had the same comparable body as you do for a man. I would be ripped, instead I am this pudgy guy who still needs to lose 40lbs.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    I think your body looks incredible. You look pretty much like my goal. But I understand where you're coming from. I've been lifting for 5 years now. I definitely look different than when I started, but I feel like I dont look like I lift. Friends I haven't seen in awhile always comment on my muscles, so I guess they're there, but it's hard to see it in ourselves. You look amazing.
  • bbell1985
    Have you ever looked at The Hybrid Performance Method plans? I've been tempted, but haven't wanted to pay. But it really sounds like right up your alley. Strength of a powerlifter with the physique of a bodybuilder.

https://www.hybridperformancemethod.com/

I opened the page last night but fell asleep. I wrote the post while very cranky at 2 am.Will look!
  • bbell1985
    sardelsa wrote: »
    You know I think you look great, but I also know we are our own toughest critics and nothing others say can snap us out of that sometimes.

What is it exactly you are unhappy about physique wise? How do you want to look different.. specifically? Are you not satisfied with the amount of muscle you have? The definition you can see? Is it any area in particular? Who are you comparing yourself to? Do these people make their living in the fitness industry?

Also keep in mind, when you are already at certain level, changes can be smaller and harder to detect. You won't transform like you did in the beginning.. and if you have very specific goals.. you have to focus on them. For example if you wanted to look more like a bikini or figure competitor, you have to train like one and put your focus on that. It could be years and years of deliberate muscle building, sometimes at the expense of strength/powerlifting goals I would imagine.

In my case, my physique goals have definitely come at the expense of my strength. And I am ok with that for the most part because that is the path I chose.

If you want to stick to both bodybuilding and powerlifting goals at the same time.. that is perfectly fine. But just realize you may have to adjust your expectations.

I know this is true. I guess in the beginning while fat was coming off, I didn't have to consider it as much. I just lifted and ate less and seemed to look better and better.

What am I unhappy about? I guess the fact that I cannot for some reason be 130-135 lbs. That's when I look lean and good. I'm 5'4". That's still not even that small for my height and here I am, pretty well versed on nutrition and fitness, and I CANNOT DO IT. I am always fluffing up to 145-150.

I also want to eat more. Sometimes I feel like I'm broken.
  • bbell1985
    bioklutz wrote: »
    Hopefully this doesn't sound creepy...

You (and a couple of other women on MFP) are one of the reasons I started lifting weights. I saw your profile picture change over the last few years and I was really wowed and envious. Do not belittle yourself and just call it angle and lighting. We all have moments when we feel less than great about ourselves. Do not let these moments overshadow your achievements. You are f'ing awesome!

Really? That makes me smile. Or at least it will tomorrow when I'm feeling less pissed off.

I'm really glad you found lifting. Do you love it?
  • bbell1985
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    So many things we want come at a price and many scarifies. For example, I'll be 50 this year, been lifting for about 4 years. Getting leaner for me would be great, but comes at a price hormonally and this affects my health to a great degree. Not worth it to me.

Also I don't power lift or do these super duper heavy weights, my bench press would make you laugh right out of your chair. I've improved and that's okay with me. This is not to say I don't feel weak compared to those that post all those huge amounts of weights they are lifting everyday because I do.

As far as looking different, I make small improvements each year. I bulk each year so I can eat more. Go ahead and laugh, but its true. I eat crap calories to maintain and I hate that so much, you and I are similar in height. Hearing and seeing these women that are eating 2000-2250-2500+ calories to maintain makes me feel ill. lol

I think I already exercise way more than the average person does and increasing that more will only have me tearing my body down and most likely working myself into over use injuries, etc.. So I kind of go the safe route but push my limits on a smaller scale. I have to train smarter not harder.

All this said, being happy with our progress and what we look like never comes from comparing ourselves to others, actually it has the opposite effect in how we should be feeling about ourselves. Its so hard not to, we are human after all, its taken me years to get to the confidence level I am at today, someone asked not too long ago 'who is your body goal twin'? I don't have one, I/we have our own uniqueness and genetics, not much we can do about that.

You never have conflicting goals, you just need to prioritize and set in the motion the best laid plan to achieve them. I have seen you progress over the years as well as other ladies here and so please don't ever think you you don't inspire other women. Just look at your profile pic, do you know how many women would love to look like you? Always keep this in mind and hopefully getting this off your chest (cause it does me) and seeing others replies lifts your spirits up, and yes another year will matter just set expectations within reach, set your own personal records, becoming more mentally and emotionally strong is just as important as strength goals are. I've seen this so many times "progress not perfection'.

But you could write a book. You are wise and rational. I am not.

You did bring something up here that I do want to address. I definitely don't have a "twin" or a body goal set by a fitness model I follow or something. I do like ME. I just want it to be better and better.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    I've been following your progress for about three years and I've seen a lot of changes in your progress pics. You have always been very hard on yourself but your friendw definitely see it differently. Believe us when we tell you how much improvements we see. You inspire a lot of people and just keep going. It's a mind game right now but you are doing amazing.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »

You (and a couple of other women on MFP) are one of the reasons I started lifting weights. I saw your profile picture change over the last few years and I was really wowed and envious. Do not belittle yourself and just call it angle and lighting. We all have moments when we feel less than great about ourselves. Do not let these moments overshadow your achievements. You are f'ing awesome!

Really? That makes me smile. Or at least it will tomorrow when I'm feeling less pissed off.

I probably started about 3 years ago - but I really took my time getting going! The first 6 months I was really working more on balance/stability/technique more than strength. I did want to get a little more serious about it after seeing some of the awesome ladies on this site. It might not seem like a big deal to you but you went to a competition where you moved a lot of weight. That is very inspiring! Seriously - that is some super hero *kitten*.

At the moment I love deadlifts and glute bridges. I get really excited about adding weight to overhead press and bench press. I do not love squats - I do them but grumble about it.
  • bbell1985

I probably started about 3 years ago - but I really took my time getting going! The first 6 months I was really working more on balance/stability/technique more than strength. I did want to get a little more serious about it after seeing some of the awesome ladies on this site. It might not seem like a big deal to you but you went to a competition where you moved a lot of weight. That is very inspiring! Seriously - that is some super hero *kitten*.

At the moment I love deadlifts and glute bridges. I get really excited about adding weight to overhead press and bench press. I do not love squats - I do them but grumble about it.

I don't think I moved big weight. That's the thing. I barely have a 225 squat. I hit 240 in the gym ONCE.

I need to get back into overhead press. Man that is a slow one.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member

I don't think I moved big weight. That's the thing. I barely have a 225 squat. I hit 240 in the gym ONCE.

I need to get back into overhead press. Man that is a slow one.

That is pretty freaking heavy. I don't think I will ever get to the point where I can say I only squat 225! :)