Where is my Coon cheese?

Options
13»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    zorbaru wrote: »
    i have heard it used in that way but how would you feel if you worked on something and was recognised for it by having it banged after you then one day someone says "I'm sorry your name has another meaning that some people use offensively so we aren't going to use it any more"

many words have multiple meaning. people aren't stupid. they know the difference between being insulted and someone looking for cheese.

political correctness is not a good thing when it goes so overboard. should all the people that have that name go down to births deaths and marriages to have it changed?

Honestly? If it were my name and my brand, I'd be totally cool with it being changed.

My high school maths teacher, Mike Hunt, never felt the need to change his name. (yup, I'm serious, lol)

Haha I thought that name was an urban myth :lol:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    zorbaru wrote: »
    i have heard it used in that way but how would you feel if you worked on something and was recognised for it by having it banged after you then one day someone says "I'm sorry your name has another meaning that some people use offensively so we aren't going to use it any more"

many words have multiple meaning. people aren't stupid. they know the difference between being insulted and someone looking for cheese.

political correctness is not a good thing when it goes so overboard. should all the people that have that name go down to births deaths and marriages to have it changed?

Honestly? If it were my name and my brand, I'd be totally cool with it being changed.

My high school maths teacher, Mike Hunt, never felt the need to change his name. (yup, I'm serious, lol)

Haha I thought that name was an urban myth :lol:

Nope, Heathfield High School 1993 ;)
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Coon is a very very odd branding choice to keep in 2018........

I know... That word is used the same way here as it is in the US.

I can't say that I have ever heard anyone being called it or it being used to refer to anyone.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

Actually, no it isn't. I've never in 50 years heard any Australians use that word as a derogatory term for a person.

We might be aware of the US usage, but it's not in our vernacular.

• SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    gainwait wrote: »
    I'm honestly shocked. Would definitely not still exist if it was ever a thing in the UK.
    I haven't heard that word used for anything else but cheese here in Australia.

I have spent a fair bit of time in the far north of Australia and it is a common racial slur up there amongst those inclined to not behave like decent human beings.

I really like the cheese but I don't expect people to "just get over it" like suggested by another poster, if you heard it used like I have towards people I can understand why those on the receiving end feel like they do.

To the OP, you might have to make your own entry from the packet and just not share it with the database?

Yeah I just used Bega cheese instead. I did try and add the Coon cheese back into the main database and it accepted it but I looked it up a minute later and I could not find it. No big deal but I thought it was a bit odd that only a few months ago it showed up but not now. I live in Sydney so I have not heard that word said in any other form around me.

I would add it back on principal as CoonBrand with no space or some such so it does not get removed automatically, this seems the only reasonable explanation as to why it disappears in one minute. Plus it should be very clear to anyone reasonable that its not the offensive meaning.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Actually, no it isn't. I've never in 50 years heard any Australians use that word as a derogatory term for a person.

Might depend where you live.. Go up North and it's commonly used. I'm in Adelaide and have heard it used many times since i was a kid.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

I grew up in Adelaide and it was very common when I was a teen. It's certainly not unheard of here in
    Melbourne now, either.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I must be lucky and only associate with nice people. :smiley:
  • gainwait
    gainwait Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly shocked. Would definitely not still exist if it was ever a thing in the UK.
    I haven't heard that word used for anything else but cheese here in Australia.

I have spent a fair bit of time in the far north of Australia and it is a common racial slur up there amongst those inclined to not behave like decent human beings.

I really like the cheese but I don't expect people to "just get over it" like suggested by another poster, if you heard it used like I have towards people I can understand why those on the receiving end feel like they do.

To the OP, you might have to make your own entry from the packet and just not share it with the database?

Yeah I just used Bega cheese instead. I did try and add the Coon cheese back into the main database and it accepted it but I looked it up a minute later and I could not find it. No big deal but I thought it was a bit odd that only a few months ago it showed up but not now. I live in Sydney so I have not heard that word said in any other form around me.

I would add it back on principal as CoonBrand with no space or some such so it does not get removed automatically, this seems the only reasonable explanation as to why it disappears in one minute. Plus it should be very clear to anyone reasonable that its not the offensive meaning.

Tried your Coonbrand suggestion and it worked. I even added Cooncheese to the database and that also worked. May not have to worry about it in the future if they are trying to change the brand name. I knew the name came from Edward Coon and never really associated it with anything else. You learn something new everyday.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I would sincerely hope it's not in common usage, that doesn't negate its prolific use in the past. I've never heard anyone use the N word either (though have certainly heard other racial slurs) but if someone was unfortunate enough to have that as their name and they used it for branding then it makes sense to just quietly change it? Words don't suddenly lose meaning when they're not in common usage. And that's just a general comment really.

It's funny this post popped up this week though, has been a week of picking apart language and its racist implications this week (good and bad, more just discussion around what is and isn't inappropriate and where we are possibly getting ourselves tied up in too many knots with some things). Anyway, I personally can't shake the negative connotation and I am aware of other definitions but to me, the locations of where those alternatives are kind of speaks to its negative use too.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Self-censored.