Weight loss FINALLY

A little backstory, I was on Risperdal for my Bipolar I Disorder and irritability and anger while manic. I've been taking Risperdal since 2010? Maybe even before that. As the years passed, more things came up. I didn't really think it was any one thing.

Fast forward to 2012. I joined MFP and counted religiously. I lost 10lbs between January and February then stalled. I added exercise. Nothing. I lowered my calories. Nothing. I weighed, measured, did everything I was supposed to. Nothing. I gave up hope but continued to count.

I hit a streak of 700 days, not missing a single meal of counting. Nothing to show for it. No weight loss. In fact, I put back on that 10lbs I lost. I exercised. I counted. No such luck.

Every time I went to the psychiatrist he would ask, "how's your mania? how's your mood swings? how is your irritability?" I told him, "I'm ALWAYS angry and yelling and screaming and flying off the handle." So we increased Risperdal. I calmed down but I was still so angry. We increased it again, and I got really bad restless syndrome where I felt like my skin was crawling and I couldn't sit still - guess what - still angry. We lowered the med to 2mg and kept it at that.

Skip forward to 2014. I said enough is enough. I went in and got a FULL panel of blood. I went to see a dietitian. She said I was doing everything I was supposed to be doing. I was very knowledgeable about what to do to lose the weight... maybe the blood work would show something underlying. Blood work came back normal. No diabetes. No thyroid issues. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I stopped counting for a little while, then would come back to it and do it again for a few more months. During the years of 2014-2017, I did so much little stuff to try to kick-start something. Cut out all soda. No seconds at dinner. Include exercise. Lower my portions. Eat way fewer carbs. More protein. More vegetables.

By November 2017, I was at my heaviest weight. I gained over 30lbs in the prior year. With counting on/off, doing things that for a lot of people would make them lose at least something!

I overheard someone talking about their testosterone being high. They were always tired. Gaining unknown weight. I said, whatever, why not go for it and test it out. I went to the doctor and tested it. My doctor said, "Well since we're doing testosterone, why not do a full hormone panel." A few days later, my results were in. My testosterone was normal. My vitamin D was ridiculously low. My estradiol was at 18. LOW. She sent me to an endocrinologist. They tested my prolactin. 56.6 (normal range is 2-29) VERY high. The doctors explained, "you do not have a cycle. You're in menopause" I'm 31! Now, I had an IUD for 8 years. No periods. Then I had my tubes tied and the procedure called Novasure so again, no periods. I had no clue. They told me, "You take Risperdal. That's your culprit. Get off it immediately!"

December 14th, I spoke to my psychiatrist. I explained to him what was going on and he agreed to take me off it. No weaning involved just stopped it immediately.

I did nothing different. However, a few weeks after stop taking Risperdal, I noticed my anxiety was significantly lowered. I wasn't blowing up or angry anymore. My anger med... MADE ME ANGRY. *rolls eyes* My appetite was significantly less too.

I really struggled to eat the first few weeks. I didn't really worry about it and figured I'd eat when I was hungry.

January first, I started counting calories one more time. I decided to weigh myself the first week of the January. I was down 8.4lbs. As the month continued, the weight came off without doing anything. I was eating way less, but I was eating when I was hungry. I would eat until I'm satisfied and be done.

As of today, January 29th, 2018; a little over a month since stopping Risperdal. I have lost 19.6lbs! It is FINALLY happening!

I plan on getting on a good habit of eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner when I begin my new job. Adding some exercise each week to keep it going. I am just SO happy that number is FINALLY moving down instead of up.

I just wanted to celebrate my little win with you all.

Replies

• 25agirard
    25agirard Posts: 51 Member
    I am so happy for you!! That is wonderful that you have figured it out!
  • times60
    times60 Posts: 204 Member
    That is awesome. Congratulations. I am very happy for you. You being persistent helped you. WTG. Keep up the great work.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    That’s wonderful! So happy for you:)
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Iwantahealthierme30 Posts: 293 Member
    So glad I didn't try Risperdal after reading this. It was one of my choices to try after my meds stopped working, I already had high prolactin too, not that high but still.

Congratulations on your loss, hope it continues!
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    So nice to put the puzzle pieces together! Good for you!
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    It made me angry FOR you reading this. Thankfully you were strong and advocated for yourself but man, this should not have happened to you. Congrats on the loss!!!
  • Archcurl
    Archcurl Posts: 239 Member
    Congrats! Some medications really do mess with you... even when they’re needed. I gained about 20 kilos in a year from one. Glad I’m now on another an finally able to lose weight. I’m so happy for you after struggling for this long you finally see some results!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    doctors and their meds.. you suffered all that time.. now that makes me legit angry. so..glad you worked it out. Cheers to you and to a new healthy happy path in life.
  • renovagirl
    renovagirl Posts: 85 Member
    This is awesome! I love your perseverance. I love your determination. And most importantly, I love that you advocated for yourself. So many lessons in your story. Congratulations on your weight loss and for getting your life back.
  • L010
    L010 Posts: 139 Member
    Wonder why your doctor didn't do Vitamin D test long time ago. Don't they include that as part of regular blood work.
    Congratulations on your loss and getting life back to normal.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    I usually hate reading long entries but yours had me wanting to see if the mystery was solved!
    You were your best advocate and now you can get and got things going!
    Yeah for you :)
  • YadaYadaYada64
    YadaYadaYada64 Posts: 50 Member
    Your constant agitation sounded even harder to live with than extra weight. Big congrats on figuring it out! It’s so much easier to eat healthfully when you feel good. Great start on the scale, too!
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,358 Member
    You put so much effort into this. Sounds beyond frustrating. Kudos on resolving it and seeing a successful change!!
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    You are a testament to never giving up! Thanks for posting and sharing and congratulations!!!
  • nebuczek03
    nebuczek03 Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you all for the wonderful support. It means a lot to have people give me so much love and to see the struggle. ((hugs))
  • Jaxswan64
    Jaxswan64 Posts: 21 Member
    Happy for you that you were able to figure out how those meds were working against you. Keep up the good work;)
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Wow that is a long and winding road you were on. Must have been very discouraging too- but you kept trying different things. Who knew it could be hormones out of whack and then your "anger med" making it worse! So glad you found what the problem was!
  • Supern0va81
    Supern0va81 Posts: 168 Member
    This is wonderful news and really positive attitude without meds. Really proud of you too for investigating your hormone levels. They play such a massive part in physical appearance and mental welfare xx
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Great job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!