Abs

Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    3-10 minutes daily of light to moderate isolation work is plenty.

Any more duration or intensity will probably lead to compromising your movement. since Core is used in everything.

Plus ab cramps really suck.

INDEED!!!

Can't get out of bed, can't tie your shoes. It's worse than a lower back spasm.

And stretching backwards can lead to those lol.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

Any more duration or intensity will probably lead to compromising your movement. since Core is used in everything.

Noob question! Aren't you supposed to leave 48 hours between working out the same muscle group? Does this not apply if you only do 3-10 minutes?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Noob question! Aren't you supposed to leave 48 hours between working out the same muscle group? Does this not apply if you only do 3-10 minutes?

Abs are one of those things that respond/handle frequent training pretty well. Unless you're crippled from soreness- if you wanted to do ab work back to back days on end you *could*... but I can think of more efficient uses of my time than doing abs back to back to back.

I do abs at this point 2 times a week? My abs are strong- but not efficient- so I'm actively training them to be better at their job. 2-3 times a week is fine- plus the daily activation in my regular life.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

If you're working at the limit of your capabilities. AKA lifting heavy, etc yes. If you're doing low-moderate intensity work no.

If you're doing 100 pushups/BW Squats/lunges a day in a circuit with 3 miles of running, once you acclimate you can do the program every day. You're not going to see A LOT of improvement, neither will you see any particular degradation.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

The answer is always: it depends. Generally, for lifting you will let the muscle recover 48-72hrs depending on the size of the muscle and the volume and intensity of work, but this isn't really necessary for everyone. It's mostly a hypertrophy thing. Olympic weight lifters will workout for 6+ hours everyday as will wrestlers etc. Endurance athletes also work much more frequently. Also, non-athletes that have heavy labour jobs will also work the same muscles every day and their bodies just adapt to the workload.

You can workout abs pretty much every day and you shouldn't have an issue.
  • stanmann571
    Options

The answer is always: it depends. Generally, for lifting you will let the muscle recover 48-72hrs depending on the size of the muscle and the volume and intensity of work, but this isn't really necessary for everyone. It's mostly a hypertrophy thing. Olympic weight lifters will workout for 6+ hours everyday as will wrestlers etc. Endurance athletes also work much more frequently. Also, non-athletes that have heavy labour jobs will also work the same muscles every day and their bodies just adapt to the workload.

Also, As above, you'll only work abs to the point of DOMS once.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options

Huh, interesting - thanks for the info all. I'm not lifting, just doing 30-60 minute bodyweight interval workouts mostly (right now I'm focused on weight-loss/general fitness/muscle maintenance rather than hypertrophy) but I am trying to do things right even at my level. I actually like the core/ab stuff I've done so far and wouldn't mind increasing the frequency some - I've found even a shorter workout gets my back and shoulders feeling better after a day at the computer.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Huh, interesting - thanks for the info all. I'm not lifting, just doing 30-60 minute bodyweight interval workouts mostly (right now I'm focused on weight-loss/general fitness/muscle maintenance rather than hypertrophy) but I am trying to do things right even at my level. I actually like the core/ab stuff I've done so far and wouldn't mind increasing the frequency some - I've found even a shorter workout gets my back and shoulders feeling better after a day at the computer.

If you work at a computer and have sore shoulders I highly recommend doing rowing and other should retraction work. It will help offset your natural anterior tilt that you get from working at a computer daily.
  • stanmann571
    edited January 2018
    Options

The nice thing with a good ab circuit at low-moderate intensity is it's something you can bang out as part of your morning routine while the coffee is brewing. A couple rounds of 30 second planks with 30 seconds rest can be done anywhere and at whatever intensity you desire and it's not going to leave you sweaty or particularly out of breath.

And if you must do a situp variation, I personally prefer V Up variations. with the most basic being floor to floor touches.... laying flat, bring your knees up(feet on the floor and with hands extended overhead, touch the floor above your head and between your toes 5-15 times. When that becomes to easy, raise your toes off the floor progressively until you're doing a full V up. a round should take 15-30 seconds with at least that much time between rounds... do 3 or 4 rounds... or just one, or alternate with plank pushups.

If you're interested in BW programming look at Gymnastic bodies or Overcoming gravity.

I'm not going to try to cover planche progressions here, but they're a lot of fun.... almost as much fun as handstand progressions and variations.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

The nice thing with a good ab circuit at low-moderate intensity is it's something you can bang out as part of your morning routine while the coffee is brewing. A couple rounds of 30 second planks with 30 seconds rest can be done anywhere and at whatever intensity you desire and it's not going to leave you sweaty or particularly out of breath.

And if you must do a situp variation, I personally prefer V Up variations. with the most basic being floor to floor touches.... laying flat, bring your knees up(feet on the floor and with hands extended overhead, touch the floor above your head and between your toes 5-15 times. When that becomes to easy, raise your toes off the floor progressively until you're doing a full V up. a round should take 15-30 seconds with at least that much time between rounds... do 3 or 4 rounds... or just one, or alternate with plank pushups.

If you're interested in BW programming look at Gymnastic bodies or Overcoming gravity.

I'm not going to try to cover planche progressions here, but they're a lot of fun.... almost as much fun as handstand progressions and variations.

Do you have anything I can do while I'm drinking the coffee? ;)
  • stanmann571
    Options

You could try frogstand/planch progressions if you're wiling to drink the coffee from a camelback. I wouldn't recommend a traditional straw though.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options

Also good to know. I've been doing mostly Fitness Blender workouts for the last couple of months - they include planks but no sit-ups. Lots of crunches though.
  • JoRocka
    Options

yes- sit in your chair on the edgeish- like 1/2 way off the chair? - pick up your knees with just your abs- don't brace with your hands.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2018
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

yes- sit in your chair on the edgeish- like 1/2 way off the chair? - pick up your knees with just your abs- don't brace with your hands.

LOL Perfect, and in a great position to kick annoying officer co-workers, don't you think, Jo? :grin:
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Yo @stanmann571 I'm interested to hear what you think of the hollow planks

Since this came up, and it looks like you are doing two workouts a day, how frequently do you workout the same muscle groups?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Since this came up, and it looks like you are doing two workouts a day, how frequently do you workout the same muscle groups?

Ehh... that's a question for a body builder. Crossfitters will do workouts where they use their whole body and not isolate one muscle group at a time.

My extra workouts are endurance based and I only do twice a day 3xper week.

Many of us do strengthening programs but usually that's before our wods and after our warmups.

Most boxes program that into the 1 hour workout. So you might have 20 min warm ups, 10 min strength and then the wod itself.

Thanks I actually was thinking it was the wrong question on my way to lunch. I take it you are competitive then?
  • stanmann571
    edited January 2018
    Options

Regrettably, I haven't really studied that as much as I should, They definitely have a place in a progression, but as a core core exercise I think they're unnecessary.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

LOL Perfect, and in a great position to kick annoying officer co-workers, don't you think, Jo? :grin:

They don't get that close to me generally speaking at this point. So yes- but only for the unsuspecting.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    <--- This picture and all others in my profile...no ab work. Just strict eating, smart cardio and heavy lifting with plenty of compound lifts.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    <--- This picture and all others in my profile...no ab work. Just strict eating, smart cardio and heavy lifting with plenty of compound lifts.

Imagine what they would look like if you actually did abs though ;)