Do naturally thin people actually think different?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Oh, after all that, I was never overweight in my childhood or most of my 20s, despite that, because my lifestyle prevented it.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited January 2018
    I guess they just eat when they’re hungry unlike most of us who have a love of food. My son is like that he doesn’t seem to care much about eating. He just eats when he’s hungry. But he can easily miss dinner and not really care. Does not compute.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Someone above mentioned another point - figgiting.

Even at my fattest, I was about 35 pounds over my "ideal" weight, despite the desk job, no working out, and not really caring what I ate (in all fairness though, I always liked vegetables and "healthy" foods, they weren't a bad thing to me).

But, I'm pretty sure my insistent need to figgit is probably why I didn't put on more weight. I can't sit still for any length of time. Just always been that way. There was one job where our work area had a camera over it, and reviewing video it became really obvious as my coworkers could just sit there and focus, and I'd be putzing with this, looking at that, swinging my chair slightly sideways, readjusting how I was sitting - and the whole time they were just sitting still with hardly a noticeable movement LOL.
  • change4char
    change4char Posts: 85 Member
    I think peoples answers will be different based on how they classify "naturally thin." When I hear this phrase I think of people who have high metabolisms. Two people could be the same height/sex/activity level and think about food the same. They may equally enjoy food and eat the same meals, but one could end up larger than the other.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Yes - naturally thin people don't tend to care about food as anything but nourishment. There's zero emotional attachment to it.

I'm not sure how you define "naturally thin," but I know plenty of people in the normal weight range who don't seem to employ any specific strategies to manage their weight and they still have favorite foods, things they prefer to eat, and foods that bring up emotional reactions or memories for them, etc.

Obviously we can never get inside someone else's head, but I don't think it's accurate to say that these people don't care about food as anything but nourishment.

I agree with this. I was thin for most of my adult life and got called 'naturally thin' a lot. But I wasn't. I loved food as much then as now. I chose not to overeat. It was sometimes a struggle but I wanted to be thin. Just like now.

I do know what I consider to be naturally thin people. Those people who don't think about food except when hungry. That stop eating when full. That just naturally don't overeat. That was never me, even when I was thin.

I think it's true for some thin people, sure. But I think there are also "naturally thin" people who do think about food as something other than nourishment, whether it's having favorite foods, disliking certain foods, or having emotional attachments to certain types of foods.

My husband, for example, has never been overweight and doesn't employ any specific weight control strategies (unless he's been actively misleading me for fifteen years, which is always possible, I suppose). But he loves chocolate and has some every single day. He is very particular about his coffee and the type of milk that goes into it. He gets visibly excited about certain meals. His thoughts about food as easily as emotional and attached as mine, the difference is that he is "naturally" satisfied with much smaller portions than would satisfy me.

I think people can exist all across this spectrum, that's all I'm saying.

I agree with all that. People are so different from one another.
  • Terebynthia
    Terebynthia Posts: 75 Member
    Relevant to this topic I think - it's a good watch http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-truth-about-slim-people - also available on YouTube for non UK folk IIRC.