Do naturally thin people actually think different?

Options

Replies

• vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My eldest daughter struggles to maintain her weight and eats a healthy diet with the occasional treat. My youngest daughter has hollow legs and is perpetually hungry. She eats three good meals a day and fills up in between with crisps, sweets, croissants, pain au chocolat.....in fact anything she can lay her hands on apart from fruit and yoghurts.
  • ama3387
    ama3387 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My husband is very lean. However he eats more than I’ve ever seen anyone eat. 1st lunch and 2nd lunch and 1st dinner tend to be his biggest meals. But he also works construction.
  • aniracace
    aniracace Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Which one are you and what do you think about food?

I'm naturally .... average. Neither thin nor fat. I have what you would call an 'athletic build.' Not much in the way of body fat and enough muscle definition for others to notice. I would just like to slim down a couple of pounds, that's all.

As for what I think of food, there's nothing special about it. If I want something, I'll eat it. But I don't feel the need to finish everything just because it's there. My view of food is nothing special; it's quite average, I would say. When I'm hungry I eat. When I'm full I stop. Surely that can't be too radical?

The only reason why I'm here is because the only thing I really know about weight loss is that you eat less and move more. But the move more part is optional (or something like that). So to make sure I'm eating less, I track.
  • aniracace
    Options
    There is no such thing as "naturally thin".

Why do you say this? Not being rude, genuinely curious.
  • aniracace
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    That assumes that all "overweight" people think about food in the same way, which I think we would all agree isn't true. Everyone is an individual, and everyone has their own thoughts, issues and approaches they need to work through. Some people may have preferences or habits that make it easier for them to maintain their weight, and you can learn to use those habits to your advantage. Other people put in a lot of work to maintain theirs, and it's a little unfair not to give them credit for their hard work.

That makes sense. Didn't mean to belittle anyone; I just saw the term on a few other friends so I was curious as to what the general mfp population thought.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    oat_bran wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    All the "naturally thin" people I know (my husband and all my in-laws) genuinely don't want food if they're not hungry. That's the main difference I notice.

They also get antsy when they have eaten a lot, and want to get up and go for a long walk or something. It's not necessarily the same day, might be the following day, but it happens. They also eat less on following days.

It's not a difference in how they and I *think*. They barely think about it at all. It's a difference in feelings and reactions.

Intuitive eating like that just blows my mind. I know a lot of people like this. The concept of body and mind being so in tune and autoregulating the calorie intake and expendurw without much concious awareness of the process! That's how our bodies are supposed to.work idea. But I don't think i'll ever be alble to learn this. I've had disordered eating since I was 10 and later a full blown ED. My hunger cues are forever messed up. Still I often dream that some day I'll ve able to mentain not trough logging, not even through habit but intuitively.

I don't actually think that's how our bodies are supposed to work or that not being able to do that makes you messed up.

For most of human history access to food was insecure and it was beneficial to be able to/want to eat when it was available, even if that meant putting on some weight, and to be able to go without for a while too. Thus, it seems totally normal and even beneficial to want to eat based on cues like food being available and nearby, even if you just ate, and to find food desirable when it has qualities consistent with it being high cal (high in fat and sugar), and for variety to mean that you eat more (during most of human history wanting a variety would have meant getting a variety of nutrients, and good for you, not wanting to eat pie after having a huge steak).

Thus, it's really not surprising to me that a majority of people seem to easily become overweight or obese in the current environment (more, really), and only a small minority seem not to have to work at staying slim to avoid obesity. I don't think that's because all of us who find it easy to overeat have messed up hunger signals (vs. just responding to cues in a normal human way).

I think emotional eating can be messed up signals, but wanting to eat easily more than you actually need is probably just normal. Some are different, but not because the rest of us must be screwed up.

That's why I don't believe in intuitive eating for myself (or probably most). I don't log at maintenance, but not because I can intuitively eat; because I make a point of mindfully eating.

Do you live in the US? I don't know how true it is about the majority of people being overweight there, but you know, things are not everywhere like this.

I do, and the stats are about 66% overweight, but it's moving in our direction elsewhere. I know the UK certainly is, but from the stats so is the rest of Europe, including France.

But that's about environment. I talked upthread about how even though I can't intuitively eat I was never overweight earlier in life, because of my environment and lifestyle. I think France has a healthier environment (food wise) in a lot of ways. That doesn't mean people intuitively eat and wouldn't overeat given the right circumstances (or the wrong one). When the environment exists to maximize food availability and remove barriers to overeating (cultural ideas about when and what to eat), it seems only a minority (increasingly a small minority) can avoid being overweight without imposing such restrictions on themselves (as I do with mindful eating, as I see my sister -- who has never been overweight -- doing to avoid becoming overweight).

So that's why I think this false idea that if we were just not messed up we'd naturally be able to avoid overeating in any environment is unhelpful. It's natural for humans to overeat in the kind of food environment many of us currently live in. Wanting to is NOT messed up, needing to learn how not to and not just thinking it should be intuitive is, IMO, realistic.
    The vast majority of my friends and colleagues are at a healthy weight and they appear to be intuitive earing.

As an aside, lots of people I used to think were lucky and never had to think about what they eat do, in fact, think about what they eat. This is increasingly true as people get older and often less active without needing to intentionally exercise. My sister is one (she's always been thin, but not naturally thin as the thread means), but there are many others. I know people I'd call naturally thin too, but they aren't necessarily the majority of thin people.
    So I think that even though it makes a lot of sense to say "we are evolutionary disigned to overeat if food is available", in reality our bodies are more complicated than that. I think our bodies evolved beyond the idea of a constant threat of famine. If not the majority of people in all industrialized countries would be overweight. But this doesn't appear to be true.

I think we have cultural restrictions on food that used to limit what we ate (in addition to shortages). In the US those used to exist (I think they were why we weren't so fat when I was growing up), but don't any more, and I see the same patterns in Europe and elsewhere, as I mentioned. But cultural restrictions are something other than intuitive eating, this idea that we just naturally will never want to eat more than we need over the course of a week. It's actually more like what I'm trying to achieve with mindful eating, although it would be easier if culture were consistent with it.
  • haydiz70
    haydiz70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My parents were both thin and food for them was just a necessity to stay alive. They didn't plan events focused on food, instead they'd plan fishing or camping trips. They'd go to the park for walks or to a nearby festival to look at the crafts and just enjoy themselves. They even noticed the difference in how they thought about food compared to others. They said some people live to eat while they simply ate to live. My dad eats hot dogs and sweets almost daily but his meals are small and he's very active, even in his mid 70s. For me, I was introduced to good food when I met my husband's family. All of their events centered on big meals. I liked that! Ha but I gained 50 pounds over the years and have struggled since to have a better relationship with food and not center every weekend adventure or family gathering around eating too much.
  • aniracace
    edited January 2018
    Options
    ljmorgi wrote: »
    I was "naturally thin" until I wasn't. People aren't magically one or the other.

How does this answer my question? I never said people are magically one or the other. My question was this:

Is there an actual difference between the way naturally thin people and overweight people think?

The implication is that there may or may not be an actual difference. The implication is also that people are of different sizes. I am simply asking if there is a comparison between 2 of the hundreds of variations of generalized body types/sizes.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    All the "naturally thin" people I know (my husband and all my in-laws) genuinely don't want food if they're not hungry. That's the main difference I notice.

They also get antsy when they have eaten a lot, and want to get up and go for a long walk or something. It's not necessarily the same day, might be the following day, but it happens. They also eat less on following days.

It's not a difference in how they and I *think*. They barely think about it at all. It's a difference in feelings and reactions.

Intuitive eating like that just blows my mind. I know a lot of people like this. The concept of body and mind being so in tune and autoregulating the calorie intake and expendurw without much concious awareness of the process! That's how our bodies are supposed to.work idea. But I don't think i'll ever be alble to learn this. I've had disordered eating since I was 10 and later a full blown ED. My hunger cues are forever messed up. Still I often dream that some day I'll ve able to mentain not trough logging, not even through habit but intuitively.

I don't actually think that's how our bodies are supposed to work or that not being able to do that makes you messed up.

For most of human history access to food was insecure and it was beneficial to be able to/want to eat when it was available, even if that meant putting on some weight, and to be able to go without for a while too. Thus, it seems totally normal and even beneficial to want to eat based on cues like food being available and nearby, even if you just ate, and to find food desirable when it has qualities consistent with it being high cal (high in fat and sugar), and for variety to mean that you eat more (during most of human history wanting a variety would have meant getting a variety of nutrients, and good for you, not wanting to eat pie after having a huge steak).

Thus, it's really not surprising to me that a majority of people seem to easily become overweight or obese in the current environment (more, really), and only a small minority seem not to have to work at staying slim to avoid obesity. I don't think that's because all of us who find it easy to overeat have messed up hunger signals (vs. just responding to cues in a normal human way).

I think emotional eating can be messed up signals, but wanting to eat easily more than you actually need is probably just normal. Some are different, but not because the rest of us must be screwed up.

That's why I don't believe in intuitive eating for myself (or probably most). I don't log at maintenance, but not because I can intuitively eat; because I make a point of mindfully eating.

Do you live in the US? I don't know how true it is about the majority of people being overweight there, but you know, things are not everywhere like this. And it's not only about industrialized nations and availability of food. I live in France and the majority of (middle and upper class) people are at a healthy weight despite aggressive availability of food that isn't much different from the US. Lower class people may have slightly different statistics (when you're financially insecure all the time, people tend to overeat on cheap foods sporadically).

The vast majority of my friends and colleagues are at a healthy weight and they appear to be intuitive earing. The food is just as available as in the US and almost just as advertized etc. It's just that the culture around food is different. People are used to eat healthy portions of foods and regular times and snacking us somewhat discouraged. I'm not saying there are no overweight people or no eating disorders. There are, of course, and I know several people with food problems. But a lot or the majority of people I interact with on a daily basis appear to be "intuitive eaters". They stop when they are full e en when there's more delicious food available, even if there's still food on their plate. They eat sweet and junk food quite often but they stop after eating a little. They don't think much about food at all outside of meal times. And some are just used to eating one or 2 meals a day and don't even feel peckish in between.

I come from another European country, which is also economically devepped and has a somewhat different food culture, but the weight statistics are similar.

So I think that even though it makes a lot of sense to say "we are evolutionary disigned to overeat if food is available", in reality our bodies are more complicated than that. I think our bodies evolved beyond the idea of a constant threat of famine. If not the majority of people in all industrialized countries would be overweight. But this doesn't appear to be true.

I see your point, but I think you missed two important (and related) environmental and cultural differences between the US and Europe: daily activity level and access to fresh food. European countries are set up to support and encourage walking and biking in a way that the United States simply isn't. Both cities and rural areas in the US are very car-centric both by design and simple geography. Looking at vehicles per capita, the US is 795 per 1000 people, while France is 578 per 1000 people. That isn't about wealth, it's about culture and necessity.

Related to that, I don't think the US encourages cooking at home to nearly the extent much of Europe does. It's harder to find fresh food in much of the US, and since we work longer hours on average across the economic spectrum, making the time to cook becomes more difficult and less of a priority. When you take our relative lack of a social safety net into account, the differences just grow more profound. Looking at obesity rates across the globe, New Zealand, Canada, Australia and South Africa all have higher obesity rates than any European country, and I suspect that similar factors are in play.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I was naturally thin up until several years. And then I quit smoking. Now I'm no longer naturally thin. I lost the gained weight but can no longer maintain without depriving myself.
    Where my brain was craving a cigarette is now craving food. Even after almost 3 years not smoking. I have no desire to light up now. But I think of food every couple of minutes. I don't think I will be naturally thin ever again.
    I used to smoke around 40 cigs a day for 20 years. My brain is sadly ruined by that.
    The fact that due to health issues I'm completely sedentiary and maintain at 1500cals doesn't help at all. I used to be able to exercise a bit but now I can't.
    I'm really strugling.