Shall I ignore my BMI

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    BMI is a pretty good indicator for the majority of folk to go by. You say you don't know if you can reach a healthy BMI, well you wont know until you try :smile: All the best.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    jc1961AA wrote: »
    Just wanted to know if people in general try to reach a BMI goal. My goal is to reach 80kg for 175cm (currently at 81.6kg), but the BMI calculator says that i would still be "overweight", and ideal weight would be 75kg, I don't know if I could even reach that, and I don't think that I want to lose that much weight. Is BMI calculation overrated?

The BMI scale works well for me. My best weight is when I'm in the lower half of my normal BMI range.

Maybe you just can't imagine yourself there yet ... but when you get closer you might.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Just wanted to know if people in general try to reach a BMI goal. My goal is to reach 80kg for 175cm (currently at 81.6kg), but the BMI calculator says that i would still be "overweight", and ideal weight would be 75kg, I don't know if I could even reach that, and I don't think that I want to lose that much weight. Is BMI calculation overrated?

I think bmi is a good guide but you have to consider your own experience.
    I feel best around the middle to top of the bmi range. However, I still feel pretty good 10 lbs overweight. I still plan to get into the healthy bmi range.
    Evaluate as you get closer. If you are losing weight for health reasons talk to your doctor about it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

I use BMI for guidance but also take into consideration BF%. My typical maintenance weight is about 180 Lbs at 5'10" which puts me at about 6 Lbs overweight as per BMI but at that weight I'm at a totally healthy BF% but not super lean...like 12-15% BF which is fine by me.

I'm not a body builder by any stretch of the imagination, but I am an active guy and I workout and train regularly. I don't think it's unusual for active males with some muscle mass to be slightly overweight or at the high end of the BMI scale.

I imagine I could get down to 170 and be super lean...sub 10% and have poppin' abs, but I just don't have that kind of dietary discipline. No gut or love handles is good enough for me aesthetically speaking.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    BMI is one data point that should be considered along with a lot of other data points. It tells you one thing about your health, but that's it. I don't know that I would flat-out ignore it, but I wouldn't give it more consideration than other important metrics either.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    You're pretty close to where your original goal was. Are you happy here? Once you hit 80, what are your plans? Are you going to go back to old ways or have you made enough of a lifestyle that you can maintain at 80?

I used the high end of normal BMI for my initial target weight. Since puberty, I have been either overweight or obese, and have no idea what a "normal" bmi will look or feel like, for me. Once I hit that 145lbs I will start recomposition, so it won't really be over.

I think that if you are still doing some sort of activity you love, and eating a nutritionally sound and varied diet, the difference of 11ish pounds is not the end of the world.
  • rokuren
    rokuren Posts: 5 Member
    Jams009 wrote: »
    BMI can't differentiate between fat and muscle since it only takes into account height and weight. If you have a decent amount of muscle it will be inaccurate; according to my BMI I'm overweight (26.62), but I'm objectively not.

Bf% is a better indicator to go by.

True, BMI is a proxy measure of body fat; so actually knowing your %body fat is much better/accurate. The problem is most people don't know that value; much less do what it takes to get it measured accurately as they progress. So they end up using BMI.

BMI has a fairly strong positive correlation with body fat so feel free to use it as a data point. Interestingly, the few studies I've seen show that if it's going to be wrong it's far more likely to underestimate your % body fat. Of course, if you exercise and build muscle your BMI may trend toward overestimation.

• SusanMcMc
    SusanMcMc Posts: 252 Member
    My understanding is the BMI is a statistical tool more than anything. bMI Isn’t meant to be a standalone tool to evaluate an individuals health but a way to group test subjects to analyze and evaluate research. At overweight BMI you are more likely to see adverse health effects over time. If you are obese, even more so. For me, making the effort to go from obese to just overweight has been huge psychologically. I am still heavy by pop culture and aesthetic standards but I know that I have statistically improved my chances for avoiding diabetes, heart disease, certain cancers etc. I could still develop these of course but like I said there’s a huge psychological benefit to knowing I’m doing what I can to reduce the risk of incidence.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    beck544 wrote: »
    A better indicator for health than BMI is waist measurement, a waist measurement has been proven to be a better indicator of actual health, risk of heart disease and stroke so if your bmi was higher than the normal range but your waist measurement is less than 94cm for men and 80 cm for women your probably perfectly healthy

Waist measurement varies a lot based on the person's overall height, build, etc. an 80 cm waist on a 5'0" woman is going to be much different than on a 6'0" woman. Same with the men. Plus you cannot possibly say whether someone is "perfectly healthy" based on one number, regardless of what it is.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    It's just one statistic. You can put as much worth into as you wish.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Check your waist-hip ratio. If that's good, don't worry about your BMI so much. If you have a reasonably accurate measure of your body fat and it's acceptably low, worry about your BMI even less.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited January 2018
    To clarify: The waist measurement is supposed to be a ratio of waist to height or waist to hip.

One of my goals has been to hit the height to waist ratio at which health risks are lowered, which is 2:1. I’m 70 inches tall, so I’m aiming for a 35-inch waist (0.25” to go).

I’m also shooting for a normal BMI (14 lbs left). And a generally healthy body fat percentage (done, within an acceptable margin of error for me). And a clothing size out of the plus range (done). And just generally feeling good and athletic (still working on this one). No one metric is sufficient to tell me when I’m done.