The older you get the harder it becomes!

Options

Replies

• rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    at least half a stone in the first couple of weeks on a diet

That was mostly water. Keep going.

• catlynnl
    catlynnl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think it potentially could be harder as we age, particularly for women. Seems estrogen might be linked to either metabolism or satiety (maybe both?): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28333235
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I really don't think it gets harder as you get older. But when we are young we do drastic things to get it off (cleanses, shakes, extreme exercise, etc). But as you get older you have more responsibilites. It's not just YOU any more. It's him/her, them and all the other people in your life. So, it takes some dedication and some planning. And it needs to be another priority.

In my 20's I was able to exercise 10-15lbs off and be good to go. In my early 30's I needed both diet and exercise to lose 30lbs. Now I'm almost 40, I realize I can't eat like I used to and I need to move. Not just from the couch to the kitchen. It may be as easy as parking farther away and taking the stairs at work. I need to get up from desk chair every hour and stretch. Not so much for weight loss, but for health. Your priorties tend to change the older you get too. In my 20's I wanted flat abs and tight butt. Now, close to 40, I just want to remain healthy, limber and feeling good.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I know we all say it gets harder as we get older. But, i truly think it got harder for me, just because i was older and tired of dieting more than when i was younger. i think we use up a lot of will power. We are also older, and we want to lose weight for different reasons.
    When younger, i always wanted to lose weight to look good, for a special occasion.. because i was single and wanted to find my mate.
    Now, I'm older..married... fat and happy... life is food centered for fun and entertainment. My husband loves me no matter what, and actually doesn't even notice when i lose 20 pounds. . ..so.. it is harder to bite the bullet and get motivated to lose.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I find it’s not any harder for me now than it was when I was younger. I’m 61, and counting calories works well for me.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    On average, we lose 100 calories per day for every decade. But that's the average and assuming the person has done nothing to maintain muscle mass which is the largest dictator of BMR (resting energy needs). Everything else comes from your activity level. As others have pointed out, we tend to get more sedentary the older we get and that's what has the biggest impact. Truth is probably that when the weight flew off in your teens you were undereating for your activity level.

So no, it isn't any harder to lose but it may be harder to form or reform old habits that made maintaining a deficit easier.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and lost 113 lbs in the past year.

I disagree with the statement that you can't out exercise a bad diet - first of all, the main reason it's harder for older people to lose weight is lower activity levels and muscle mass, and those are absolutely things you can change with exercise.

Maybe you can't go for a walk and then eat an entire kitchen, but you sure can eat a comfortable amount of food and still lose weight if you increase your exercise levels substantially. I went from morbidly obese to normal weight without ever logging a day less than 1600 gross calories, and usually I eat between 1900 - 2100. It's not difficult to earn 400 - 600 calories with an hour of serious exercise - I don't mean slowly pedaling an elliptical, I mean getting sweaty. And the difference in happiness level, at least for me, between 1200 calories a day and 1800, is enormous. 1200 isn't even three normal sized meals, it's three teeny diet meals. 1800 is three normal sized meals and a substantial snack.

Plus, there's a database which follows people who have kept off substantial amounts of weight long term after losing it, because this is so rare that people study it. The database found that the thing they had in common was that all of them exercised regularly. I seem to recall the average was 45 minutes daily.

Last but not least, exercise is like a magic prescription for health. So if you are losing weight to improve your health, it makes no sense to avoid exercise if you are capable of it.

Find something you enjoy enough to stick with it - I started with Bollywood Zumba, now I'm running three times a week. And do some strength training, it preserves muscle while you eat in a deficit.

That's the National Weight Control Registry - I aspire to become a participant one day (you need to lose at least 30 lbs and keep it off for one year). They did find that 94% of participants increased physical activity, and that 90% exercise at least an hour a day, but the most commonly reported form of exercise was walking. So yes, exercise is important in the long run, but it doesn't have to be strenuous.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Focusing on the difficulty doesn't add anything to the effort. We just need to come to terms with the fact you have no choice but to exercise and eat right to at least maintain where you are, least you fall further in your health.
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Losing fat and losing weight are two different things! Example: I'm female, 56 y/o, 5'2 and stable at 115lbs. My goal is fat loss while maintaining current weight. Since October my body fat % has reduced by 2% and I look a lot leaner - people ask if I've lost more weight. How? I now swim 2-3 times a week regularly and started CrossFit 3x a week.
    In an earlier comment a member indicated age isn't a factor - I agree. At my heaviest 217lbs four years I've worked on where I'm at today... one step at a time. Eating healthy food, getting adequate sleep and getting of my fat *kitten* off the office chair and home sofa to get active (and that's been progressive). Small changes that stick and build new habits are what work. It takes time.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    beldacov wrote: »
    I had a very heart to heart chat with my doctor today about calorie today. This was her analogy of calories in: "I can eat 1200 calories in pizza and then starve the rest of the day because I consumed all my calories for the day and it really wasn't that much pizza. On the other hand, you could eat 1200 calories in carrots (might turn a little orange) but that 1200 calories of carrots would be a lot of food and really filling versus 1200 calories of pizza. At the end of the day, we both ate 1200 calories and I walk away feeling starved all day because I used all my calories on a little bit of pizza while you are stuffed to the brim with carrots. A calorie is a calorie. We can feel full or feel deprived based on our food choices."

I would be a lot hungrier on the carrots (no protein, no fat) if I could get that many down, than I would eating the pizza.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    beldacov wrote: »
    I had a very heart to heart chat with my doctor today about calorie today. This was her analogy of calories in: "I can eat 1200 calories in pizza and then starve the rest of the day because I consumed all my calories for the day and it really wasn't that much pizza. On the other hand, you could eat 1200 calories in carrots (might turn a little orange) but that 1200 calories of carrots would be a lot of food and really filling versus 1200 calories of pizza. At the end of the day, we both ate 1200 calories and I walk away feeling starved all day because I used all my calories on a little bit of pizza while you are stuffed to the brim with carrots. A calorie is a calorie. We can feel full or feel deprived based on our food choices."

I would be a lot hungrier on the carrots (no protein, no fat) if I could get that many down, than I would eating the pizza.

thats 6.5 lbs of carrots. Just think of all that chewing and time on the bathroom. 1 Vote pizza please.