January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @shanaber "beer on the beach"...yeah, I'd run for that! Have a great race in spite of being sick. Sounds like you're on the rebound and that's great to hear.

@Starflight00 sounds like a great run! Did that run have any sort of warmup in it before you got to the instructed zone? I tried to get at least a half mile of warm up in any run before getting to any prescribed zone. Regarding your back, be sure you are running tall, straight, and with good posture. I see some runners leaning to far forward, or lowering their head when they run. Their body isn't in a straight line with gravity when they hit the ground and the impact with the weight off center torques the body and can cause problems (like a sore back) over time.

@ddmom0811 have an awesome time Sunday!

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - I have similar problems with drivers here and they have a 4-way stop. It doesn't really help much at all. My daughter told me to keep Hobbes' full poop bag and throw it at the car as it zooms by me in the intersection. Hopefully it would break and splatter on the car or at least that is what happens in my mind. I had one situation where I almost reached out and smacked the car with my hand as it blew last me. Honestly I am amazed there aren't more accidents because these drivers just don't look. at. all.
    @Starflight00 - I agree with what @7lenny7 says about being in a straight line but would add to that to tighten your abs as they help support your back.
    @skippygirlsmom and @Elise4270 - yep I think Doug's MFP name was Codemonkey because he worked in IT. I used to have the blog for the other guy in my favorites but I deleted it when he stopped updating the blog. I often wonder what happened to him and if he is ok.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @juliet3455 and @7lenny7 -- thanks for adding your thoughts as well. I will try swapping my weekend runs and see how it goes. In the past, I have given myself an extra week or two as well, but most of the plans I had originally looked at were 16 weeks and Hal's is 18, so it kind of caught me off guard when I was looking into it.

The group run is only 3 miles this week, so I will plan on running a bit more afterward. We are going to have another cold snap this weekend, so it will be interesting to see how dedicated some of the people signed up will be, lol.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

Oh - @Elise4270, wasn't it @codemonkey or something like that, who stopped at McDonald's during his race? Who was the guy who had the 'handicapable running' blog?

Yes, that's who it was, Randal Burke. He's occasionally on Strava. Nice to see he's still kickin'.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @shanaber and @Elise4270 the runner who was handicapped and McDonald guy are not the same though their screen names were similar. Doug was the McDonald guy.

Ohh.. thanks for having a better memory!
  • shanaber
    Options
    @Elise4270 - I think Randall may have been the guy with the blog! I will have to look him up on Strava.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @shanaber and @Elise4270 the runner who was handicapped and McDonald guy are not the same though their screen names were similar. Doug was the McDonald guy.

Ohh.. thanks for having a better memory!

Doug, aka, The McDonald's Guy was also aka Sonic Death Monkey. I actually met him in Dayton at a race we both did. I miss him. He always made me laugh.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    1/1 = 6 miles
    1/2 = rest day
    1/3 = 7.5 miles
    1/4 = vinyasa yoga class
    1/5 = 7.5 miles
    1/6 = 13 miles - River Road Half Marathon
    1/7 = 6 miles
    1/8 = strength training at the gym
    1/9 = early PT appt for my foot/ankle
    1/10 = 8 miles
    1/11 = 6 miles
    1/12 = 9 miles
    1/13 = rest day
    1/14 = 14 miles (run/walk intervals with group)
    1/15 = 5 miles & foot PT appt.
    1/16 = rest day
    1/17 = 6 miles dreadmill & 30 minutes strength training
    1/18 = 4 miles
    1/19 = 14 miles (run/walk intervals)
    1/20 = gimpy foot rest day
    1/21 = 8 miles (run/walk intervals)
    1/22 = 6 miles and short strength training session
    1/23 = rest day
    1/24 = 9 miles
    1/25 = 3 miles
    1/26 = 12 miles
    1/27 = rest day
    1/28 = 12 miles (run / walk intervals with the group)
    1/29 = 3 miles and 40 minutes strength training
    1/30 = 6 miles
    1/31 = 9 miles

January Goal = 140 miles / total miles = 174
  • dancefit2015
    dancefit2015 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • shanaber
    Options
    @lporter, @skippygirlsmom, @Elise4270 - @SonicDeathMonkey80 is still active. Maybe it is the same runner, Doug, and we can coerce him back to the Challenge?
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    @fitoverfortymom - I can’t vouch for anyone’s else’s experience, but most of my running was in conjunction with strong lifts 5x5. For moderate running, they go hand in hand nicely. At some level of intensity I needed to essentially pick a priority. I lifted clear thru half marathon training, but squats sucked. And lifts in general progressed more slowly. And because the half was the priority, I needed to understand that would happen, and be ok with that. Currently, without the running, when I’m not being lazy, I sometimes need to slow the lifting down, because strength gains happen quickly enough that form can’t always keep up. I am also opposite of most... I don’t get runger... after long runs I would have to convince myself to eat. After major lifting, I want ALL the food. But at the same time, my diet is more forgiving if I’m lifting. Not forgiving enough for all this NOT running bs... but more forgiving.

Your biceps are serious #goals. <3<3