The DEBUNKING thread.........myths that need to be trashed

Options

Replies

• princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    wow, my brain hurts!!! th:laugh: ats a lot to read!! but thanks there are a few things i didnt know that .. well now i do.. :happy:

so i'm on a low cal diet,.. so should i even bother lifting weights? as well as cardio? :ohwell:

also, i am thinking of trying to do the C25K program...worth it ?

to 1 : get fit... 2 : lose weight ??

thanks for all your info, :heart: .. that goes for everyone :)
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    wow, my brain hurts!!! th:laugh: ats a lot to read!! but thanks there are a few things i didnt know that .. well now i do.. :happy:

so i'm on a low cal diet,.. so should i even bother lifting weights? as well as cardio? :ohwell:

I'm starting a powerlifting routine and I'm overweight. I've gotten some remarkable strength gains already while being on a low calorie diet. I increased at least 15 lbs of weight a week on everything I did in a 1 month period. more in some cases. And at the same time I increased the slack on my belt by almost 6 inches.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Thanks, but are you saying that if I want to loose weight at the same time, those muscles will not develop because my body will keep using them for energy?
    In which case, whats the point?

Your muscles will absolutely get stronger even if trying to lose weight. Your muscles will gain little to know "mass" which isn't the same thing. Your muscles will grow a little because they have to in order to get stronger you just won't get huge or anything.

Yes, you can get stronger and build some muscle, even while losing weight. I have. You just need to make sure your diet is not full of junk and has enough protein and veggies, etc. You also have to make sure you are lifting heavy enough weights and fatiguing your muscles. When folks say you can't build muscle while in calorie deficit, they are really talking about body builders looking to gain a large amount of muscle mass.
  • gurlondrums
    Options
    BUMP (for reading later)
  • jg627
    Options
    Thanks, but are you saying that if I want to loose weight at the same time, those muscles will not develop because my body will keep using them for energy?

Your muscles will absolutely get stronger even if trying to lose weight. Your muscles will gain little to know "mass" which isn't the same thing. Your muscles will grow a little because they have to in order to get stronger you just won't get huge or anything.

Yes, you can get stronger and build some muscle, even while losing weight. I have. You just need to make sure your diet is not full of junk and has enough protein and veggies, etc. You also have to make sure you are lifting heavy enough weights and fatiguing your muscles. When folks say you can't build muscle while in calorie deficit, they are really talking about body builders looking to gain a large amount of muscle mass.

Thank you! bro science comes from steroid use.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    You lose lean muscle at the same time you lose fat. If you disregard exercising the muscle, you will lose a larger percentage of it, your metabolic rate will slow even more and your body will be "soft".
    I think you're confused with a couple of statements I posted. You use muscle tissue for energy if you do NOTHING but diet and/or cardio for weight loss and long bouts of cardio (over an hour in time) will even use up more. You also will use up lean muscle tissue for energy if you do a moderate to long cardio workout BEFORE you lift because the muscles need the glycogen for ATP/ADP processing that needs to be done.
    You cannot build muscle on a calorie deficit diet unless you're one of the exceptions I mentioned earlier. To gain muscle, you have to gain weight. Plain and simple.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

You need to define your goal before you figure what plan you will do.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I'm starting a powerlifting routine and I'm overweight. I've gotten some remarkable strength gains already while being on a low calorie diet. I increased at least 15 lbs of weight a week on everything I did in a 1 month period. more in some cases. And at the same time I increased the slack on my belt by almost 6 inches.
    Condition the muscle with weights and it gets strong. Most people don't even realize how strong they really are because lots of stuff they see leaves them with limited insight on how much they can lift. Watching some DVD with a female using a 5lb weight for exercise inclines the user to do the same.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Thank you! bro science comes from steroid use.
    Partially true, since there are a lot of natural that believe it too. Most of it is anecdotal mixed in with actual science.
  • jg627
    Options

Condition the muscle with weights and it gets strong. Most people don't even realize how strong they really are because lots of stuff they see leaves them with limited insight on how much they can lift. Watching some DVD with a female using a 5lb weight for exercise inclines the user to do the same.

It makes you feel good too. Sometimes just a little extra confidence is all you need to push up that extra weight.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    It makes you feel good too. Sometimes just a little extra confidence is all you need to push up that extra weight.
    That confidence can also translate to being more effective at every day things in your life. Where people might doubt their efforts at their job, with that confidence they may be daring to think outside the box. It's really a good thing to "bump the weight" as long as your form is correct and you can handle that weight safely.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    When folks say you can't build muscle while in calorie deficit, they are really talking about body builders looking to gain a large amount of muscle mass.
    Actually there's science to back it up from the NIH, Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, and even the Journal of Metabolism and Endocrinology.
    But keeping it simple, when you lose weight you lose fat AND lean muscle tissue. This isn't disputed. Why would it be different when you're trying to gain muscle? Anytime you try to gain muscle you will add some fat. It works both ways.
    To apparently build muscle while on calorie deficit you not only have to SAVE the lean muscle you have, you have to regain the muscle you lost, then you have to build more muscle on top of the the two............all without adding extra calories. Well fat can't be converted to protein, and just eating a high protein diet (while helping to retain lean muscle) won't ensure that all that protein goes to muscle building. Problem is it doesn't. Some will be used for energy and some excreted. And again to gain muscle you would have to gain weight. To gain weight you need to eat excess calories.
    So it's not just for bodybuilders, this applies to just about everyone trying to lose weight.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    When folks say you can't build muscle while in calorie deficit, they are really talking about body builders looking to gain a large amount of muscle mass.
    Actually there's science to back it up from the NIH, Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, and even the Journal of Metabolism and Endocrinology.
    But keeping it simple, when you lose weight you lose fat AND lean muscle tissue. This isn't disputed. Why would it be different when you're trying to gain muscle? Anytime you try to gain muscle you will add some fat. It works both ways.
    To apparently build muscle while on calorie deficit you not only have to SAVE the lean muscle you have, you have to regain the muscle you lost, then you have to build more muscle on top of the the two............all without adding extra calories. Well fat can't be converted to protein, and just eating a high protein diet (while helping to retain lean muscle) won't ensure that all that protein goes to muscle building. Problem is it doesn't. Some will be used for energy and some excreted. And again to gain muscle you would have to gain weight. To gain weight you need to eat excess calories.
    So it's not just for bodybuilders, this applies to just about everyone trying to lose weight.

Bottom line is that after losing weight, folks will want to have lost more fat than muscle and have a lower body fat percentage than when they started. I am actively losing weight and I know I look better from having done regular strength training than if I did only diet and cardio.

I think this thread started off good, but unfortunately, your more recent posts may be misinterpreted by folks and they could get discouraged rather than encouraged about strength training while they are actively trying to lose weight.

I don't think you're meaning to discourage people, but in striving to be so technically/scientifically correct (which honestly, no one is going to take the time to research this to see whether you are correct on all counts), I think the main supportive message that people need to hear is getting lost.

Just my two cents.

Ladies - Just do it! Go ahead and lift!
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Bottom line is that after losing weight, folks will want to have lost more fat than muscle and have a lower body fat percentage than when they started. I am actively losing weight and I know I look better from having done regular strength training than if I did only diet and cardio.

I think this thread started off good, but unfortunately, your more recent posts may be misinterpreted by folks and they could get discouraged rather than encouraged about strength training while they are actively trying to lose weight.

I don't think you're meaning to discourage people, but in striving to be so technically/scientifically correct (which honestly, no one is going to take the time to research this to see whether you are correct on all counts), I think the main supportive message that people need to hear is getting lost.

Just my two cents.

Ladies - Just do it! Go ahead and lift!
    I hear ya. It's not my intent to discourage nor dissuade people from continuing weight loss nor be un supportive. The intent is to clear up what the truth actually is about how the body works at weight loss. For the same people that hear that weight lifting for females will make them look muscular and manly, you will get people who know that this isn't true. The one's who think it's true will want to know why and that's where we can scientifically show it doesn't happen (unless artificial or unusual high amounts of testosterone is present) and back by clinical evidence.
    I'm with you though, they should just lift and not worry about packing on a lot of muscle.
  • Barmcake
    Barmcake Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hmm I do tend to gain weight when I exercise, and also monitoring my food intake. To debunk the "myth" as you say you will have to tackle why that happens. Similarly, when I stop exercising as much, and monitor food intake, I often lose weight. Perhaps some women could come onto the forum and explain that, as we do have a different make-up to men.
  • _JuliaM_
    _JuliaM_ Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks for the info :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    hmm I do tend to gain weight when I exercise, and also monitoring my food intake. To debunk the "myth" as you say you will have to tackle why that happens. Similarly, when I stop exercising as much, and monitor food intake, I often lose weight. Perhaps some women could come onto the forum and explain that, as we do have a different make-up to men.
    I did. To repeat, weight training and exercise cause the muscles and liver to "fill" up with glycogen and water with the anticipation that energy will be needed to continue to expend that energy through exercise. Also the muscle needs excess water to repair the muscle itself. This is why there is weight gain.
    When you don't exercise, the body will "note" this and not store that extra glycogen and water in the cells. This is why there is weight loss.
    The body eventually adapts to CONSISTENT exercise and routine and eventually the water retention will subside.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    can ask if something is a myth or not please? is strength training good for bone health? i've heard in the past that it is but i've not seen it mentioned as a benefit to those who are reluctant to start lifting on here, so i thought i would ask rather than suggesting it incase it got shot down as a myth. thanks
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    can ask if something is a myth or not please? is strength training good for bone health? i've heard in the past that it is but i've not seen it mentioned as a benefit to those who are reluctant to start lifting on here, so i thought i would ask rather than suggesting it incase it got shot down as a myth. thanks

Yes, it is true. 'Weight work increases the force loads on the bones just like it does on the muscles, ligaments, and tendons. All are increased in strength as a physiological response to weight bearing activity. Some will say that walking can help increase bone density too, but the studies I've read show that weight lifting helps more.