Cool Sculpting, anyone?

Options
Has anyone done cool sculpting? I want to lose the loose stuff under my chin and the little belly I've had since I was 4. I'm thinking of socking some money away for it, but then maybe not. . .

Honestly, even if I save enough to do it, I will probably grab the money and have an extra hiking trip, but. . .I'm hearing good things about it, so I'm thinking about it. It isn't weight loss, I'm told, but it makes trouble spots look nicer by removing fat cells.

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about it -- I'm relatively lean, and the weight is coming off everywhere *but* my torso. But the reviews I've read make it sound like it won't do the results that I want, so likely I'm not actually going to do it.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    How can it "remove fat cells"? That does not line up with science. Save your money. It doesn't work.

By killing them. The procedure is somewhere between moderately uncomfortable and outright painful, but unlike Lipo it's non-invasive.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    It's a real thing that works, but the results, based on what I've read there on that internet, seem sketchy. It's not something I would have done.
  • Shugahhfatt
    Shugahhfatt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    lol do not waste your time and moneeee
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I walk to work and I live in Ontario, does that count? lol

It might. It also explains why I have ab definition any time I get even close to 225 lbs, because most of my BF is visceral. Unfortunately that's not a really healthy body shape even though I do like having an 8 pack kegerator. :)
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I don't know. It seems like too much of a fast and easy solution. So get cool-sculpted, but does the person change anything about their nutrition? Who knows... It's certainly not a remedy for weight loss, nor a prevention for future weight gain, it targets and kills only a fraction of the fat in the treated area. I wouldn't bother.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I don't know. It seems like too much of a fast and easy solution. So get cool-sculpted, but does the person change anything about their nutrition? Who knows... It's certainly not a remedy for weight loss, nor a prevention for future weight gain, it targets and kills only a fraction of the fat in the treated area. I wouldn't bother.

It's really only indicated for someone who just has a small stubborn area of fat that losing weight hasn't eliminated. That's the only way I've seen it advertised. And OP specifically said they were considering it for exactly that.

OP, as far as your neck area, I've seen several relatively non-invasive procedures advertised recently for that area. If it bothers you, scheduling a consultation with a reputable plastic surgeon can't hurt!
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I have wondered about this myself... I know nothing about it, always wondering, if like seaweed wraps, it was temporary.

As far as, it being a replacement for nutrition or exercise.... snarlingcoyote never said that it was = )
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Go to a plastic surgeons office who does cool sculpting... talk to them get references and the facts. in fact, maybe talk to three different EXPERTS.....and don't take advice from a bunch of dieters who think we know everything from googling.

Yup -- any plastic surgeon who is reputable will do a free consultation.

Actually most of them charge a consult fee but if you have something done with them they will apply it towards the procedure.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    And unfortunately, just like lipo, the fat can (and will) come back without dietary modification and activity. Sounds awful (from the article). I'd avoid.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Go to a plastic surgeons office who does cool sculpting... talk to them get references and the facts. in fact, maybe talk to three different EXPERTS.....and don't take advice from a bunch of dieters who think we know everything from googling.

Yup -- any plastic surgeon who is reputable will do a free consultation.

Actually most of them charge a consult fee but if you have something done with them they will apply it towards the procedure.

Ah, that makes sense.