January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    @fitoverfortymom - I can’t vouch for anyone’s else’s experience, but most of my running was in conjunction with strong lifts 5x5. For moderate running, they go hand in hand nicely. At some level of intensity I needed to essentially pick a priority. I lifted clear thru half marathon training, but squats sucked. And lifts in general progressed more slowly. And because the half was the priority, I needed to understand that would happen, and be ok with that. Currently, without the running, when I’m not being lazy, I sometimes need to slow the lifting down, because strength gains happen quickly enough that form can’t always keep up. I am also opposite of most... I don’t get runger... after long runs I would have to convince myself to eat. After major lifting, I want ALL the food. But at the same time, my diet is more forgiving if I’m lifting. Not forgiving enough for all this NOT running bs... but more forgiving.
    I love this and love seeing women lift and become strong! Mostly because I know how great it has made me feel.

@hanlonsk and @fitoverfortymom - I started lifting first and that was my focus too. Running was added to the mix by my trainer for the cardio benefit and to help me lose weight and fat. Now that running has become such a big part of what I do, we fit the workouts to my running plan and races. I have to say though lifting has helped my running so much - even the squats! In fact we did them last night with 25's without thinking of the HM this weekend... Hopefully since it was only Tuesday the effects will be long gone by Sunday! I also don't get runger and have a difficult time eating after I run. Maybe it has to do with the lifting, I don't know. I do get really hungry after my strength training sessions and have to have something with me for on the way home.

I also know @ddmom0811 is now hooked on lifting too!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    @fitoverfortymom - I can’t vouch for anyone’s else’s experience, but most of my running was in conjunction with strong lifts 5x5. For moderate running, they go hand in hand nicely. At some level of intensity I needed to essentially pick a priority. I lifted clear thru half marathon training, but squats sucked. And lifts in general progressed more slowly. And because the half was the priority, I needed to understand that would happen, and be ok with that. Currently, without the running, when I’m not being lazy, I sometimes need to slow the lifting down, because strength gains happen quickly enough that form can’t always keep up. I am also opposite of most... I don’t get runger... after long runs I would have to convince myself to eat. After major lifting, I want ALL the food. But at the same time, my diet is more forgiving if I’m lifting. Not forgiving enough for all this NOT running bs... but more forgiving.
    I love this and love seeing women lift and become strong! Mostly because I know how great it has made me feel.

@hanlonsk and @fitoverfortymom - I started lifting first and that was my focus too. Running was added to the mix by my trainer for the cardio benefit and to help me lose weight and fat. Now that running has become such a big part of what I do, we fit the workouts to my running plan and races. I have to say though lifting has helped my running so much - even the squats! In fact we did them last night with 25's without thinking of the HM this weekend... Hopefully since it was only Tuesday the effects will be long gone by Sunday! I also don't get runger and have a difficult time eating after I run. Maybe it has to do with the lifting, I don't know. I do get really hungry after my strength training sessions and have to have something with me for on the way home.

I also know @ddmom0811 is now hooked on lifting too!

I'm a lifter and runner, which in the lifting community is really rare. A lot of them despise cardio so I have to rework lifting programs to add my running in (or do two workouts some days). I usually try not to do leg day and running the same day and if I have a long run scheduled I won't do legs day before or after.

I started lifting in high school. I took it as a gym elective. I started running in college after I stopped dancing.

I'm also a lifter - I do lifting and running on alternating days, 2 days one three days the other with two rest, then reverse the number of days next week. I try not to do both on the same day since studies have shown that cardio too close to lifting reduces the effectiveness of strength workouts on hypertrophy - and I want increased muscle mass so I can eat more calories!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @lporter, @skippygirlsmom, @Elise4270 - @SonicDeathMonkey80 is still active. Maybe it is the same runner, Doug, and we can coerce him back to the Challenge?

That's it @SonicDeathMonkey80 we are friends on Facebook and Strava. He's been cycling a lot.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    hehe... for you all you gym folks... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2ksKiihUgU
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Finally January Tally

Week 1 - 38.7
    Week 2 - 43.9
    Week 3 - 40.8
    Week 4 - 37.4
    Week 5 (3 days) - 17.1 (.1 bonus as Strava now recognizes the hundredth decimal point in adding up miles)

Final Total - 177.9 against a 168 mile target.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    *deleted wrong thread*