Is it better to not eat past 7 at night ??

Options
i was watching an interview and this guy lost heaps of weight by of course changing his diet but also not eating past 6 or 7 at night , does this help you loose weight ?

Replies

• Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    xkt6xc.png
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I make it a point not to eat after I've finished my dinner. But that's just to curb my late-night snacking habits, and not for any other reason. In the end, it's all calories in, calories out. WHEN you eat this doesn't matter, in my opinion.

Feel free to shoot me down, as I'm sure you all will!
  • imateapotx
    Options
    I agree with the above... I work 6pm - 10pm but cos of where I live I have to set off at 4pm I don't wanna eat tea/dinner at that time and when I did in past I found I was hungry and snacked at 10pm when I got home, I don't think it matters as long as you are sensible with your choices xx
  • change_happens
    Options
    i was watching an interview and this guy lost heaps of weight by of course changing his diet but also not eating past 6 or 7 at night , does this help you loose weight ?

One of the weight loss books I have been reading, Bob Greene's Best Life Diet, says not to eat after seven. He says if you go to bed hungry, great! A little tummy grumble lets you know that your body will be pulling from fat stores while you sleep. (this is not word for word, but summarized in my own words)
  • tdotwitch
    tdotwitch Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on when you go to bed. If you stay up late then it shouldn't be a problem. They say you shouldn't eat 4 hrs b4 you go to sleep buuuuttttt I never did follow rules very well :laugh:
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    There is no specific time I follow. I do try to eat my last snack/meal an hour or two before bedtime though. If you go to bed hungry you are much more likely to get up in the middle of the night to eat. That is not something you want to be doing, if for no other reason than it interrupts your sleep. This 1-2 hour before bed 'rule' has worked pretty well for me.
  • Miss_Z_87
    Options
    Yes - your metabolism slows down at night, therefore your body will store the 'unused energy' if you need to eat, have something high in protein (with minimal carbs) like a protein shake with water.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I think it's a nonsense generalisation. How does this rule know how you work, what time you go to bed, do you work nights, have you been able to eat at all in the last 12 hours?

It's as silly as the "8 cups of water" thing - same 8 cups for a 120 lb runner and a 300 lb couch potato?

Listen to your body.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i never eat past my dinner time(around 5.00pm),!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    So much ****ing bioscience!
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    also think this is nonsense...

when i dopped 9 kg earlier this year, my 6th and last meal of the day was ALWAYS around 10pm, right before bed.
    with calorie restriction, i had no issues losing the weight i wanted to...

:wink:
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    nope
  • italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with most everyone else- the timing isn't really so much the issue.
    I will add this though: keeping your blood sugar stable is what helps with weight loss.
    You don't want to starve and have your blood sugar dip too low- the spike up when you eat.
    You don't want to eat too much and have your blood sugar spike- then dip low later.
    Keep the blood sugar stable and you will feel great, and see results.
    How do you do this? Eat small portions of protein and carbs often- for example eat 4 small meals and 2 small snacks.
    This way you are eating 6 times a day, about every 3 hours- no starving and no up-down blood sugar.

For more information please read: The Eat-Clean Diet by Tosca Reno
    It's actually not a "diet." It teaches you how to eat clean as a lifestyle change.
    Tosca has an amazing before-after story!

Hope this helps!
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    No. I never eat dinner before 7 and a pretty great track record of losing weight. During college weeks I also tend to eat a carb-heavy dinner, and have a big proportion of my calories packed into it. I actually find I lose weight faster when I stick to 3 regular meals a day rather than many smaller ones stacked earlier in the day. Last night I had dinner at 11.30pm and this morning recorded a 1lb loss since 4 days ago.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I work days and nights all over the place. I don't have the luxury of deciding not to eat past 7p. But I'd just do what i want. Calories in is calories in. they don't have a watch
  • joyse
    joyse Posts: 10 Member
    Options

One of the weight loss books I have been reading, Bob Greene's Best Life Diet, says not to eat after seven. He says if you go to bed hungry, great! A little tummy grumble lets you know that your body will be pulling from fat stores while you sleep. (this is not word for word, but summarized in my own words)

Yes, that is exactly right. I never eat after 6 and by 10.30 when I go to bed I am slightly hungry. You just have to know your body. I have found that I lose weight easily during the night while eating this way. I can literally feel the fat moving from my legs. But maybe that is the case just with my body. In any way eating after 7 when your metabolism slows down isn't a good idea.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    xkt6xc.png

:drinker:
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    But maybe that is the case just with my body. In any way eating after 7 when your metabolism slows down isn't a good idea.
    Ok this is ridiculous - when your metabolism slows down depends on so many lifestyle factors. If you sleep til 10am, work/study til 6pm, then go to the gym before dinner at 9pm of course your metabolism isn't slowing down. If you are up at 5am to workout, and home from work/study at 4pm then if you sit on your bum in front of the TV from the minute you get home then yes, it will be slowing down. Fact is it's so marginal it makes no difference.

All these rules are just ways of restricting the calories that go in. If you don't allow yourself to eat after 7 you're saving a lot of calories from where you might have snacked, had dinner or a glass of wine. That is why people swear by it, just like they do by any other faddy idea.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Just last night I was reading on the CDC websitE that it does not matter.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to eat past 7/8pm but that's only because I can feel a little squiffy if I go to bed on a too full stomach.