Home workout question

I am 5’3 and 167. How should I go about creating a workout plan to shed 30 pounds.

Replies

• The_Ta
    The_Ta Posts: 59 Member
    Mix of your preferred cardio and resistance/strength training.
  • dklmiller
    dklmiller Posts: 55 Member
    Thank you! I’m thinking 30 mins 5 Times a week of cardio but having trouble thinking of resistance/strength training for home. The only weights I have are my husbands 50 pound dumbbells and that’s not happening lol
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    dklmiller wrote: »
    Thank you! I’m thinking 30 mins 5 Times a week of cardio but having trouble thinking of resistance/strength training for home. The only weights I have are my husbands 50 pound dumbbells and that’s not happening lol

Look into the You Are Your Own Gym program. I believe it's just bodyweight exercises.
  • dklmiller
    @malibu927 I’m considering intermittent fasting to create a deficit as I find it easier to eat less when I wait to eat till a few hours after I wake up
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    You can use random stuff around the house for weights. You can also always just do bodyweight work.
  • dklmiller
    I will definitely look that up. Thank you!
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Your body can offer a lot in terms of resistance training. Pushups, planks, lunges, squats, V-ups, leg lifts, bicycle crunches, bridges, side-plank-reach-throughs, balance work...seriously, there’s so much you can do. YouTube probably has a ton of no-equipment strength workouts. Browse! :)
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    For something fun try Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home dvd's. I have been doing her walking workouts since 2008. She incorporates cardio and strength training.
  • dklmiller
    @shadow2soul and @FlyingMolly I will definitely be browsing today! I don’t know why I didn’t think of that!
  • dklmiller
    Thank you @PAnn1 I will look it up!
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    You can preview a whole pile of workouts, including Leslie Sanson's, at collagevideo.com.
  • dklmiller
    Thank you that’s awesome!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Links to & discussion of many strength programs here, including beginner & bodyweight ones:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    I like Fitness Blender workouts too. 5 lb weights aren’t too expensive at Target but you can use things at home too or start with body weight. I ended up getting the PowerBlocks up to 24lbs for $140 after the 5lbs weren’t enough. I figured it was the same as 3 months of gym membership anyway. So maybe something to save for if you think you want more weight eventually.
  • dklmiller
    I’m planning on getting some weights next month definitely an investment to a healthier future! Thank you!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    edited February 2018
    dklmiller wrote: »
    @malibu927 I’m considering intermittent fasting to create a deficit as I find it easier to eat less when I wait to eat till a few hours after I wake up

Just to clarify - Intermittent Fasting doesn't put you into a deficit. It's simply putting all your calories into a smaller window of eating, and fasting the remainder of the day. Eg...Eat everything between Noon and 8pm...then fast until noon the next day. You still eat the same number of calories in the 8 hour window that you would in a full day.

That being said a deficit is easily created by either increasing your activity level and while eating normally, or decreasing your calorie intake, while maintaining your same daily lifestyle.

Most people find it easiest to do a little from Column A, and a little from Column B.
  • wnybubba
    wnybubba Posts: 3 Member
    Resistance Bands are inexpensive and provide and easy solution. I also belong to SparkPeople(.com) - they have a nice "learning" page and another with workout videos. Helps give you some direction *and* to do the exercise correctly <-- key to getting the most out of it and not hurting yourself.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    edited February 2018
    Craigslist/garage sale strategies can be a good way to pick up weights at lower expense, too. Sadly, some people give up pretty fast, and sell them. Not us dedicated MFP-ers, though. ;)
  • The_Ta
    The_Ta Posts: 59 Member
    Oh...don’t forget to check thrift stores and garage sales when you feel the need to get equipment like weights, band, or kettlebells.