Oatmeal

Options
I am having trouble staying within calories. Is there anything that is good on oatmeal with fewer calories than butter?

Replies

• kriscleag
    kriscleag Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just stopped putting butter on my oatmeal and I don't miss it.
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I mix up "on whey" protein brand from Costco (with about 6oz cold water) in a bowl, add atablespoon of unsweetened Cocoa powder and put my cooked oats in that... So good I eat it every morning! I used to add half a banana too but it's not needed.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Milk?

I've never put butter on oatmeal, how much do you use? And how low cal are you looking for?

I usually have 44 grams of oats, a quarter cup of 2% milk and a half cup of blueberries (or a banana if I'm out of berries). Sometimes I'll put a teaspoon of peanut butter instead of milk. Never more than @ 300 cals.

You could top it with a soft boiled egg.

Some people like oats with protein powder.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    1 cup dry oats is about 300 cals.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    A little salt.
    Two tablespoons of yogurt.
    Alternatively, one could use cinnamon or nutmeg or pumpkin spice.
  • caiteh86
    caiteh86 Posts: 243 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Oats are my absolute favourite breakfast - I eat them before I head to the gym. They keep me full for a few hours and provide me with tons of energy!

1/3 cup dry steel cut oats (quaker quick cooking kind)
    1 cup of water
    1.tbsp natural peanut butter ( mix into the oats while cooking)...once cooked I top with:

1/2 cup unsweetened cashew milk
    Lots of cinnamon
    Liquid stevia to sweeten

All for around 300 cals. So good.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    caiteh86 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I find oatmeal high calorie, without any crap on it. Like people wondering why they're hungry when they ate oatmeal with 600 calories that literally can be eaten in 3 bites.

That said...maybe 10g of protein powder.

600 cals worth of Eoats? That's a LOT of oats....my steel cut oats gave 170 cals in a serving and that's plenty for me.

I'm talking about people who dump nuts and toppings on top.

170 calories of oats would do absolutely nothing for me. I wish. I do thing oatmeal tastes good. I won't touch it.
  • browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I cook 40 grams of oats in 1 cup of water with a touch of cinnamon a touchbof vanilla and half a cup of frozen blueberries then I top it with 1/4 cup 2% milk and 12 grams (about 1 tbsp) of brown sugar. Comes in at 350 calories and it's delicious and keeps a me full til lunch.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I find oatmeal high calorie, without any crap on it. Like people wondering why they're hungry when they ate oatmeal with 600 calories that literally can be eaten in 3 bites.

600 cals worth of Eoats? That's a LOT of oats....my steel cut oats gave 170 cals in a serving and that's plenty for me.

170 calories of oats would do absolutely nothing for me. I wish. I do thing oatmeal tastes good. I won't touch it.

Yeah, oatmeal seems to be Jeckyl or Hyde. Either it sticks to your ribs for hours, or it speeds right through you and laughs at you while your stomach growls.

ahahaha that's me! Same with bagels.
  • caiteh86
    caiteh86 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Yeah, oatmeal seems to be Jeckyl or Hyde. Either it sticks to your ribs for hours, or it speeds right through you and laughs at you while your stomach growls.

I find that to be true with regular old rolled oats...but I've been onto steel cut for the past little while and they're sooo much better in terms of satiety (as well as taste really). Esp when I add a bit of protein (natural PB).
  • bbell1985
    Options

I find that to be true with regular old rolled oats...but I've been onto steel cut for the past little while and they're sooo much better in terms of satiety (as well as taste really). Esp when I add a bit of protein (natural PB).

Steel cut oats are good. I just can't justify that many calories in the morning, especially coming from carbs. Maybe I'll try oats as a pre-workout someday.
  • pamfin
    pamfin Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have overnight oats most mornings. I usually use 40-45g oats, some yogurt or Quark, either fresh or dried fruit depending on what I've got in. It mostly comes to around 300 calories but then I don't have anything until lunchtime. If I'm making it as hot porridge, I'd use half milk and half water and stir in some stewed apple with raisins and cinnamon. I don't have that very often though because it's too much of a faff in the morning.
  • joelchmielak1
    joelchmielak1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Pb2
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Have you tried butter sprays? I can't believe it's not butter is one that has 0 calories but I'm not sure about fat and other bad stuff.
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    Options

I totally second this.
    I could easily eat 600 cals of oatmeal and not be full, which is unfortunate because it’s so convenient and I do like the taste. Eggs and veggies on the other hand I would be full for hours.
    Personal preference I guess!