Keto Failure

Options
Help! I have been on keto diet, following the dietdoctor.com. Started Jan. 1 and have followed it to a t. I have only lost 2 lbs. which I gain and lose again every week. When I say that I have followed to a t, I have not strayed at all. So now I am ready to quit and try something else. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Are you in ketosis? Are you in a calorie deficit? I mean, the deficit is what is important if you want to lose weight. I could get into ketosis and be in maintenance easily.
  • opalastrophel
    opalastrophel Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Keto might just not be right for your body. I did it for awhile and saw really unimpressive results and my athletic performance suffered - but I have an endocrine/metabolic disorder and I'm insulin resistant. Whatever's going on in there has responded well to my eating more, but whole, grains (probably the magnesium) and my body fat is finally dropping again.

If you're not enjoying it, there are other ways!
  • newjeans150
    newjeans150 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Are you in ketosis? Are you in a calorie deficit? I mean, the deficit is what is important if you want to lose weight. I could get into ketosis and be in maintenance easily.

bbell, the dietdoctor site said do not worry about calories, so I followed their menus exactly eating the portion I was supposed to. I did not log at all. I think I will try logging. I just joined mfp last night out of sheer frustration. Maybe this will help. Thanks.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    You need to eat less calories than you burn for weight loss. Keto is just a way to get into a calorie deficit but there's nothing magical about it. Welcome to MFP! Enter in your info, log your food intake (using a food scale) and watch the weight loss happen.
  • newjeans150
    Options
    Keto might just not be right for your body. I did it for awhile and saw really unimpressive results and my athletic performance suffered - but I have an endocrine/metabolic disorder and I'm insulin resistant. Whatever's going on in there has responded well to my eating more, but whole, grains (probably the magnesium) and my body fat is finally dropping again.

If you're not enjoying it, there are other ways!

I am debating trying just low carb healthy eating. I do have Hashimoto's which I believe is hindering me. Also thinking the dairy may not be my friend. I am going to stop the dairy for 30 days then try it out and see the results. So frustrating. Thanks.
  • Shugahhfatt
    Shugahhfatt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    keto aint for everyone...i know lots of people who tried keto and then found the magic...try keeping track and keep your carbs low below 200 grams...yes this is low
  • Irishsquid62
    Irishsquid62 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Keto is great but low carb calories are still calories. Need to be in calorie deficit.
  • NoraMich84
    NoraMich84 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I have been eating Keto for a few months and agree with the other's it is no magic weight loss, it just allows me to eat less calories and feel good (no headaches -- huge plus). When I first started I did luse a few dietdoctor recipes and because fat is very calorie dense a lot of those recipes were really high in calories. If you were eating them 3 times a day, I could see why you might not loose anything. After entering your info into MFP see how many calories they give you and log your food (it gets easier over time). If you find you can stick to your calorie goals and feel good eating Keto or low carb great, but if is hard to stay within your calorie goals and you feel crappy by all means eat all the foods just watch the calories. Calorie (in most cases) is king!
  • Laurafayw
    Laurafayw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Help! I have been on keto diet, following the dietdoctor.com. Started Jan. 1 and have followed it to a t. I have only lost 2 lbs. which I gain and lose again every week. When I say that I have followed to a t, I have not strayed at all. So now I am ready to quit and try something else. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Hey there. I sometimes use dietdoctor for recipes - on one of the videos he does say something about not eating too much of a good thing - especially, as I recall, "moreish" things like nuts and cream. In other words - make sure you include them but still don't overdo the calories!

I think the idea is that you train your body to eat until sated so you shouldn''t need to count calories in the long term (also lack of sugar crash leads to less hunger in the main) but I do think many of us need to learn what sated actually is - it's not "stuffed" and that is a bit of a challenge if you've been a carb-lover. The portions on there are quite big I find.

I am doing keto and tracking in MFP at the same time to keep in calorie deficit, despite the nuts and cream, and after a slow start the weight is just dropping off me now. I find I don't need massive portions.
  • newjeans150
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will definately figure out doing the calorie deficit then logging it all. I don't think I will stay with the Keto, just do as recommended a few times and eat what I like, I do know I need to stay low carb at least. I do exercise so I will take that into account when doing a deficit. I am grateful for all your ideas. :)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I just listened to this podcast on Ketogenic diets yesterday. If you are truly interested in this way of eating, I highly suggest you listen. No matter what way of eating you choose, a calorie deficit is a MUST for weight loss. Period.

http://www.irakinutrition.com/podcast/podcast-with-dr-brad-dieter-1/
  • Resistive
    Resistive Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

bbell, the dietdoctor site said do not worry about calories, so I followed their menus exactly eating the portion I was supposed to. I did not log at all. I think I will try logging. I just joined mfp last night out of sheer frustration. Maybe this will help. Thanks.

If it says do not worry about calories but tells you to stick to certain portions?!?! Huh?
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I’ve done Atkins and then Atkins when it started letting you subtract fiber from your total carbs, so you got more berries and some other low carb options besides meat and cheese. I would lose a lot (10 lbs or so) the first two weeks from water weight but weight loss stops after that unless you watch your portions. Usually ketosis will suppress your appetite and you will start naturally eating less and less, but if it doesn’t you won’t lose weight after the initial water weight. I’m not a fan of low carb diets. Leaving out food groups left me feeling deprived and I couldn’t keep doing it for the rest of my life and gained all the weight back pretty quickly when I added back carbs.
  • netbags18
    netbags18 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am 1 week 5 days into the diet doctor 2 week challenge. Didn’t follow it to a t but did lose 1.2kg.
    I find that I’m nearly always hungry so obviously I’m doing something wrong.
    I have taken up having my coffee black.
    I have actually noticed my sugar cravings have reduced but I’m still craving bread, not so much other carbs. I usually only eat grain bread but yeah just really missing having say a slice of toast with my weekend breakfast or a sanga for lunch.
    I really couldn’t be bothered making my own keto bread.
    So I’m going to just keep trying to keep my carb intake low
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Laurafayw wrote: »
    I think the idea is that you train your body to eat until sated so you shouldn''t need to count calories in the long term (also lack of sugar crash leads to less hunger in the main) but I do think many of us need to learn what sated actually is - it's not "stuffed" and that is a bit of a challenge if you've been a carb-lover. The portions on there are quite big I find.

That kind of theory frustrates me, as it makes assumptions that are definitely not true for everyone.

I'm pretty satisfied on keto, but also on low carb (non keto), and on a healthy, nutrition conscious non low carb diet. I did keto with lots of veg, some nuts, I think there are ways I could have done it where I would have been less sated. I can very easily overeat cheese -- I'd kicked that and learned to moderate cheese well before trying keto (I had already lost my weight when I decided to experiment with it), but if I had not, and if I'd actively added into my diet MORE high fat meats and dairy and oil in the coffee (I understand that's only a minority thing and I never did it when doing keto, since I like coffee black), I could easily see exceeding reasonable calories for weight loss (or even gaining), especially if I did not naturally have a sense of how high cal foods are (which many of us of course do).

So for me the idea that one would not overeat on keto is just not true -- I didn't find it would require less counting for me. When I had lots to lose, maybe, but when I had lots to lose I don't think counting on any way of eating would have really been necessary -- cutting out snacks and thinking about portions would have been sufficient.

Also the idea that sugar crashes lead to hunger and that people overeat due to hunger and have messed up satiety signals due to carbs are all simply false for me, and I think for many people.

This is not aimed at you, but at what's reported from the site.

That aside, I think keto can be a helpful way to control calories and feel satisfied on fewer calories. I don't think it works for everyone (as the right diet for them), I preferred just low carb (around 90-120), and am not even doing that right now, but I do think it can work for plenty of people.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    OP, if you feel like just focusing on eating healthfully and low carb, not keto, is what you want to do, I think you should try it, but log.

When the site says don't count and then gives a meal plan with portions, it's basically counting for you, but the problem is that it might not be the right amount for you and if it's assume you shouldn't eat everything it should be clear about that -- and for many of us eating everything we put on our plates is a MUCH BIGGER problem for overeating than hunger. Totally was for me, and what worked for me was using my mind to determine the right amount to eat, not my eyes, and telling myself I would trust it was the right amount for a while, and finding that, hmm, it really was the right amount and once I got used to my new habits I was not hungry. This, for me (not everyone), had little to do with macros, although I think getting adequate protein is important.

Anyway, when I did low carb and also when I tried keto, I did not use recipes (I hate using recipes) or meal plans (same), and I dislike any site telling you you need their (paid for?) meal plan or recipes. I actually think keto is a really easy way to eat if you like it -- find a low carb breakfast (I did 2 egg omelet with vegetables) or skip breakfast if you prefer, and eat meat/eggs + vegetables with whatever spices and added fat you want. If you are low on cals/fat, add in avocado, nuts, cheese, remember you can use olive oil in dressings and eat chicken with skin on it, so on.