How to Make Greek Yogurt and Cottage Cheese to Taste good?

Options
13»

Replies

• abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    For me, I had to find a flavor of Greek yogurt I liked. I can't stand it plain. But, coconut, chocolate and cherry-on-the-bottom are tasty and make nice treats. As for cottage cheese, I hated it until I found a good brand that wasn't watery. I top it with frozen blueberries. Yum! Another idea- try and see if you can find quark. It's not as sour as Greek yogurt and generally has more protein. There's only one grocery store in my area that sells it so I stock up.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The best way to use 0% greek yogurt really is to eat it with roasted potatoes. .

really ... do you just spoon it on is it seasoned first, or mix it with the potatoes and bake or eat the potatoes, then the yogurt as a dessert ???
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    The best way to use 0% greek yogurt really is to eat it with roasted potatoes. .

really ... do you just spoon it on is it seasoned first, or mix it with the potatoes and bake or eat the potatoes, then the yogurt as a dessert ???

Ya just use it like you would sour cream.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    If this was posted above and I missed it, forgive me...
    Has anyone mixed PB2 in their plain greek yogurt?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »

Use as sour cream.

I don't do baked potatoes often, but if you do crazyravr's method would work. I chop up potatoes (with the peel still on, of course), and roast them for 30 minutes or so (whenever they are done). Then I'd normally have the yogurt on my plate and use it kind of like a dip, although I'd eat anything left over.

Cottage cheese and 0% greek yogurt are both savory foods to me (I also like putting some greek yogurt on an omelet or on the side and dipping -- great because a 2-egg veggie omelet plus 0% greek yogurt adds up to the perfect amount of protein for me). ;-) 2% greek yogurt (I favor Fage) is my preference to mix with fruit.

This could all be very weird, admittedly. ;-)
  • Katimira
    Katimira Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    For a salty treat, I put salsa and (if fat macros allow) avocado in cottage cheese. If you're really looking to amp the protein, add some deli chicken or turkey in there.

I use them both in oatmeal cakes, as per this recipe: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/recipe-blueberry-cheesecake-baked-oatmeal/
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I like adding vegetables like onion, peppers, radish, tomato to cottage cheese with some paprika, pepper, and some mayo.
    Add spices or herbs to cottage cheese.
    Greek yogurt I buy is honey flavored. It tastes okay alone but also good with things like cinnamon or nutmeg, blueberries, dried cranberries, prunes, granola, nuts.
    I use plain Greek yogurt to make things like tzatzilki sauce which has cucumber, garlic, dill, lemon juice and pepper.
    Use it in smoothie recipes sometimes for my dd. There are a lot of smoothie recipes.
    Some people use yogurt as a substitute for sour cream.
    I have used Greek yogurt in muffins. https://www.lecremedelacrumb.com/lemon-poppyseed-muffins

Eat other things for protein.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

I mix pb2 and some chocolate protein powder (and splenda) into my greek yogurt or cottage cheese.
  • don9992
    don9992 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine anything that could make cottage cheese taste good.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options

Yes. Add sliced bananas and chia as a reasonable substitute for a peanut butter and banana sandwich on crunchy sprouted wheat toast.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    don9992 wrote: »

Melt it over vegetables. Add garlic and herbs.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    beaglady wrote: »
    don9992 wrote: »

Melt it over vegetables. Add garlic and herbs.

I really don't think I want to see melted cottage cheese...dear God it's hard enough to look at and its natural state
  • voegele13
    voegele13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Frozen dark sweet cherries (thawed out first of course). The juice from the cherries mixes well with the greek yogurt and it almost tastes like you are having dessert! And cherries and super good for you, as research is showing more and more.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

I mix pb2 and some chocolate protein powder (and splenda) into my greek yogurt or cottage cheese.

That is exactly what I do, except I use stevia and normally mash a banana in to get my fruit for the day.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions for adding flavors!
  • Frankie_Fan
    Frankie_Fan Posts: 562 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    My sister likes to put syrup on her cottage cheese. I've never tried it since I like mine plain, but there's an idea.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese on a salad, or with a banana sliced into it topped with a tablespoon of chopped pecans and cinnamon.
    I eat Fage 0, sometimes with PB2 mixed in and topped with fresh berries.
  • tibby1971
    tibby1971 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    oh yeah forgot, greek yogourt with horseradish replaces mayo quite nicely!

I’m going to have to try this

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    If nobody has said it yet *open yogurt/cottage cheese tub, grab spoon, eat*

I hate them mixed with anything. Sweet and cottage cheese makes me gag. I love them plain though!

Try cayenne sprinkled on your cottage cheese. Or dried fruit and chia seeds with your Greek yogurt. That is as far as I would be willing to alter them.
  • nickhinds88
    nickhinds88 Posts: 44 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    1 cup (227 grams) plain fat free greek yogurt mixed with 8 grams sugar free fat free instant pudding mix, flavour of your choice and a packet of splenda.The longer you mix the thicker it gets.
    150 calories