Help I'm lost

Options
harley79
harley79 Posts: 79 Member
Hi I'm back yet once again I'm 47 and I'm a mom and a wife I weigh 313 and just can't seem to stick to anything. I have done keto,Paleo,whole 30, WW blah blah I'm just starting to feel hopeless. I'm so confused as to what works I heard calories in vs calories out is all a myth

Tia Tammy

Replies

• adriana07m
    adriana07m Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can do it just change ur diet and workout moderately and you will see the pounds come off don’t give up set yourself a goal like lose a certain amount of weight for your 50th Bday just don’t give in
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Read the sticky post at the top of the boards with the Most Helpful Posts. Put your stats in and start logging your food and hitting your goal. As you log, start to learn which foods fill you up, make you feel good, where you waste calories. Fit in your fave foods. Ask for help here when you need it. Good luck!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    ^^this is good advice. Log everything you eat or drink for a few days. Look at your log. What was really enjoyable and satisfying that didn't "cost" a lot of calories? What calories can you cut without cutting enjoyment? Make small adjustments. Don't try layering more changes on until the old changes become habit.

I'm a big believer that small things done consistently and faithfully over time make the biggest differences in life. Changing a lot of big things at once is a recipe for burn out.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Calories in/out is certainly NOT a myth. It works. It has worked for tens of 1000's of people.
    Start consistently and accurately logging every single thing you eat, stay within yours allotted calories and weight loss WILL follow.

If you are finding your calorie allowance insufficient because you have set your calories to 2lb per week, change the settings to lose 1.5 or 1lb a week and just be prepared for the weight to come off but more slowly. Find something that you can stick to and success will follow. Be patient because its not going to happen in a few months, its going to take a few years but just think, that few years will seem a like short spell when you think in terms of the rest of your life being a healthier weight and hopefully more active.

All the best.
  • harley79
    harley79 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Jojidjude um you said everything I was thinking maybe we can be Fitness pal buddies even if it's for 5 min lol lol jk livingtheleandream is right it is a hassle but in the big scheme of things it really isn't -
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    harley79 wrote: »
    Jojidjude um you said everything I was thinking maybe we can be Fitness pal buddies even if it's for 5 min lol lol jk livingtheleandream is right it is a hassle but in the big scheme of things it really isn't -

Honestly, weighing your food isn't a hassle even in the small scheme of things! It might take a bit of practice to get the hang of finding the right entries and recording accurately, but throwing a bowl on a scale and reading the number? Easy peasy!

There are some fantastic posts stickied around here. Read them and rejoice! Because this isn't half as hard as you seem to think it is :smile:
  • consumone
    consumone Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am so with you and sending a friend request we are in the same boat -= I have tried it all and still fighting. So lets help each other.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    harley79 wrote: »
    Hi I'm back yet once again I'm 47 and I'm a mom and a wife I weigh 313 and just can't seem to stick to anything. I have done keto,Paleo,whole 30, WW blah blah I'm just starting to feel hopeless. I'm so confused as to what works I heard calories in vs calories out is all a myth

Tia Tammy

You probably can't stick to those diets because you don't like them and/or you are pursuing too steep of a calorie deficit in them. CICO solves both problems. You set custom calorie goal based on your personal stats and by choosing a reasonable, desirable weekly weight loss goal for you. At 313 lbs, 2 lbs a week is reasonable (a 1000 calorie deficit/day). But is that desirable to you? Would your willingness to stick with it increase if you only aim for 1.5 lbs/week (750 calorie deficit)? 1 lb/week (500 calorie deficit)? Then do that. Sure it will take longer, but here's another little secret- weight management takes forever. Literally. You'll be doing it the rest of your life, not just until the extra weight is gone, so do it in the easiest way possible for you.

Then there's the diet itself. Again, the key is to make it the easiest & simplest *for you*. Aim for a balanced diet that doesn't deprive you of things you love (although some have certain *trigger* foods that initially they may find easier just to avoid, but you don't want to build an entire diet that way). Focus on accurate logging (there are posts on this in the stickies). Over time, you will learn what foods are best at keeping you happy & satisfied and which ones just don't seem to be worth the calories anymore. You will come to appreciate that this isn't a short-term weight loss project but a life-long goal that has lots of room for error, so one day of lost focus or a splurge for a special event is no reason to throw in the towel.

CICO is for you! :)