Help I'm lost

Replies

• iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    To the OP: You have to REALLY want to lose weight before you will make the changes you need to lose weight. Even starting with very small changes will help. Don't bring food that you don't want to eat into the house. What one junk food would cut the most from your calories if you gave it up? Just something to think about. I wish you well.
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Jingsi84 wrote: »
    There is some research that shows that your metabolism can slow eating at a deficit, but it doesn't stop, and eating at maintenance for a while seems to reverse this.

I think it would also be useful to consider how much slowing we're talking about here. I haven't seen the research but I anticipate it would be less than 300 calories a day, tops. So, one muffin or so. Not a big deal.

• Jingsi84
    Jingsi84 Posts: 127 Member
    edited February 2018
    Jingsi84 wrote: »
    There is some research that shows that your metabolism can slow eating at a deficit, but it doesn't stop, and eating at maintenance for a while seems to reverse this.

I think it would also be useful to consider how much slowing we're talking about here. I haven't seen the research but I anticipate it would be less than 300 calories a day, tops. So, one muffin or so. Not a big deal.

That amount is about right for people who just restricted calories and people on a very low calorie diet. The people who lost with exercise and less restriction actually showed less decrease in their metabolism.

ETA: Although in the most current study they applied about 33% calorie restriction for two weeks, and then maintenance for two weeks (over a period of something like 30 weeks w/out exercise as I understand it) showed that the reduction in metabolism completely reversed. So diet breaks FTW.
  • adambrown01
    adambrown01 Posts: 24 Member
    JoJidJude wrote: »
    ...maybe I should contemplate surgery...

Please don't. This follows the same fallacy as all of the named diets. You are being tricked into losing weight by taking a short cut. Your body will be losing weight because you have surgically altered your intestines. Then what happens? You still don't know how to diet after you have the band taken out and you gain your weight back. My own mother has had 3 surgeries to lose weight and she gained it back every time. Now, FINALLY, she is just dieting and counting calories and she is down 50 pounds and keeping it off by being smart and not lazy.
    JoJidJude wrote: »
    maybe I should stop having tantrums and put on my big girl pants and do something!

Yep. You should. Seems to me you know in the back of your head what you should do. You just don't want to do it. Educate yourself about what you're getting into. You know how to use MFP to log your food but you get upset when using it because.... why? Because you're eating really complicated meals with a ton of ingredients and it takes a really long time to log your food and create recipes? Well, eat simpler recipes then. Is it because you're weighing your food and portioning sizes and you spend hours and hours in the kitchen? Well, eat simpler recipes then.

The trend I'm seeing here from your post is that you lose your patience. Then be smart about why you are failing and find a way to keep going. Ask for help instead of giving up. Also please quit subscribing to fad diets - I promise they will let you down.

(PS: sorry for taking a post to detract from the OP).
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    harley79 wrote: »
    I have done keto,Paleo,whole 30, WW blah blah

Things that have taken me a long time to learn:
    • Forgive yourself for screwing up.
    • It's okay to crave and eat things that are bad for you (just dont do it regularly)
    • Weight loss takes a long time.
    • Motivation is fleeting. Fight through your desperation.
    • You WILL GAIN WEIGHT BACK. It's ok. We all do. It's ok. It's ok. It's ok. You can lose it again. Don't give up.

^^ this apart from the last one. I lost weight 5 years ago and never regained. So no, not everyone regains.

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member

• It's okay to crave and eat things that are bad for you (just dont do it regularly)
    • You WILL GAIN WEIGHT BACK. It's ok. We all do. It's ok. It's ok. It's ok. You can lose it again. Don't give up.

^^ this apart from the last one. I lost weight 5 years ago and never regained. So no, not everyone regains.

I think it is more general as in sometimes even with the best plan ever you gain back a few pounds now and again, ehether it is a temporary setback, or just that time of month, it is inevitable. But don't be discouraged when that happens, because if you stick to your nee habuts it will fix itself
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Hi I'm back yet once again I'm 47 and I'm a mom and a wife I weigh 313 and just can't seem to stick to anything. I have done keto,Paleo,whole 30, WW blah blah I'm just starting to feel hopeless. I'm so confused as to what works I heard calories in vs calories out is all a myth

Tia Tammy

The people who say CICO is a myth fall into two basic camps:

1) Those connected to weight loss plans where there's money to be made attempting to confuse people so they think they need complicated advice/guidance to lose weight.

2) People who mistakenly think CICO is "diet". It's not. It's a math equation. Nothing more. Nothing less.
    CI = CO is maintenance
    CI > CO is weight gain
    CI < CO is weight loss

How you achieve the calorie balance is where the idea of "dieting" comes in to play in terms of particular ways of eating (CI) and/or exercising (CO).

The math equation gets shortened to CICO for simplicity and because the middle symbol you add will depend on your goals.

I also notice that CICO often gets confused with "Calorie Counting" which is something totally different. It's simply a way of determining your CI relative to your CO. You certainly don't need to count calories to lose weight; most people never do.

But I for one (and there are many others here) find it very helpful in ensuring that we stay in a calorie deficit to lose weight. I personally have lost 35 lbs eating whatever I want within my calorie goals. You may or may not want to employ a particular WOE (way of eating) to get there. It depends on what you enjoy and can sustain over the long term.

I hope this somewhat messy explanation helps a bit.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Hi I'm back yet once again I'm 47 and I'm a mom and a wife I weigh 313 and just can't seem to stick to anything. I have done keto,Paleo,whole 30, WW blah blah I'm just starting to feel hopeless. I'm so confused as to what works I heard calories in vs calories out is all a myth

Tia Tammy

The people who say CICO is a myth fall into two basic camps:

1) Those connected to weight loss plans where there's money to be made attempting to confuse people so they think they need complicated advice/guidance to lose weight.

2) People who mistakenly think CICO is "diet". It's not. It's a math equation. Nothing more. Nothing less.
    CI = CO is maintenance
    CI > CO is weight gain
    CI < CO is weight loss

How you achieve the calorie balance is where the idea of "dieting" comes in to play in terms of particular ways of eating (CI) and/or exercising (CO).

The math equation gets shortened to CICO for simplicity and because the middle symbol you add will depend on your goals.

I also notice that CICO often gets confused with "Calorie Counting" which is something totally different. It's simply a way of determining your CI relative to your CO. You certainly don't need to count calories to lose weight; most people never do.

But I for one (and there are many others here) find it very helpful in ensuring that we stay in a calorie deficit to lose weight. I personally have lost 35 lbs eating whatever I want within my calorie goals. You may or may not want to employ a particular WOE (way of eating) to get there. It depends on what you enjoy and can sustain over the long term.

I hope this somewhat messy explanation helps a bit.

I didn't think it was messy at all... quite good, in fact :)

Out of laziness, I have referred to CICO as if it were a "plan", but it's not- it's just the mathematics of how weight loss occurs. If keto is a person's dream diet, there's no reason they shouldn't use it to accomplish the math, but most people find it easier to focus on the math alone and eat however they want.
  • adambrown01
    adambrown01 Posts: 24 Member
    Momepro wrote: »

I think it is more general as in sometimes even with the best plan ever you gain back a few pounds now and again, ehether it is a temporary setback, or just that time of month, it is inevitable. But don't be discouraged when that happens, because if you stick to your nee habuts it will fix itself

Thanks for correctly interpreting my vague bullet point. ;)
  • harley79
    harley79 Posts: 79 Member
    the body is not a calculatorand yes you cal lose weight at first eating less but it crushes your metabolism...if I did what mfp suggested I would gain weight! lol

So what do you suggest
  • harley79
    harley79 Posts: 79 Member
    try2again wrote: »
    the body is not a calculatorand yes you cal lose weight at first eating less but it crushes your metabolism...if I did what mfp suggested I would gain weight! lol

OP, I just want to point out that the "woo" button is a bad thing- basically unscientific- not "Woohoo! What an awesome comment!" ;)

Can someone post that chart that breaks down how different diets cause you to lose weight?

Let me know if someone post the chart
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    try2again wrote: »

OP, I just want to point out that the "woo" button is a bad thing- basically unscientific- not "Woohoo! What an awesome comment!" ;)

Can someone post that chart that breaks down how different diets cause you to lose weight?

Let me know if someone post the chart

Look at @try2again's post, 16 posts up from yours.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited February 2018

So what do you suggest

I am not the poster in question, but maybe I can address this a little bit.

First off, the idea that a person won't lose weight or will even gain weight due to eating too few calories (an idea commonly referred to as "starvation mode") is bogus. This is why this post has received so many "woos".

However, prolonged calorie restriction does impact our hormone levels and this, as well as the fact that as we become smaller, we burn fewer calories, can negatively impact our metabolism to a degree, causing our weight loss to slow down. It will not prevent a person who is in a true calorie deficit from losing weight, nor cause a person to gain weight. The remedy for this is what is known as a diet break. This is not a careless, free-for-all kind of break, but a week or 2 eating at maintenance calories in order to restore hormone levels. If you would like to know more, here is the link. The subheading "Why Take a Full Diet Break: Physiological Reasons" explains it in more detail:

https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/

However, I'm guessing this is actually more than you want or need to know right now. All you really need to know is that losing weight requires that the calories you take in from food need to be less than what you burn in a given day through your normal activities and any purposeful exercise. Fill out your MFP profile, choose a *reasonable* weekly weight loss goal, and choose the activity level that applies to your typical day, not including exercise. Eat the calories MFP gives you, ideally from a balanced diet that keeps you satiated & happy. Focus on accurate logging (weighing & measuring what you eat, choosing accurate database entries, and utilizing the recipe builder for homemade dishes). If you choose to exercise, log it and eat back about 50% of the calories it gives you (calorie burns in the database tend to be inflated). That's it. After you've been at it for a few months, maybe come back and revisit the diet break idea. :)
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Surgery isn't the answer. I had surgery in 2001, lost 70 pounds and gained to my highest weight over the years to 317 pounds. I got back down to 225 by seeing a nutritionist and then gained back to 275 pounds where I have been for a few years. I am working on getting back on track and have been slowly losing. I am down about 9 pounds so far. As someone said, anything worth fighting for doesn't come easy. There is no easy way to do this.