Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why stress makes your fat - Article on the BBC website.

Options
2»

Replies

• KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Stress ruins your adrenal glands which ruins your thyroid which ruins your metabolism which makes me cry cause i gain in my tummy when im stressed uggghhh. But the good news is that a change of your environment can make a huge difference in stress levels
    Hmmm. Stress causes me to call Domino's for a pepperoni pizza, which causes me to gain weight, which ruins my weight loss goals. I don't blame my glands.

After several traumatic events, I developed PTSD and was diagnosed with low cortisol which is a symptom of Addisons Disease. There are medications provided. Adrenal burnout is a thing.
  • jaquieduck
    jaquieduck Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hmmm well, I am here because I stess ate gummy worms and chips during my master's program and gained ten pounds.
    If you can convince yourself to take a walk, it will both burn some calories, and relieve your stress a bit. I also drink rooibos tea all evening now. It's very relaxing and also takes the place of mindless snacking.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I absolutely agree with this and see so many people getting lost in the weeds over what they are clearly stressing about, but instead identifying the wrong root cause, such as CICO.

I am a huge proponent of meditation and focused breathing exercises. In the military this was termed "warrior breathing" and was a simple 5 count cycle - inhale for 5 count through the nose, hold for 5, exhale for 5 count through the mouth, hold for 5, repeat. This puts the body in an optimal state, allows you to think clearly and provides time for reflection and focus of purpose.

Stress is such a nebulous term. Most people are unaware that they are over-stressed as they have become used to it or they have no knowledge on how to de-stress. Many would think taking time to de-stress would actually increase stress as this is taking time away from something else...and the cycle spirals out of control.

Dang, I wish I had known this (bold) when some of us got in a . . . discussion . . . with some guy about mindfulness meditation or things like the Herbert Benson Relaxation Response exercise (focus on breathing and say a word like "one" on the exhale), as a stress relief method.

Guy insisted that all such meditation was inherently aimed at wiping out desire, thus ineffably, insidiously Buddhist (or Taoist, or some other such evil, destructive foreign thing, I guess). <eye roll>. There was some kind of Christian meditation he recommended instead, I think. (For clarity: I have nothing against Christian meditation, for those who prefer it).

Maybe if some former military guy had suggested "warrior breathing" instead of a li'l ol' lady suggesting "Relaxation Response", the conversation would've gone differently. Or not. ;)

Obviously, I couldn't agree more about the positive value for stress relief, among other benefits.

I quite like Taizé style prayer, and there's also Ignatian spirituality for those of a christian persuasion.

But actually - I find exercise is the best for me, so no matter how stressed and busy I get, I only stop running when I'm ill or it's icy out (I'm too good at falling over). Those knocked me out for a few weeks recently and I got noticeably more stressed.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Centering prayer, I suppose.

I do both that and mindful meditation and find that they are complimentary.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    asviles wrote: »
    I absolutely agree with this and see so many people getting lost in the weeds over what they are clearly stressing about, but instead identifying the wrong root cause, such as CICO.

I am a huge proponent of meditation and focused breathing exercises. In the military this was termed "warrior breathing" and was a simple 5 count cycle - inhale for 5 count through the nose, hold for 5, exhale for 5 count through the mouth, hold for 5, repeat. This puts the body in an optimal state, allows you to think clearly and provides time for reflection and focus of purpose.

Stress is such a nebulous term. Most people are unaware that they are over-stressed as they have become used to it or they have no knowledge on how to de-stress. Many would think taking time to de-stress would actually increase stress as this is taking time away from something else...and the cycle spirals out of control.

Dang, I wish I had known this (bold) when some of us got in a . . . discussion . . . with some guy about mindfulness meditation or things like the Herbert Benson Relaxation Response exercise (focus on breathing and say a word like "one" on the exhale), as a stress relief method.

Guy insisted that all such meditation was inherently aimed at wiping out desire, thus ineffably, insidiously Buddhist (or Taoist, or some other such evil, destructive foreign thing, I guess). <eye roll>. There was some kind of Christian meditation he recommended instead, I think. (For clarity: I have nothing against Christian meditation, for those who prefer it).

Maybe if some former military guy had suggested "warrior breathing" instead of a li'l ol' lady suggesting "Relaxation Response", the conversation would've gone differently. Or not. ;)

Obviously, I couldn't agree more about the positive value for stress relief, among other benefits.

Ha Ha! I'll be your Huckleberry.

There is a tremendous spiritual component to this, but it happens in sync with the physical and mental status, regardless of your awareness.

Of course our objective is keeping soldiers alive - breathing is a primary concern. Teaching people the foundational skills gives them something to focus on that they can control. This simple act of engagement and control lays a great foundation for the next step.

Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday in Tombstone? :)

I'd still say I'm not spiritual, except perhaps insofar as one might say it's an abstraction used to characterize one set of emergent properties in a complex mechanistic system. ;)

Still, meditation works, in mysterious ways. I wish I were a more consistent practitioner . . . though evidently not quite enough to work at it. ;)

Huckleberry is ancient. It used to be the flower maiden's would give as tokens to their champions when their honor was challenged. To say "I'm your huckleberry" is the equivalent of saying, "I'll accept your challenge." It's used sarcastically in the movie to essentially say, "Your mouth has been writing checks and I'm here to cash them."

Tombstone is great and I hope the term isn't lost on future generations as it is just that awesome.

YES!!!

Ancient lore is never lost. It only goes in cycles. I see the pendulum swinging towards ancient lore currently. So much wisdom impacting us today, but few know the source. The liberal arts need a massive revival.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,168 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

There is a tremendous spiritual component to this, but it happens in sync with the physical and mental status, regardless of your awareness.

Of course our objective is keeping soldiers alive - breathing is a primary concern. Teaching people the foundational skills gives them something to focus on that they can control. This simple act of engagement and control lays a great foundation for the next step.

I'd still say I'm not spiritual, except perhaps insofar as one might say it's an abstraction used to characterize one set of emergent properties in a complex mechanistic system. ;)

Still, meditation works, in mysterious ways. I wish I were a more consistent practitioner . . . though evidently not quite enough to work at it. ;)

Huckleberry is ancient. It used to be the flower maiden's would give as tokens to their champions when their honor was challenged. To say "I'm your huckleberry" is the equivalent of saying, "I'll accept your challenge." It's used sarcastically in the movie to essentially say, "Your mouth has been writing checks and I'm here to cash them."

Tombstone is great and I hope the term isn't lost on future generations as it is just that awesome.

I'm grateful to be educated, and now even more appreciative of the post that started us down this line. I should've "hug"ged him. (It's OK, I'm prolly old enough to be his granny. ;) ). Maybe I did, anyway - memory's aging, too. ;)

Thanks, both.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    The BBC, both television and radio, is paid for by licence fee, which makes it our public broadcasting organisation as such it has to be unbiased, open and honest in the information it broadcasts. Obviously this is very different to the broadcasting organisations other countries allow.

Doesn't mean it's always accurate and you can't guarantee no bias because it's humans producing the shows and articles. (I'm not for or against the beeb, just clarifying).
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options

I'm grateful to be educated, and now even more appreciative of the post that started us down this line. I should've "hug"ged him. (It's OK, I'm prolly old enough to be his granny. ;) ). Maybe I did, anyway - memory's aging, too. ;)

Thanks, both.

I will never turn away hugs....and I'm 46 :)

rrn88k55dtjp.png

When I first delved into law enforcement one of my professors was a court recognized "Lethal Force Expert" and would fly around the world. He could put himself into REM sleep under an hour via meditation and be fully rested on a 2 hour flight and ready to go. I did not believe this until witnessing this myself. This really opened me up to the concept of mind/body/spirit.

I get questioned if this opposes my science foundation, but I see these and parallel disciplines. Science explores how the universe works. Spirituality/theology/philosophy explores why.

Well first of all, if you never refuse hugs, have one on me. *hug* I like giving out hugs.

Second, OMG I am so jealous of that guy. I take sleeping pills to fall asleep in a reasonable time frame and wake up at a reasonable hour. And I often still need a nap!
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    jesslla wrote: »

Thanks, both.

rrn88k55dtjp.png

When I first delved into law enforcement one of my professors was a court recognized "Lethal Force Expert" and would fly around the world. He could put himself into REM sleep under an hour via meditation and be fully rested on a 2 hour flight and ready to go. I did not believe this until witnessing this myself. This really opened me up to the concept of mind/body/spirit.

I get questioned if this opposes my science foundation, but I see these and parallel disciplines. Science explores how the universe works. Spirituality/theology/philosophy explores why.

Well first of all, if you never refuse hugs, have one on me. *hug* I like giving out hugs.

Second, OMG I am so jealous of that guy. I take sleeping pills to fall asleep in a reasonable time frame and wake up at a reasonable hour. And I often still need a nap!

All it takes is 30 years of intense focused martial arts training :)
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Thanks, both.

rrn88k55dtjp.png

(((Hug)))

Old enough to be your momma, technically, then (62). Still enough to keep the hug Pure. ;)
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Thanks, both.

rrn88k55dtjp.png

Do you meditate, regularly? Does it help?
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options

Thanks, both.

rrn88k55dtjp.png

Do you meditate, regularly? Does it help?

Me? Not yet. I just started therapy again to deal with self-sabotage issues RE: weight and she gave me a mindfulness medication app to use daily. I am told it will help.
  • AnnPT77
    edited February 2018
    Options

Thanks, both.

rrn88k55dtjp.png

(((Hug)))

Old enough to be your momma, technically, then (62). Still enough to keep the hug Pure. ;)

P.S. I still think "emergent property". I don't really believe there is a why, just an is. I find that belief soothing.
  • CSARdiver
    Options

Thanks, both.

rrn88k55dtjp.png

(((Hug)))

P.S. I still think "emergent property". I don't really believe there is a why, just an is. I find that belief soothing.

Oh now we're venturing down rabbit holes and drinking potions!

For fun I did a paper with the hypothesis that change of perception in adolescent humans is driven by bacterial syntrophy. Not having a gnotobiotic control group tanked this line of thought.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Thanks, both.

rrn88k55dtjp.png

(((Hug)))

Oh now we're venturing down rabbit holes and drinking potions!

For fun I did a paper with the hypothesis that change of perception in adolescent humans is driven by bacterial syntrophy. Not having a gnotobiotic control group tanked this line of thought.

Darned human subjects research committees probably wouldn't let you build your own, either. (BTW: Since there's no "appreciative laughter" reaction, I had to hug you again).

I once started a paper (ca. 1975) about how the formal logic of knowledge and belief applies to artificial intelligence (though I can't remember whether we were calling it it AI then & there). But it was Summer, and I got tired of taking Formal Logic III (Philosophy dept) plus one of those "statistics about statistics about statistics" things, and dropped the logic class. I did probably drink potions instead: It was the 70s, and college.

That's why you're a better man than I am: You have reasons, I have excuses. ;)

Apologies, other thread participants: That was totally off topic.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

Thanks, both.

rrn88k55dtjp.png

All it takes is 30 years of intense focused martial arts training :)

I can dissociate on cue. That's a talent too right? (Was actually helpful when I was a gymnast competing, now, not so much.....)

Oh wow never met anyone else with that issue. Thank you for sharing!