Thoughts on Intermittent Fasting

Options
I’ve had a few people recommend it to me and I’m curious but still a bit skeptical.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What makes you skeptical? The health claims, the feasibility, the necessity? Which protocol(s) is/are you contemplating?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. It can make it easier to stick to your diet for some people but it does not guarantee you'll lose weight. My husband has only eaten one meal in the evening for decades and he's been overweight all of that time. I don't start eating until late afternoon for weight control and because I rarely get hungry before then.

The only way to know if it's a good fit for you is to give it a try.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I've tried various forms of IF over the past several years. I found that for me (female), the longer fasting times day after day did not work for me over time (look up Fast 5 or OMAD). I've read that this can be more difficult for women, but in any case, it definitely was true for me. I've found that I do best by not eating until around 1pm, and stopping eating around 10pm. (look up 16/8 or 14/10 IF) I definitely still have to log and watch what I eat-- 8-10 hrs is still plenty of time to do some caloric damage! But if I eat in the morning, I eat even more all day long, because I feel hungrier throughout the day.

I have lost weight AND gained weight doing IF, but I definitely do better with it than without it. Good luck!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Most days my meal timing is identical to intermittent fasting schedules I've seen. I like to eat at 11 am and 4 pm. Sometimes I have a snack at 2 pm. Sometimes I have a small breakfast at 9 am, which still means that I'm only eating 9 am-4 pm, which is still a 7 hr window. Most IF I've seen is "eat in an 8 hr window (lots of people say noon-8 pm) and fast for 16 hrs." My normal pattern is a 5.5 hr window in which i eat and then 18.5 hrs in which I don't eat.

I didn't do this to be an IFer. I do this because it's how my schedule works out. I end work at 4 pm and like to eat a big meal that satisfies me for the rest of the evening. I go out dancing most nights at 9 pm and I don't like feeling full while I'm moving around.
  • times60
    times60 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your feedback
  • bambusa
    bambusa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was recently eating within a 1 hour window, every 24 hours. I ended up gaining a few pounds instead of losing. I did it for about 3 months. I would eat at midday only. Now, I'm using CICO and I'm losing weight again and I feel better. That's just my story.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    If IF helps you adhere to your calorie goal by scheduling your meals into a shorter time frame then go for it.

You can always give it a go and see if it helps.

I suggest the 16/8 schedule (16 hours fast and 8 hours eating).
  • MSFab08
    MSFab08 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    What makes you skeptical? The health claims, the feasibility, the necessity? Which protocol(s) is/are you contemplating?

Basically skeptical that it actually works.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    MSFab08 wrote: »

What does "it works" mean. Whether or not it works depends largely on your expectations of it.
  • MSFab08
    Options
    times60 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your feedback

Yes, thank you all.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

It doesn't 'work'. You do the 'work' by eating less than you burn. IF may or may not make that work easier for you, depending on your schedule and personality. It's just an eating schedule.
  • prestongn
    prestongn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I totally hear you... it sounded weird to me at first too. I’ve followed it now for over 2 years and have definitely appreciated the results. I’ve just done weekly, one day fasts (drinking some nutrient drinks during the day and lots of water) as opposed to the daily window of eating style of IF.
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options

It's just a method for calorie restriction, like the majority of other methods.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    TurtleTape wrote: »

It's just a method for calorie restriction, like the majority of other methods.

That's incorrect. You could say that certain IF protocols are designed around calorie restriction, but most common implementations are NOT - they are schedules for when you eat and when you fast... how much you eat is entirely up to you.
  • MSFab08
    Options

I’ve had a few people recommend it to me and I’m curious but still a bit skeptical.

I’m realizing I was too vague. I need to lose weight and a few people recommended IF. I did do research on my own, but I can’t be convinced it can help with WEIGHT-LOSS because the ones that recommended IF to me have only been on this “schedule” for less than a month.
  • jjpptt2
    edited February 2018
    Options

I’m realizing I was too vague. I need to lose weight and a few people recommended IF. I did do research on my own, but I can’t be convinced it can help with WEIGHT-LOSS because the ones that recommended IF to me have only been on this “schedule” for less than a month.

jjpptt2 wrote: »
    First off, realize that IF is a schedule, not a diet. It "dictates" when you eat, not what you eat or how much you eat.

As such, it's very possible to over eat and gain weight with IF. You still have to manage your intake. IMO, if it lines up well with your natural eating tendencies, then it's probably a good thing. If it doesn't, then it's probably only going to make things harder.

As such, IF will have no inherent impact on weight gain/loss. That strictly comes down to your calorie intake.
  • MSFab08
    Options

First off, realize that IF is a schedule, not a diet. It "dictates" when you eat, not what you eat or how much you eat.

As such, it's very possible to over eat and gain weight with IF. You still have to manage your intake. IMO, if it lines up well with your natural eating tendencies, then it's probably a good thing. If it doesn't, then it's probably only going to make things harder.

As such, IF will have no inherent impact on weight gain/loss. That strictly comes down to your calorie intake.

Thanks!
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    For me, IF is a method I use to make calorie restriction easier. But as I stated above, I still have to log and watch what/how much I eat.