Just me banging on about make up

Options
Avocado_Angel
Avocado_Angel Posts: 2,362 Member
Eyeliner. Just the word makes me recoil. Last time I applied it? Many many years ago & I looked like id been punched repeatedly in both eyes, so I decided to leave it. But I'm bored with my plain eye look & have bought estee lauder double wear zero smudge liquid eyeliner & watched a few YouTube videos.

I feel empowered & am about to step back into the world of eyeliner. If that chicka in the video can apply flawless eyeliner 'wings' then so can I! Don't get me started on eye shadow, I could actually probably be quite handy on a horror film make up set cos that's the general look I'm left with after a play about with some 'pallets'.

What's your biggest challenge when it comes to make up? How do you feel about contouring ? I would love to try it out! And whats your beauty must have make up or not, I just bought kat von D everlasting lipstick and it is nice but I ate dinner & it's kinda came off quite a lot :/ hmmmmm pretty colour though.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I would say my challenge is fake lashes, I don't do them very often because of how unpredictable they are...sometimes I get them spot on.. other times I get one and not the other, then they just mess everything up!!

Must have.. I love Kat Von D eyeliner... and my L'Oreal mascara, it uses tubes and it's the only one that stays on my eyes. For eyeshadow I love Tarte and Urban Decay palettes. Oh and my Tarte blush and Nars bronzer. I also love my Beauty Blender.. and I must have 100 brushes which each have a specific use :)
  • BoosDimples
    BoosDimples Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    I’m pretty minimalistic in my everyday make up - I simply strive to look less like the undead.
    Today I fulfilled a make up ambition- finally purchase YSL Touche eclait- I expect to look like a goddess tomorrow!

On a side note, if you like the eyelash wing look- try using a fine brush and eyeshadow of your choice. Subtle, soft and more forgiving of mistakes.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I’m pretty minimalistic in my everyday make up - I simply strive to look less like the undead.
    Today I fulfilled a make up ambition- finally purchase YSL Touche eclait- I expect to look like a goddess tomorrow!

On a side note, if you like the eyelash wing look- try using a fine brush and eyeshadow of your choice. Subtle, soft and more forgiving of mistakes.

I agree about the eyeshadow as liner - liquid liner looks harsh on me and I don't have a good eye shape for it.

If you are insecure about your makeup talents, getting a professional application can be a great way to learn.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I hope you manage to master liquid liner, I never could.

I use pencil liner and mascara daily. I am pretty picky about eye liner and got annoyed after finding something I liked twice and not being able to find it again when I ran out, so started buying Marykay. Their main products dont change much so its been nice having my favorite go to items always there.

I do foundation and blush and crap when Im gettong fancy but not every day.

I have yet to figure our a lip product that will stay for more than 5 seconds for me. I like accenting my eyes most anyways and tend toward more neutral lip color anyways so most of the time Ill just to a gloss so you cant tell its worn.
  • BoosDimples
    Options

Oh btw I must tell you something I discovered while perusing the many make up YouTube vids. Touche eclat is not a concealer, I know, take a seat. I used to use it as a concealer years ago & thought it did a great job but it's a highlighter & applying it under your eyes will apparently only highlight a problem area.

Yes, thanks. I’ll have fun playing with it tomorrow.

Yes, I’m sad like that. I don’t have much going on right now...
  • ashleyrebekah392
    ashleyrebekah392 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Estée Lauder is some good makeup. But my challenge is eyeliner, liquid eyeliner, can always get one side to look perfect and the other one I mess up so much I rub my eye till it's raw to fix it. So I just use an eyeliner brush and dip it into brown eyeshadow and smudge it on. Looks a lot more natural on me. But I use foundation, natural eyeshadow so tans and a little brown, mascara of course and In the summer bronzer. But I try to stay fairly natural most of the time. And I just use Walmart makeup, works great for me and I can afford it lol
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    Eyeliner. Just the word makes me recoil. Last time I applied it? Many many years ago & I looked like id been punched repeatedly in both eyes, so I decided to leave it. But I'm bored with my plain eye look & have bought estee lauder double wear zero smudge liquid eyeliner & watched a few YouTube videos.

I feel empowered & am about to step back into the world of eyeliner. If that chicka in the video can apply flawless eyeliner 'wings' then so can I! Don't get me started on eye shadow, I could actually probably be quite handy on a horror film make up set cos that's the general look I'm left with after a play about with some 'pallets'.

What's your biggest challenge when it comes to make up? How do you feel about contouring ? I would love to try it out! And whats your beauty must have make up or not, I just bought kat von D everlasting lipstick and it is nice but I ate dinner & it's kinda came off quite a lot :/ hmmmmm pretty colour though.

Biggest challenge? Uh.. all of it? I usually just don't bother. People will just have to put up with my acne and "blah" looks, I guess.
  • W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    _barefoot_ wrote: »
    I think eyeliners look hot on a guy & on woman it brings out there eyes .

g3g58qnu1hxq.jpeg

I agree!
  • BoosDimples
    Options
    I’ve recently discovered a good, cheap primer: Collection, primed and ready. Also, Rimmel Insta Fix n go works well.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    As I got older I had more and more trouble with liquid liner. I found one at the dior counter that works well, easy to put on and lasts. You should definitely go to the mall makeup counters and try some stuff!
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I love getting done up and wearing makeup, but I’m lazy and so only wear makeup when I’m going out somewhere, I don’t bother with every day stuff. The upside? I usually get way more compliments then my friends who wear full faces every day

EDIT: also my new favourite bit of makeup? I just bought a matte red lipstick from a local producer and OH.MY.GOD. I never thought I’d wear red, but damnnnn I love it
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

Nikki10129 wrote: »
    I love getting done up and wearing makeup, but I’m lazy and so only wear makeup when I’m going out somewhere, I don’t bother with every day stuff. The upside? I usually get way more compliments then my friends who wear full faces every day

Yeah one of my work collegues who doesn't wear makeup at all normally, when she does get dressed up. People don't recognize her! She looks stunning with make up though, just shows you what make up can do it's pretty amaze balls.

Haha it’s funny because I always get quizzed on my middle name, DOB, and asked for a third piece of ID because I don’t look like my drivers license picture (combo of weight loss, makeup, and contacts) makeup can do some pretty cool stuff
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I'm good with make up as I've got artistic flair :smile: liquid eyeliner I no longer use as it's too harsh for my 48 yr old skin.

Good eye brows are where it's at - I find if my brows are looking good (yeah they now need a bit of help/ infill with brow shadow) and my lips are done minimalist serves me well for the rest of my look.

Everyone has their own idea of how they want their make up to look. I feel its important to keep changing makeup styles as being stuck in a makeup rut is really aging.

Currently I'm finding a grey/purple shade of eye shadow as a liner makes my eyes pop, it defines my eyes without the harshness that black or brown can do.

I'm a huge fan of Benefit cosmetics especially their 'they're real ' mascara.