Juicing yes or no

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I'm considering a juice fast to jump start my weight loss efforts. Your opinion would be appreciated!

I guess it depends on why you are considering it and for how long.

It wouldn't necessarily be unhealthy if done short term. It may not feel like punishment or be unpleasant for you. It may help you reach your goal a day or two sooner.

BUT, it could be unhealthy if done for too long or in the short run if you have health issues. It could feel like punishment or be unpleasant for you. It may not help you get to your goal any faster.
  • jbrown2339
    jbrown2339 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Why not blend? I do smoothies with fruit and veggies and use vanilla yogurt or almond milk....they taste good but I keep the fiber. Juicing seems wasteful given the loss of that fiber.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your insight. I think i will continue to eat healthy and replace my coffee with creamer and artificial sweetener with a glass of fresh juiced vegetable. :)

Can't hurt to give it a try and see how it works for you. You can always go back to the coffee :)
  • StevefromMichigan
    Options
    jbrown2339 wrote: »
    Why not blend? I do smoothies with fruit and veggies and use vanilla yogurt or almond milk....they taste good but I keep the fiber. Juicing seems wasteful given the loss of that fiber.

When I have a protein shake, I usually blend in a banana. What veggies do you use? Any thoughts on what would go good with a banana and vanilla protein powder?
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I have never done a juice fast, but I do drink vegetable juice. It is an easy way to get some extra vitamins and minerals from food. I feel better, and I enjoy drinking it. I really think you should do what you enjoy and helps you.
  • jbrown2339
    Options
    kazgorat1 wrote: »

When I have a protein shake, I usually blend in a banana. What veggies do you use? Any thoughts on what would go good with a banana and vanilla protein powder?

Kale or spinach work,they impact the color but not taste depending on how much ya add.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    You can get nutrients from the juice without the fiber. Not everyone can digest that much fiber. I can't at this stage of my life and I want the extra nutrients from the vegetables. You don't know the condition of every person on Earth so the blanket statement that any juice is bad is just ridiculous.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

When I do a smoothie my favorite vegetables to add are winter squash (including spaghetti squash), which I pre-roast and keep in the refrigerator; cucumber; avocado (technically a fruit); fennel; kale or spinach. Others that I have added include green pepper (has to be with the right mix as it has a stronger flavor), zucchini (okay sub for the winter squash, raw, not cooked), and frozen cauliflower. Obviously I do not add them all at the same time.

I'm not that into bananas, so I use berries mostly as my fruit (sometimes some mango, and in the summer I use whatever combination of fresh fruit seems pleasant -- love melon of any sort). Avocado and winter squash achieve the same kind of smooth texture that a banana does.

I wouldn't find juice filling, and eat lots of veg and fruit in my normal day, so for me there's no point to a smoothie unless it serves as a meal replacement, and as such it beats juice. I suppose if one thinks they aren't getting enough vegetables without juicing it can be okay, but I also would want the fiber.
  • StevefromMichigan
    Options

Kale or spinach work,they impact the color but not taste depending on how much ya add.

I have often thought of using spinich. Do you use raw leaves, frozen, or canned?
  • jbrown2339
    edited February 2018
    Options

I have often thought of using spinich. Do you use raw leaves, frozen, or canned?

Canned sounds gross actually,lol.

Fresh. I put a handful of fresh in the nutribullet with some frozen mixed berries and either vanilla yogurt (not unflavored, that's not pleasant) or vanilla almond milk. Both I usually add water to to make it liquid enough to drink. I use them as snacks, they are easy to make and tatse good. I keep them under 200 calories by not going overboard on fruit. The sweet of the berries hides any spinach flavor.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You can do whatever you want but you won't lose weight unless you consume less than your current maintenance calorie level though. It is unnecessary to eat or drink a particular thing to jump start weight loss.
    I personally do not find drinking my calories to be satisying at all. I seem to need the chewing sensation. I'd say just eat the fruits and vegetables normally.